advertisement

ARC - Audio Reproduction Company ...

There is another electronic Crossover for an original pair of ARC 202 with a Nytech CP 122 and two CPA 602's ....

SiyJaXR.jpg

e5bnyUE.jpg

25luKfZ.jpg

Regards from Germany

There is progress on the ARC 202 .... really nice sounding speaker. Tested it over the weekend power by the new electronic crossover ...

AEcYf9r.jpg

Prepared for new Drivers ...

fwnbbst.jpg

Sockets changed to Hirschmann ....

29LsJ18.jpg

Old and new Drivers .....

ggQRm73.jpg

Living EXO on the test bench ....

Best regards

Just to give you an update ...

Quite interesting things are happening.

I met one of the Owners of ARC. He was thrilled about what we are doing and quite proud, that people still are satisfied listening to their wonderfull speakers.

We will definitely try to bring back the speakers. They are too good to gather dust on the attic ��

To bring it again into your living rooms we tried to contact also other people involved in the development of the speakers. I'll keep you updated ....

Have a look here ....

https://www.facebook.com/NeroAudio/?ref=settings

Just fitted my mk2 ARC 101s with new Scanspeak D2008 tweeters & bought a DBX active crossover & couple more power amps to replace the KEF tweeters that someone had fitted way back in time and “whatever I had lying around” passive crossovers I was using just to make the speakers work. Will try to upload some pics if I can remember how to do it.
So I’m now using a bridged-mono Crown D-75 amp per mid-bass and a Crown D-60 in 2 channel mode on the tweeters.
Can anyone suggest how I can set the gains of the amps so they’re all matched to the same level? Do I need to just try & find the point at which they clip? And is there way I can do this without a dummy load? As none of this kit is exactly new, and may well not be to spec, would finding the clipping point not necessarily make the amps matched for output compared to each other?
I tried measuring the output of one of the D-75s (bass amp) with volt meter whilst playing a test tone & then attempted to set the gain on the other to achieve the same value. They sounded fairly close but on one amp the knob was at 12 o’clock whilst the other was at 3. Similarly with the D-60 (treble amp) one channel was at 1 o’clock whilst the other was at 5 for the same output on volt meter and again they sounded ok. Not sure how accurate any of this is; incl my hearing because it also sounded ok with everything turned up full.
The active crossover has both channels set the same - crossed over at 3.3khz with the individual levels for input & output all set to 0. So this shouldn’t be affecting anything as both channels are equal.
It does sound excellent, especially compared to using the speakers with passive crossovers; the bass when you turn it up a bit is awesome, first time I’ve heard a sealed box speaker with a bit of power behind it and while its ultimately not going as low as my transmission lines, it’s different and just as good but in a different way. And now the Scanspeak tweeters have had time to bed in they’re starting to sound sweet as well.
I just wish I knew how to properly set the gains on the amplifiers....

Would anyone happen to have a price list for ARC from when these speakers were current or any old hifi magazines that give prices they could list please?

Would anyone happen to have a price list for ARC from when these speakers were current or any old hifi magazines that give prices they could list please?
If it helps at all, I bought a pair of 050s without crossovers new from Grahams London N1 for £227.50 in April 1982 which would've been list price as Grahams rarely gave discounts.

In 1982 I wrote a Hi-Fi Answers full page query on the Nytech/ARC active system (with prices) and in 1983 produced a 4 page review looking at the performance and cost going fro a Nytech/ARC passive to a full long-lead active system (think there was a table of prices in there). If that's of use to anyone just PM me.

I do remember doing a factory visit to ARC. Rather than my usual habit as a product reviewer of pulling people's speaker's apart to find out what was in them it was suggested my wife Alison and I would like to build a pair of ARC101s for a very special customer - the Chairman of ARC (Alistair's dad). A more enjoyable way of finding out what went into a speaker. Hope they are still working! (Jeremy had a red TR4a shell in the factory which proved very distracting I recall.)
DGP

World Hi-Fi Guide(1981) by Johnathan Kettle has them in a recommended system of a Linn Sondek (£299) , Nytech CTA-252 XD (£299) ARC101(£260).It states these are typical prices
Hope this helps
Cheers Mick

I bought my ARC 101s direct from the factory when they went under for £150 with stands.

I've just stumbled across this thread, and joined the forum. I'm doing a loft clear-out, and have an immaculate pair of ARC 202s in original boxes, complete with standard cabinet mounted passive crossovers, plus a pair of upgraded remote passive crossovers. I also have an unused pair of bass drivers, which unfortunately were damaged in the post -they were sent bolted together from the factory, but dropped on one end, so the rim of the aluminium basket is bent. Surrounds, cones, coils and magnets are all fine.

I was going to put these on Ebay, but wondered whether they might be of more interest to someone on this forum?

Cheers

Mike

I think you will find there will be lots of interest for both the speakers and the drive units!
NRWler04 actually went to the trouble of getting the drive units manfactured again so he must think they are very good! Look for Nero Audio on Facebook or the www.
If Brexit handn't have happened then I would have been making you an offer, however exporting second hand hifi to Germany is just not worth it anymore.

I've just stumbled across this thread, and joined the forum. I'm doing a loft clear-out, and have an immaculate pair of ARC 202s in original boxes, complete with standard cabinet mounted passive crossovers, plus a pair of upgraded remote passive crossovers. I also have an unused pair of bass drivers, which unfortunately were damaged in the post -they were sent bolted together from the factory, but dropped on one end, so the rim of the aluminium basket is bent. Surrounds, cones, coils and magnets are all fine.

I was going to put these on Ebay, but wondered whether they might be of more interest to someone on this forum?

Cheers

Mike

Hi mike, are these still available or have you been inundated with private messages?
Regards

Hi there. Just ended to read this very interesting post. First owning a pair of atom i recently got 050 and i want to renew passive filters but as they are sealed the solution could be buiding remote items. Do somebody around here knows where to find original specificarions and sheme to proceed?
Thank you for your help.
Regards from France.
Fred

advertisement

Back