1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Keynote. Have I missed something?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony Lockhart, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

I meant entry within the line of X models. I would love one but hmm, i'll stick with what I have, 6S for work and not caring about, 7 Plus which gets completely different treatment, both sound mighty fine with an AQ RED DAC.

We all knew they were going to push the 1k mark, and so they have.

2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

A new 6s is £450. If you want (nobody needs) an X luxury pricing applies as it does to cars, clothes, wines, restaurants and the top of every consumer product supply/demand curve.

3. merlin

merlin pfm Member

Just my opinion.

If they want that money they can **** off.

I feel sorry for parents, partners and many others who will feel the pressure to spend twice what they need to on their loved ones when the marketing BS kicks in.

Typed on a 2008 MacBook 3.1 using 6.8.

**** them.

4. wacko

wacko pfm Member

The miserable state of £ justifies Apple just using USA pricing and replacing the $ with a £. I will be keeping my 6s for a while yet.

5. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

The new iPhones are cheap relative to fancy mains cables and interconnects but, wow, toys are getting expensive. On the other hand, I marvel at our ability as a species to send each other animated crap emojis. Back in my day the best we had was a flaming bag of crap left on a doorstep.

Joe

6. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

Apparently not.

7. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

having only read about the device, i just realized a day later that it is called the iphone TEN and not a tribute to malcom X.

vuk.

8. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

It's actually the same whatever the $/£ ratio is.

£999 is inc VAT, $999 is ex sales tax, so a comparison is more $999/£832.50

Bargain.

Mind you $999 is £753.45 at today's rates.

Stephen

9. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

lf technology keeps advancing at this rate I predict it won't be long before we will all be able to buy mobile phones for more than £1000.

10. canonman

canonman Mirror slapper

11. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

A video for the new iPhone just appeared on my facebook feed. I watched it. Is that all there is?

I bet the face recognition only works 4 times out of 5 and people just turn it (just like that fingerprint BS). Really looking forward to people doing their animated emojis at gigs and all that. Maybe they will drop it an add the cracked iPhone screen brigade.

They're clutching at straws. Do you really need that fast a processor to... i) make phone calls, ii) look up contacts, iii) play Spotify, iv) play the odd game/video? Although if I want to magiically make a dinosaur appear with the augmented reality stuff I guess that would really make my day complete. It's not an xBox.

12. avole

avole pfm Member

What is it that makes android users so jealous, andyoz? Do you get so heated about owners of Rolex watches whose timepieces are no more accurate than a 10$ Casio?

13. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

Less accurate.

14. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I just don't get what's so special about these new features.
    It looks like it has a nice case but that will be covered anyway.
    The video I saw didn't talk about specifics like screen resolution, etc.
    It just seemed like a gimmicky video but maybe it was edited for a specific audience.
    Here's the video.
    The only thing that grabs me is the camera but others seem to be very close anyway.

[YOUTUBE]mW6hFttt_KE[/YOUTUBE]

15. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Can you use the new watch without an iPhone? If so I will probably go for a watch and a 4G iPad mini for email and safari. I just don't need all the silly stuff.

16. merlin

merlin pfm Member

Why they haven't come up with head mounted ones yet God alone knows tied in with ophthalmoscopy and retinal imaging. Tied to face recognition and head movement surely it's the future?

[​IMG]

Most people have the bloody things virtually glued to their ears right now so why not use just the one sense in future given that people are finding sense more and more of a rare commodity.

Leaves the hands free for something far more appropriate for someone dumping a grand on a phone.

17. doctorf

I think not.

18. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Will an iPhone X bought in US work on U.K. Networks particularly BT?

19. doctorf

I believe so.

20. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Well, I don't actually own a smartphone, just the most basic Nokia mobile that I bought about five years ago, but there's a price hierarchy in everything, including bicycles. A quick Google shows mountain bikes range from about £750 to over £6,000. Is there a 'right' price to pay? In that price range, is the cheapest too cheap, or the most expensive too expensive?