advertisement

Apple Keynote. Have I missed something?

It's actually the same whatever the $/£ ratio is.

£999 is inc VAT, $999 is ex sales tax, so a comparison is more $999/£832.50

Bargain.

Mind you $999 is £753.45 at today's rates.

Stephen
And it appears cell phones are duty free into the EU. Which is surprising. Given a turntable will cost you an extra 2%.

Paul

Joe,

I see your most basic Nokia mobile and raise you a crappy seven-year-old Samsung flip phone.

Joe

I just don't get what's so special about these new features.
It looks like it has a nice case but that will be covered anyway.
The video I saw didn't talk about specifics like screen resolution, etc.
It just seemed like a gimmicky video but maybe it was edited for a specific audience.

It's only capitalism at work. If people don't buy the new model every year the company goes bust. So if the new features aren't something that folk need, well, you just have to keep telling them that they do until they believe you.

Joe,

I see your most basic Nokia mobile and raise you a crappy seven-year-old Samsung flip phone.

Joe

Ha! Mine doesn't even flip. It's also shared between three of us; at the moment it's on a Greek island, the lucky bastard.

Joe,

Mine is in my pocket, beside the house keys.

Joe

Joe,

Mine is in my pocket, beside the house keys.

Joe

I rarely carry mine around, thus defeating the whole object of a mobile phone. OTOH, it's not likely to get scratched by my house keys jangling against it in my pocket.

Mrs H has occasionally pondered the idea of getting a smartphone, but as a dyed-in-the-wool technophobe, she has so far avoided doing so. Her best friend's son works as an Apple guru, and he gave his mother an iPad for Christmas. She told us that he commented wryly the other day 'For all the use you make of that iPad, I might as well have given you a polystyrene tile'.

Joe,

I got my mother an iPad mini as a Christmas gift. It stayed in the box for about a year until she gave it to my daughter.

Joe

There are plenty of mobile phones out or coming out that are topping out towards that grand, Red has one due for 1500 buckeroos.

Apple get a lot of press, but as usual they are not first here

Phones are a mystery to me, I've a keen interest in technology and have always built my own PCs including many high end desktops, but I don't get phones or why people are willing to spend that sort of money on one.

I suppose it comes down to whether you're glued to it all day or not, if you live on it then I guess it's not hard to justify, where as those of us who only need to charge it every 3rd day wonder what all the fuss is about.

^ I agree, they can be extremely powerful, useful and creative tools for some people, and if you're intent on using them to that extent then £1k is worthwhile to them. Of course it's a ridiculous amount if you just want a phone to make the occasional call and text.

I don't really understand the outrage though, it's pretty simple if you don't want one, don't buy one. A lot of modern art leaves me totally cold, but others are happy to spend millions on it, good luck to them.

For me, someone born in the mid-60s, it is just astounding technology. As a child I expected a future of jet packs, space travel, flying cars, cures for cancer etc etc. None of that happened, but we got a device that makes a Star Trek communicator look like a total piece of crap in comparison. The iPhone, and even more so in its shiny new buttonless X guise, represents that future. A computer far more powerful than any mainframe even the US military had in the 1980s that operates via touch, voice control, has GPS, a pro-grade digicam, arcade-quality gaming built in along with the ability to hold about a month's worth of lossless music and even has a telephone built in. Add to that the best mobile apps on the planet for whatever your interests, so you can use it from anything from an analogue synthesiser (a proper Moog, Korg etc) to a heart monitor. Come on, it is bloody amazing! Alternatively you could buy a fancy interconnect for a hi-fi system for the money!

PS Sure, as ever, there are other smartphones that do some of this stuff, some may do some of it better, and did some of it last year, but what Apple do time and again is to do it better and as a cohesive designed whole. If the best Android phone is £7-800 or so I would so happily pay the extra £200!

