advertisement

Anyone for a wooden arm?

Hi, Velvetsunrise

How do you cope with the deferent expansions rates/seasonal changes between the wood and metal?
It’s a joint that is going to work lose over time.

That’s why all metal arm will be better.

They do look good but I wouldn’t make one my self.

Pete

Hi, well, I don't take my hifi into the garden in the middle of winter, nor my 54 Les Paul. Differing expansion rates is a non issue. Ebony and Rosewood are extremely stabel materials if properly seasond, and of course well oiled.

I have never had any problems at all with movement or splitting. And the frets in my 50 year old Gibson are also still very secure

Cheers

Ebony is possibly ilegal to sell or distribute without an CITIES licence in Euroville and elswhere as its a UN level ban. The only normal get around is recycling of old pieces of ebony- Bagpipe makers cant get it anymore
Excuse my 6 pence worth there!

There`s always a silver lining....

I can see that in mass production and completing orders it matters that no two wooden arms are going to sound the same, but as an esoteric one off, why does it matter?

It wouldn't matter if you got one of the best sounding ones, but how would you know.

Pete

Hi,

I can't say I have heard any difference between one piece of AAA grade Ebony and another. Density between different pieces of the same species are relatively constant provided similar grades are selected. How the armtube is finished does however seem to affect the sound somewhat.

Comparing different although similar woods, say rosewood and ebony, again audible differences are not huge, more down to cartridge compatibilty than the particular sound of the piece of wood

This of course is just based on my limited experience of around 20 builds. Armtube wall thickness, taper, shape and finish would seem to offer greater variables to sound quality than the particular piece of wood used. But wood seems to me to be an excellent sounding material for an armtube.

Hi, well, I don't take my hifi into the garden in the middle of winter, nor my 54 Les Paul. Differing expansion rates is a non issue. Ebony and Rosewood are extremely stabel materials if properly seasond, and of course well oiled.

I have never had any problems at all with movement or splitting. And the frets in my 50 year old Gibson are also still very secure

Cheers

would rather see photo's of your 50 year old LP than tonearms..

It maybe bamboo Jim but not as we know it - looks like half the dogs bollox

Im sure a really amazing Japanese bamboo arm exists but even as a member of the content with wooden arms

this isnt one I can commend - except to the owner who I hope enjoys it

Like his platter mat though it too needs a clean

advertisement

Back