advertisement

As I've always suspected ...

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...inor-grammar-points-are-amazing-2013082378916

THE ability to spot a minor grammar error is proof that you are amazing, it has been confirmed.

Researchers at the Institute for Studies found that people who loudly exclaim about apostrophes and ‘who versus whom’ are actually better than everyone else.

Professor Henry Brubaker said: “In no way are any of these people vain, arsey pedants.

“Grammar perfectionists are both intellectually and morally superior to other types of human.

“The way they selflessly dedicate themselves to correct punctuation, for example by pointing out to the staff of a chip shop why the term ‘chip’s’ is a sloppy obfuscation, confirms they are bold and righteous individuals.

“If grammar people just learned to let things go sometimes, where would we be as a civilisation? Just fighting in mud, probably.”

Why make grammar out to be viceless?

The grammatically obsessed are still obsessed and, strictly speaking, most likely mentally ill.

Why make grammar out to be viceless?

The grammatically obsessed are still obsessed and, strictly speaking, most likely mentally ill.

As obsessions go, it's harmless enough. AFAIK no-one's ever killed anyone over a misplaced apostrophe. Some people can easily spot a grammatical error and get (mildly) worked-up about it, in the same way that other people get annoyed or upset over a picture that's not hung straight, or records not being filed in alphabetical order.

Drem station in Scotland was demolished because of a missing comma and had to be rebuilt.

The instructions said to keep "Drem Station footbridge, etc." instead of "Drem Station, footbridge, etc..".

joe.

there is a very similar story to be written about mouse speed (and grip).

The grammatically obsessed are still obsessed and, strictly speaking, most likely mentally ill

I resemble that remark ! Notwithstanding this, I did notice an errant greengrocer's (or s') apostrophe in one of your posts this morning, Merlin. Accuracy in language is important in conveying a message. Whereas the odd grammatical point can be challenged (the split infinitive, e.g.), the basic rules for punctuation as taught at primary school and beyond are non-negotiable. More complex grammar (conditionals, relative pronouns and some tenses) should have been taken on board at secondary level or addressed thereafter. i.m.o.

Any idiot can make themselves understood orally, but written communication is an altogether different beast. Whilst not everyone can be au fait with the intricacies of grammar etc., there should be, I feel, at least an inclination to learn rather than decry.

the study is incomplete. The paper does not show the demographic analysis that grammar perfectionists, are all old men, who have nothing better to do than sit around and arrogantly pass judgement on younger people who are evolving the language for their contextual requirements. Furthermore it seems the old men, also have a propensity for taking an interest in the old technology called HiFi.

As obsessions go, it's harmless enough. AFAIK no-one's ever killed anyone over a misplaced apostrophe. Some people can easily spot a grammatical error and get (mildly) worked-up about it, in the same way that other people get annoyed or upset over a picture that's not hung straight, or records not being filed in alphabetical order.

Thai has no grammar AFAIK (or the grammar is in the words) and they seem more relaxed in general :) I've seen people lose it over excessive use of apostrophes.

Thai has no grammar AFAIK (or the grammar is in the words) and they seem more relaxed in general :) I've seen people lose it over excessive use of apostrophes.

Yebbut no deaths ensued, whereas if someone in India thinks you've killed a cow, they might hack you to bits. Ditto if someone in another part of India thinks you've disrespected the Koran.

Me, I'm quite relaxed about the grammar thing. I can spot a mistake at fifty paces, but it doesn't bother me. I get mildly annoyed if someone says 'train station' instead of 'railway station', but that's about it. I'm not mithered about cows or Korans, either.

Correcting grammar is condescending. That means talking down to people, by the way.

Unfortunately this is often seen to be the case. John Cleese talked down to Ronnie Barker who talked down to Ronnie Corbet, I seem to recall. However, some people just don't seem to notice how aspects of language are set out in what they read. Possibly because they're unaware of their dearth of linguistic skills so that actual improvement by learning would not occur to them.

Every European language I've been associated with has rules. The Germans are prolific with their gender rules and the French get away without the possessive apostrophe by using 'of my/his/her' etc. (la plume de ma tante). Probably the most inconsistent aspect of English is in spelling (and, ergo, pronunciation), which derives its idiosyncrasies from a multiplicity of ancient and imported languages as a consequence of history.

Joe, why on Earth did you start this thread !:mad:

bai: go
dai bai: did go
ja bai: will go
gamlang ja bai: going to go

I know you don't hear them much but they exist...

bai: go
dai bai: did go
ja bai: will go
gamlang ja bai: going to go

I know you don't hear them much but they exist...

I was referring to the written format Rich - punctuation as opposed to tenses. There are, for instance, no articles in written Thai. Adjectives and adverbs are often interchangeable. The differences are clear and Thai remains fairly impenetrable to idiots like me in its written form. It's an analytic language so uses helper words in sentences rather than inflections to indicate tenses etc.

On a separate note, I do wonder just how the afflicted cope with textese and the use of emojis - particularly as they both have become part of everyday communication for many, linguistic tools which span continents and allow for the easy communication of many words and phrases.

Such developments must have them reaching for the Benzos.

advertisement

Back