advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
. actually it's not - it's the way John works and we all benefit from the fruits of his labours- the best is getting better

Indeed it is but unfortunately some folks have this rather absolutist notion of perfection that simply does not exist. When something is improved they cynically assume that mistakes must have been made and the previous incarnation of the product must have been substandard, faulty or, dare I say it, imperfect.

Nothing is perfect. Some products are better than others though and there is always room for improvement. The improvements can be offered as long-awaited behind-the-curve new models at an exhorbitant cost (Apple) or they can be offered as modifications to existing products ahead of the new version coming into production. The latter approach is more transparent. At least the consumer is able to appreciate WHY a product has been changed and that it is not just a case of bringing out a new model for the sake of it.

Regarding my own system, I shall continue to upgrade it as and when something affordable comes along to improve on what I already have. This is not to say that I am dissatisfied with what I've got. Far from it. It's called Progess and it is a wonderful thing. If you lose interest in progress you lose interest in making the world a better place. You may as well be dead.

mind the issue here: it is excellent that Audiolab tries to continuously improve its range. I only was a bit annoyed about the fact that THE SAME product, bearing the same denomination - 8200CDQ (not 'mk2', or 8201, or 8200CDQ ver2, or whatever) is in another incarnation, supposedly better. If all these upgrades would have been presented as a new product, perhaps the frustration of the buyers of the initial product was very diminished.
That's it. Aside from that, everything is more than fine with me and Audiolab.

offtopic: Please, excuse my English..

(though, truth to be told - the audiolab service you are praising here is something available only in the UK, not even in france or germany /let alone my poor pariah state:D/)
At this stage we don't know what service will actually be available, only what is proposed, but the proposal does look good. Once the service is available in the UK I'd hope it would be available in other locations too, but they are going to be at least one step behind the UK. That comes of Audiolab nominally being a UK company. If it were, say, a German company then the sequence would be different

anyway, a bit puzzled with lack of analogue inputs - what was the (digital) device (not once) mentioned here that's a DAC & a preamp in one? is it something that john is planning to offer under his name?
Either the DQ, or the QDAC.
Or you can get a CDQ and get free CD transport :)
What will be offered by whom, when and where is a complete unknown. The only products we know about and can have any sort of certainty about, are the CD CDQ and MDAC because they are all on the production line.

mind the issue here: it is excellent that Audiolab tries to continuously improve its range. I only was a bit annoyed about the fact that THE SAME product, bearing the same denomination - 8200CDQ (not 'mk2', or 8201, or 8200CDQ ver2, or whatever) is in another incarnation, supposedly better. If all these upgrades would have been presented as a new product, perhaps the frustration of the buyers of the initial product was very diminished.
That's it. Aside from that, everything is more than fine with me and Audiolab.
We don't yet know how it will be presented. We are just lucky(?) to have advance warning that upgrades are coming. We have a suggestion from John as to how they may be implemented - but we don't actually know

offtopic: Please, excuse my English..
Your English is good and needs no excuses :)

I just downloaded manual for 8200CD from Audiolab site (8200CD manual 20110428) and noticed something interesting. On page 6 there is instructions how to connect 8200CD to a power amplifier. Is this feature included in the latest firmware?

My current versions are Control 0.7, Servo 67, Mainboard 0.7. Some months ago I asked the importer (in Finland, Audelec) about getting my device updated and they said they really don't know how to do that. Later I asked again and got reply they are getting "Update-pack" from factory and will notice me when it arrives. It was 5 months ago.

I'm planning to get 8200MBs and if I could use 8200CD as preamp that would be great. But as long as its having old firmware I cant..is there anyway I could get my baby up to date?

You can use the 8200CD as a pre-amp with any firmware. They all have a digital volume control to allow this. Just connect it up. Balanced works better than RCA, and you may want to add some attenuators, particularly with RCA to better match the output level to the input sensitivity on your power amp and speakers.

so what's the DAC inside, M-DAC or the one from CDQ?
They've all got the same DAC chip - ESS Sabre 32

They may have different software implementations within the DAC chip (can't remember, but don't remember John saying anything about that)
The MDAC has an improved circuit on the incoming spdif signals to further alleviate jitter

You can use the 8200CD as a pre-amp with any firmware. They all have a digital volume control to allow this. Just connect it up. Balanced works better than RCA, and you may want to add some attenuators, particularly with RCA to better match the output level to the input sensitivity on your power amp and speakers.

