advertisement

Arkless Electronics Transconductance Phono Stage

Get on it. Boxes after Xmas.

I'll not be touching anything on it until i fit the boards in the boxes now...

It seems to have got even better after a good "burn in. I was listening to it with a very high end passive I built for a customer between it and the Arkless Class A power amp the other day and the combination sounded jaw droppingly good:) I did do a bit more on the PSU etc after you heard it last.

I had a thread on it on aos which I was going to link to which did have a piccy of the thing.. no more it seems...

Briefly though, It has 3 pairs of Toshiba 16A Vmosfets per channel, 7 pairs of 22,000uF caps in main supply, aux supplies at higher voltage driving regulators for all the stages other then the output stage. 50WPC, 2 x 300VA toroids in PSU. The rest I'm afraid I must consider proprietary as far as detail goes but the whole amp is low feedback and very fast. It will do 100KHz squarewaves of very good quality and 20KHz full power ones that look like the output of the sq wave generator! -3dB >1MHz. It can be used as a flat to DC amp or with a servo for -3dB <0.5Hz, switchable. It was designed to offer the possibility of variable feedback and zero feedback also but I've not put these into practice as yet. It currently uses 20dB feedback.
It sounds very good.

There's a few of us out there... keep the faith:)

We have met in person, briefly, you probably wouldn't remember... You had a huge static display of TOCA amps (including the really massive ones 5' high or so!) at Penta in a massive room which was kind of a thoroughfare. I saw this and thought this looks like a company with money to spend... and came over and asked you if you were hiring design engineers.... it was a very short conversation...

We have met in person, briefly, you probably wouldn't remember... You had a huge static display of TOCA amps (including the really massive ones 5' high or so!) at Penta in a massive room which was kind of a thoroughfare. I saw this and thought this looks like a company with money to spend... and came over and asked you if you were hiring design engineers.... it was a very short conversation...

Oh I do hope I was not rude I can be when there is load of people about I hate crowds and normally hide in the loo at shows.
Shame the TOCA company was own by Germans and the made paint rollers and brush and leather stuff. So Hi-fi was not there main concern, the guy who owned it was a Baron Peter Mattes, a very nice man but he employed a jerk who could have been Geoff brother call Wright and often wrong twat. He ran the UK division of Mark Sterling and they owned TOCA Oh life goes on.

Oh I do hope I was not rude I can be when there is load of people about I hate crowds and normally hide in the loo at shows.
Shame the TOCA company was own by Germans and the made paint rollers and brush and leather stuff. So Hi-fi was not there main concern, the guy who owned it was a Baron Peter Mattes, a very nice man but he employed a jerk who could have been Geoff brother call Wright and often wrong twat. He ran the UK division of Mark Sterling and they owned TOCA Oh life goes on.

You seemed rather "put off balance" by a job enquiry... rather than the no doubt expected "how many Watts is this then?" type question I guess, and were I suppose a little "brusque", but not really rude no. I was left in no doubt that the 30 second conversation was at an end shall we say... I took the hint and walked away. It's not a problem and I would maybe have reacted much the same under the circumstances:)

Any specs Jezz , gain , f.response?
Would be interesting to compare against my slightly tweaked Paradise , DIY version has a fair high freq. lift and a little bit at the bottom to make it more entertaining type of sound, main is almost flat .

Good luck! I think I will follow this a bit as I am a phono stage short at the moment. Interesting.

let us know when you're ready to send demo unit , I'm definitely up for it
Hi
Currently running a p75 mk3 but now looking for my “final” phono stage please add me to the list for a demo unit when available please
Kind regards
Tony

Perhaps a demo unit that could do the rounds on a 2 week pre booked home demo ,paid for in advance refundable type service would be good

for selling some of these Jez.

advertisement

Back