advertisement

Anyone replaced woofers in old skool heybrook HB1?

SimonH

Hi folks,
I have managed to pick up locally an old skool pair of HB1s with the woofer surrounds all trashed. This cost me about the price of a few packs of biscuits...
It will be fun to get these fixed then I'll keep them as spare or let one of my lucky buddies enjoy some 80s style music making...!!!

The woofer says VIFA M2TWG9 on the back, but I guess these aren't made any more...

Has anyone got/used/tried a suitable alternative? or is it just a case of paying a man to put new foamyrubbery bits around the cones???

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, gang!

Si
:)

If the surrounds are foam then refoam them, and do it yourself. It's quick, easy and cheap.

Google for "refoam". I did some JPW P1s and some old AR bookshelves. I won't say "good as new" but almost, and cost me about 25 dollars each pair.

Hi there
Like SimonH I would recommend refoaming. I have also refoamed some 'speakers in my time and found it interesting. It does not take long and is not at all complicated as long as your are careful. Works a treat and not too expensive. I got mine from http://www.newfoam.com/kits.asp and got the duluxe kit. The shims were helpful although not absolutely necessary.
Definitely worth a try with a very good chance of being successful.
Raphael

Simon, Ive the same prob with HB1's, and looked into all that could be done. I know for sure Madisound (US) seem only place that seem to sell replacement drivers (none in UK). Alternatively I found Heybrook were fab (one chap in particular- cant remember his name! who had 'personal stocks' of tweets/ woofers) -so contact them. Try ebay too, Ive seen the odd one there, and got some 'mk3' tweets for £25.
As a footnote, Ive redone the cabs which look superb now with Wilmslow iron on wood veneer (£12-dead easy). If you do the refoam, id be very interested to know results.. regards fellow HB!'er! Captain

Thanks guys!
I'll investigate refoaming!
After a bit more web browsing I think the vifa M21WG09 units which are listed on the wilmslow website might be suitable... They look about right... but I haven't spoken to wilmslow to check... (maybe I misread the label on the back of my units?)
Will also try heybrook themselves...
Refoaming sounds like fun though! I'll report back if I try it...
Cheers,
Si
:D

NewFoam in the States are good. You get all the bits and a video (PAL option) showing you the how-to.

Thing is the foam kits are probably same/more price of new drivers with posting?? Also I think you must have exactly the right woofers to suit cabs/ crossovers eg another 6'' vifa may well not work properly..all not as straightforward as Id hoped anyhow! Capt

Good morning,

I was searching for a Heybrook HB1 but this old topic came first. I will use the following manual on YouTube:
Special for this speaker from Vifa M21WG if I'm right.

Best regards, Eric

After a bit more web browsing I think the vifa M21WG09 units which are listed on the wilmslow website might be suitable... They look about right... but I haven't spoken to wilmslow to check... (maybe I misread the label on the back of my units?)
Yes, I'm sure that you misread the back of your unit as "21" is the diameter of the cone in centimetres (roughly 8.27 inches).
Apparently the units that both Wilmslow Audio and Falcon Acoustics are selling are recent production using the original Vifa tooling.
Looking at the datasheet, it is the same driver as used in the HB1, as well as JPW P1, AP2, and AP3...

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/downloads/Vifa/M21WG-09-08.pdf

One time frequent contributor on here, Guy Sergeant formerly of Audio Innovations and lately of Puresound fame, was selling these drivers as well. He was also listing replacement foam grilles for the HB1 and HB2.
Might be worth dropping Guy a line at:
[email protected]
+44 (0) 1822 612449

advertisement

Back