Thanks for answer.

However, my current firmware doesn't have "Adjustable" option in Audio output settings but latest seems to have. Sure I could connect it, but I really don't know about the output volume... it says "Output Level: 0dbR (2.0Vrms)" in settings ATM. And I would like to adjust do I want whisper level or full steam :D

Thanks for answer.

However, my current firmware doesn't have "Adjustable" option in Audio output settings but latest seems to have. Sure I could connect it, but I really don't know about the output volume... it says "Output Level: 0dbR (2.0Vrms)" in settings ATM. And I would like to adjust do I want whisper level or full steam :D

Do you have a working volume control on the 8200 CD? I mean volume up/down on the remote? I thought that they all did, but I might be wrong.

Do you have a working volume control on the 8200 CD? I mean volume up/down on the remote? I thought that they all did, but I might be wrong.

No I don't have, I think that was just added on latest firmware (or atleast some later than 0.7). On CDQ which has "factory-enabled" preamp volume control works like supposed and latest 8200CD manual got me interested in getting that adjustable output level to CD too.

Currently CD is connected via rca to integrated amp, but I have plans to get 8200MBs and use CD as preamp if its possible. Otherwise I'm going to get CDQ

I don't get the problem. The CDQ was a finished product and people were happy to shell out for it as it was. If there was no upgrade option then people would have continued to be happy with their CDQs. As an added bonus there is an upgrade option that people can choose to take advantage of should they feel the need. Win, win I say.

anyway, a bit puzzled with lack of analogue inputs - what was the (digital) device (not once) mentioned here that's a DAC & a preamp in one? is it something that john is planning to offer under his name?

There was talk of a Q-DAC, which was to be the lower-priced digital pre-amp, but I think that the marketing people couldn't distinguish it from the DQ. I think that it would now lack a price point: with the M-DAC at £600 and the DQ at £800, does it really make sense to have a Q-DAC at £700?

There was talk of a Q-DAC, which was to be the lower-priced digital pre-amp, but I think that the marketing people couldn't distinguish it from the DQ. I think that it would now lack a price point: with the M-DAC at £600 and the DQ at £800, does it really make sense to have a Q-DAC at £700?

Yeah, with the original target price of the MDAC at 399 with the qdac at 499 they would drop in nicely with the range (certainly the QDAC was what many seemed to be holding out for) but after the spec change (CROSS etc) there has been a blurring in the price points so I can't see it happening.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but...ordered my MDAC yestreday from Superfi. I intend to use it for DAC duties for optical out from my Macbook & digital out from my CD transport, & also use it as a digital pre amp to feed my Bryston power amp directly....no problem so far. However on reading the Audiolab website this mornning, it says 'Selectable DAC mode OR digital pre amp mode'. I hope it can be used as DAC AND pre. at the same time. Superfi were unable to give me an answer.
Can anyone confirm please?

I hope it can be used as DAC AND pre. at the same time. Superfi were unable to give me an answer.
Can anyone confirm please?

Shirley you cant do this? your either your using the variable output or you aren't! Even though its got two sets of output they both follow the volume control.
You could always buy two!:D

Have to say i'd understood that it could be used for both simultaneously - i cant see that it could be otherwise.

there are no analogue inputs therefor the only inputs that can have their level adjusted are the digital ones?

In my case i'm looking to have an old iMac (usb or optical preferrably usb) - MDAC - power amp

-------------------
maybe I dont understand the question or how the MDAC works. Would be good to see a manual or if I wait a bit longer I could just test it for myself :)

Shirley you cant do this? your either your using the variable output or you aren't! Even though its got two sets of output they both follow the volume control.
You could always buy two!:D
I was hoping to be able to feed CD digital out s/pdif on co-axial into coax 1 input & Macbook optical o/p into opt 1 input on MDAC. Then feed either the s/e or balanced output into the Bryston & control volume with the control on the MDAC front panel. Are you saying this is not poss ?

Have to say i'd understood that it could be used for both simultaneously - i cant see that it could be otherwise.

there are no analogue inputs therefor the only inputs that can have their level adjusted are the digital ones?

In my case i'm looking to have an old iMac (usb or optical preferrably usb) - MDAC - power amp

-------------------
maybe I dont understand the question or how the MDAC works. Would be good to see a manual or if I wait a bit longer I could just test it for myself :)
I agree, but it's the 'OR' in the Audiolab blurb that has made me question it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back