advertisement

Arcam, Klout or what

Minio

Kind of Sort of Not really...
I've borrowed a Linn Klout for comparison wth my Arcam 10P driving Neat Momentums.

I find it a little tighter and faster sounding but ultimately more grey and lacking in life, so have gone back to the Arcam where more of the atmosphere comes through. It is an early 90s Klout as opposed to a late 90s 10P.

I wonder if a service would benefit the Linn amp given its age or am I better off going for Naim (say NAP 250) to tighten up the sound without robbing it of life?

The Klout spells refinement and groove; attack...not so much.

Were you running the Arcam as a Pre to the Klout?
You probably need a better solution there to fully benefit from the Klout.

Given sufficient amp power, its the Pre that defines the sound.

Early smooth fronted Klouts are not as good a the later ones because of the protection circuit.

Hmmm, IME a klout totally hammers an alpha 10P, it is pretty revealing though and is best used with a very good source and pre, works a treat with the linn kairn!

The Klout spells refinement and groove; attack...not so much.

Were you running the Arcam as a Pre to the Klout?
You probably need a better solution there to fully benefit from the Klout.

Given sufficient amp power, its the Pre that defines the sound.

Really.......

My source is a Naim CD5X (HC) and the pre a NAC72 (HC) Logically I would have gone for a fully serviced NAP 250 as an upgrade to the 10P but my finances haven't stretched that far yet.
I don't think I could live with the Klout though.

My source is a Naim CD5X (HC) and the pre a NAC72 (HC) Logically I would have gone for a fully serviced NAP 250 as an upgrade to the 10P but my finances haven't stretched that far yet.
I don't think I could live with the Klout though.

I have never tried a klout with naim pre, I'd expect a NAP 140 would be ideal, as well as much cheaper than a klout.

I have tried a Nait 5i but again preferred the fuller and more controlled sound of the Arcam. From comments elsewhere on this site the Momentums need a fair bit of power to get going.

Whether system synergy or sample variance is the issue here I think I may go back along the Naim road. No disrespect to the Linnies. (I loved my old Linn turntables).

Just a thought but I had an Olive NAP250 and moved over to an Avondale power amp using two toroidal transformers, two sets of cap boards and two Nap250 boards. It bettered the Nap250 to the extent that there is no way I'm ever selling mine. Oh, I got change back after I sold the 250!

I've never been impressed with any Linn amps that I've heard - lacking musicality.

I have tried a Nait 5i but again preferred the fuller and more controlled sound of the Arcam. From comments elsewhere on this site the Momentums need a fair bit of power to get going.

Whether system synergy or sample variance is the issue here I think I may go back along the Naim road. No disrespect to the Linnies. (I loved my old Linn turntables).

Non taken, I like linn, arcam and naim kit rega too, they all have their merits :).

As arkless said, if you're happy with what you have, stick with it.

"If you like the Arcam then stay with it..... "

Yes I will. The glaring omission with this amp has always been Arcam's lack of a decent partnering pre-amp to do the power amp justice. I had an Alpha 10 integrated but found the power amp to be the much better part of it.

Hence I have the rather incongruous looking partnership of Naim and Arcam. I must convince myself not to judge a system by its looks.

Unless you've already heard one in your system, I really think you should try some sort of Naim/Avondale amp with your 72/HiCap. I cannot imagine any Arcam amp being as rewarding, everything I've always heard from Arcam has been on the safe side.

I'm in Sussex, where are you? You're welcome to borrrow mine as it's tucked up in the cupboard. This isn't a sales pitch because I ain't selling!

Not all Arcam is too "safe". As I've found out, it is the pre-amp stage that lets down the Alpha 10 integrated. I've had good results with the 10P power amp and other pre's like Conrad Johnson and Musical Fidelity. Some earlier Arcam pre amps however (as installed in their integrated amps eg the A80 et al) are too geared for facilities rather than sound quality and in my experience rob the dynamics from the music.
I'm in Norfolk. I'd love to try the Avondale but I guess there's around 150 miles - a little too far for me.

I had a look at the circuit diagrams for the 10P and I would certainly expect it to outperform a NAP250. Linn amps I've only heard some of the older models like the LK280, which I thought were bloody awful!!

" the (Arcam) 10P ...I would certainly expect it to outperform a NAP250..."

15 year old Arcam 10P £300
Olive Naim NAP250 £1100 +

The above might be true but the following numbers don't look right even when they are as far as I can see!

Not only that, you get a Headphone socket and Speaker switching with the Arcam which can be handy if not outright audiophile.

If it is true I'd better stop dreaming of a NAP250!

" the (Arcam) 10P ...I would certainly expect it to outperform a NAP250..."

15 year old Arcam 10P £300
Olive Naim NAP250 £1100 +

The above might be true but the following numbers don't look right even when they are as far as I can see!

Not only that, you get a Headphone socket and Speaker switching with the Arcam which can be handy if not outright audiophile.

If it is true I'd better stop dreaming of a NAP250!

72/HC/250 is a classic combo with great performance, still keeping good value and resale
i'm not sure they're enough for your speakers which really need some juice

Hi Minio:

Since you like the Alpha 10P Pwr amp, have you considered an ARCAM Alpha 9 preamp, which on paper looks rather nice.
526175-rare_arcam_alpha_9_preamp.jpg

You may be able to find one on the second hand market.

It cosmetically matches your Alpha 10 Pwr amp and should partner it well, the Alpha 9 also has a remote control.

Not too sure I agree about ARCAM preamps being too safe though, I use an ARCAM A80 integrated amp as a preamp feeding into a P90 as the power-amp and to my ears it’s a very nice and flexible combo. The A80 makes for a very neutral detailed preamp and the P90 will drive just about any loudspeaker you can throw at it. The A80 also has a very good phono-section all be it MM only. I tried my NAC 72 as well as my NAC 12 with several amplifier combos and to my ears naim Pre-amps seem to work best with naim Pwr-amps.

LPSpinner.

advertisement

Back