advertisement

Anyone else hate bass boom and ported speakers?

Bigger drivers > ports

Ports are a bodge at best, a solution to a problem that never should have existed.

Ports are a bodge at best, a solution to a problem that never should have existed.

I would even go so far as to say 'a problem that doesn't exist'.

Now, I won't deny that there are some excellent reflex speakers made. My Royd RR3's (reflex) are far superior to my LS3/5a's (closed box) in the bass. The 'shove some socks into the reflex port' trick actually made the RR3's sound worse. But it worked very well with my JBL L65's and 4331's.

JohanR

Yep hate boomy ports. Thats why i love my PMCs. No nasty porty poo just yummy super low natural bass.

Butuz

Bass quality differs greatly through different speakers. Some will exhibit more boom than others while speakers that do not boom may be seen as having a one-note bass ie. not having texture or articulation in the bass. Bookshelves tend to exhibit less of this trait unless the designer deliberately tunes the speakers to sound that way. Full range speakers are trickier as they interface with room conditions, and they will most likely exhibit some bass issues unless specific methods are used to address the setup or the room.

Not all ported speakers will exhibit bass problems although sealed boxes will tend to cope better in this regard.

advertisement

Back