advertisement

Are people mental...... ?

EAN - 0602455435613

A quick search and I can't find it in the UK and in Germany it is around 60 Euros.

It happens all the time, many years ago there was known trend of selling DVD’s on eBay for pretty much double what they could be bought brand new from a shop. I remember at the time the theory was that there are people that only live in an eBay bubble, so they don’t shop anywhere else and there is weird psychology to listing something well known, that people think is rare, in an auction environment.

FWIW if you want a copy of this album my advice is just find an early UK copy as close to a first press as possible. Used to be an easy find, but getting far harder to find clean ones, but even so shouldn’t run to a fortune. I’ve got one that could pretty much pass as new with -2 matrixes both sides, poster, inner etc and the extent to which it killed a more recent issue (the last 2xLP anniversary issue) was just comical. It is a very good sounding record. One that really didn’t need any screwing around with.

PS Several years ago I spotted a copy of the Nimbus at the local auction. It was a nice copy, in great condition, but in with a whole load of shite I really didn’t want to have to skip (scratched Elvis, brass bands, just junk). Unusually for that place someone else must have spotted it as the lot went over £200 (can’t remember what exactly). I bailed fairly early as I just couldn’t be bothered. Still a good price for the Nimbus as it can make >£700, but to be honest I struggle with stuff at that sort of price as I don’t sell on eBay or Discogs. I’ve never had one pass through, but do rate the Nimbus stuff (I’ve got four and sold loads over the years). They are very, very good sounding records even if they just look like a typical ‘80s reissue!

There does appear to be a mindset of “over bidding“, or perhaps “not knowing when to stop” at auctions.

I know that I’ve been guilty myself on occasions. I recall getting into a bidding war over a particular s/h CD, only ducking out when I had to leave to go off to Brighton for a concert (Yes with the orchestra on the Magnification tour). We’d got up to over thirty quid by this time - it was a quite rare Sally Oldfield CD. All friendly - you could email other bidders in those day - so wished him well, and got a nice response.

One week later, the album was reissued. Seven quid from Amazon.

Has it occurred to anyone that the sales may be bogus, just to boost prices?

I'm not sure it's OK to use "mental" that way any more. It can be offensive to some. "Mental" is a serious involuntary problem to many (Gazza?) so using it a s a derogatory term might be seen as a bit off?

Has it occurred to anyone that the sales may be bogus, just to boost prices?

I'm not sure it's OK to use "mental" that way any more. It can be offensive to some. "Mental" is a serious involuntary problem to many (Gazza?) so using it a s a derogatory term might be seen as a bit off?
That it might, perhaps I could use other language like do not people have any common sense?

I'd also suggest if the sale(s) were bogus it would not have sold.. i.e put up for sale again. I've been in a few auction bids where the winning buyer dropped out & I came 2nd where I was offered to take the item at my bid price. On at least one I felt I was in my rights to refuse which I did & the seller seemed anything but happy.

FWIW if you want a copy of this album my advice is just find an early UK copy as close to a first press as possible. Used to be an easy find, but getting far harder to find clean ones, but even so shouldn’t run to a fortune. I’ve got one that could pretty much pass as new with -2 matrixes both sides, poster, inner etc and the extent to which it killed a more recent issue (the last 2xLP anniversary issue) was just comical. It is a very good sounding record. One that really didn’t need any screwing around with.
FWIW I have the Classic records pressing which I think sounds just dandy.

Cash converters use ebay as a reference point so I guess a wily seller would put up a bogus auction to boost the price and then wander into Cash Converters .....maybe?

advertisement

Back