For me, someone born in the mid-60s, it is just astounding technology. As a child I expected a future of jet packs, space travel, flying cars, cures for cancer etc etc. None of that happened, but we got a device that makes a Star Trek communicator look like a total piece of crap in comparison. The iPhone, and even more so in its shiny new buttonless X guise, represents that future. A computer far more powerful than any mainframe even the US military had in the 1980s that operates via touch, voice control, has GPS, a pro-grade digicam, arcade-quality gaming built in along with the ability to hold about a month's worth of lossless music and even has a telephone built in. Add to that the best mobile apps on the planet for whatever your interests, so you can use it from anything from an analogue synthesiser (a proper Moog, Korg etc) to a heart monitor. Come on, it is bloody amazing! Alternatively you could buy a fancy interconnect for a hi-fi system for the money!

PS Sure, as ever, there are other smartphones that do some of this stuff, some may do some of it better and dud some of it last year, but what Apple do time and again is to do it better and as a cohesive designed whole. If the best Android phone is £7-800 or so I would so happily pay the extra £200!

Nail on head Tony.

Right, i'm off to buy some fancy interconnect...

Tony,

...but we got a device that makes a Star Trek communicator look like a total piece of crap in comparison....

Captain Kirk: Do you think we could create a sonic disruption with two of our communicators?

Mr. Spock: Only a very slight chance it would work.

Captain Kirk: [mockingly] Well, if you don't think we can, maybe we shouldn't try.

Mr. Spock: Captain, I didn't say that, exactly.

For the record, that sonic disruption caused an avalanche, allowing Kirk and Spock to escape.

Star Trek Communicator: 1
Apple iPhone: 0

Joe

Sure, as ever, there are other smartphones that do some of this stuff, some may do some of it better, and did some of it last year, but what Apple do time and again is to do it better and as a cohesive designed whole. If the best Android phone is £7-800 or so I would so happily pay the extra £200!

Being a natural cynic I tend to hedge my bets. I agree the technology is extraordinary - that goes for all smartphones - but don't think Apple have a monopoly of best ideas, products or systems. They probably have the canniest marketing, though. I use an Android phone and an iPad and think this gives me the best of both worlds. An excellent dual-SIM phone that cost under £150 and a tablet with a nice big screen for those synth apps (I really wouldn't fancy a modular Moog on an iPhone!) Total cost was under half the £1k we are all mentioning. And they don't try syncing up with each other unless I ask them to, which is a bonus in my book!

Tony,

OK, I'll give you that, but you can't do this with an iPhone (jump to 1:30).

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Arguing that an Iphone is no better than other phones is the same as claiming a Bentley is the same as a Ford Focus. In many ways it is, it just does the same job.

But most people understand the difference is about more than about 4 wheels and tyres.

Mobile phone technology is astounding.

I grew up in the 1960s. My grandfather was a long standing radio ham. In the 1970s we would have conversations about radio technology. The extended family went on holiday to Finland in 1977. He reckoned with a bit of work he could rig up a car to car radio system, but did not try it.

A few years later I am standing in a street in Hong Kong talking to his widow, my Grandmother who marvelled at the technology. Her Grandson flew around the world and telephoned her. She remembeedr as a girl the first automobile arriving in her Hampshire village...the local doctor.

If you sit and observe carefully we are going through a human revolution right now. My kids can hardly believe how 'primitive' my life in a tied cottage on a farm was in 1962 - going to school on the milk float. We had just got a very first TV then, as many families, but we still did not have a phone in the house, nor central heating.

Next? Implanted 'computers' so the world can communicate to all our robots and friends directly?

Arguing that an Iphone is no better than other phones is the same as claiming a Bentley is the same as a Ford Focus. In many ways it is, it just does the same job.

But most people understand the difference is about more than about 4 wheels and tyres.

I don't know if that was aimed at me, but if it was I don't get the analogy. Unless you are equating Bentley and iPhones as status symbols, which I understand. And if it wasn't aimed at me, sorry, forget I mentioned it!

advertisement

Back