advertisement

Astell & kern sp3000

I picked one up second-hand a while back. Used it for a couple of months but sold it on as I found it a bit uninvolving. Much prefer my current Cayin N7.

I find my SR25 frustrating to use, touch screen is hit and miss, firmware updates have improved the speed a bit but it’s not a patch on an iPhone. Had a Pioneer before, lot less feature but was nicer to use. A&K does sound decent though.

Are the expensive A&K or likes of Cayin a pleasure to use or a bit slow compared to a decent smartphone? Bit like streamers for me, live and die by the App and UX.

Had an SP2000, it was the most drab, uninvolving thing ever, along with 64 Audio Tia Fourte, got rid of them both and use my iPhone with Bluetooth ear buds. Sanity has returned.

Had an SP2000, it was the most drab, uninvolving thing ever, along with 64 Audio Tia Fourte, got rid of them both and use my iPhone with Bluetooth ear buds. Sanity has returned.
The Mrs has an iPhone with BT ear buds and it’s very close sq wise, I don’t want to take my phone with me on walks, I'd forget to turn off the Sim and get calls coming in. I do like my wired Campfire IEMs very much, ideally I’d like a DAP with the speed of a smartphone and better sq or at least equal with a balanced out, the Camps do sound a bit better using a 2.5mm balanced cable.

I get that buddy, Solstice?
First image that came to mind was an ugly Naim turntable :)

Had a look on Campfire site, they look like something I’ll consider later on, at the moment I’m trying to move from quantity to quality, had a good few years trying all sorts of kit especially over lockdown, as a result I’ve ended up with a hoard of gear again. Once I have the AV/HiFi systems sorted I’m after a new end game DAP and in ears, hence the interest in the OP post and SP3000. I’ve tried Fiio, iBasso and a couple others without being thrilled, nothing really high end though, at the time the SP25 seemed a safe bet.

Hello
I still have the AK380 copper edition
Great sound , devastating with a decent headphone
Serious competitor to my Lumia U1 Chord Dave , or the Lumin U1 - Pathos Inpol Ear
I would have loved to use it as a streamer , but not possible
By the way , my AK75 still deliver good sound in my car
Then it's a question of taste
Cheers

The AK SP3000 is indeed a pleasure to use. I was fortunate to have it on loan for a few weeks, from a friend of mine that is not a seasoned audiophile, but he wanted the best portable device he could currently buy. I compared it to my Hugo2/2go setup using his Hifiman Arya Organics and my Verum one headphones.

The sound quality and detail retreival of the SP3000 is excellent. Remarkable for such a small portable unit. Its user interface is fast and using Qobus as a native app, was a pleasurable experience. This app also allows you to download Qobus tracks onto the internal memory of the device. This DAP also has a slot for an micro-sd card, and it is fast in creating a database for the management of these tracks.The user interface is slick. Plenty of tweeks for sound adjustments, including cross-fade, equalizer and upsampling

I marginally prefered the sound quality of the Hugo2/2go combo but it was very close. As a complete portable unit with a screen the SP3000 shines. An expensive item, but as portables go, probably the current state of the art.

advertisement

Back