advertisement

Anybody else find Britten "difficult"?

I would say that Richard C. was expressing a point of view, as requested by the op.

You have presupposed a desire to convert the rest of the world to that point of view.

Since emotional response to a work of art can only ever be personal, and is not subject to argument, that would be futile.

I would say that Richard C. was expressing a point of view, as requested by the op.

You have presupposed a desire to convert the rest of the world to that point of view.

Since emotional response to a work of art can only ever be personal, and is not subject to argument, that would be futile.

It seemed to me he was saying, not just that he didn't like Britten's music. but that there was nothing much in it to like or dislike, which to me needs a bit more explication than if he'd just said the former.

Exactly - he was not just saying he didn't like Britten's music, which would be fair enough, he was hypothesising that those who do rate Britten highly are only doing it out of some national inferiority complex.

Try going onto the main music forum and making a similar comment about, say, David Bowie, and see what kind of response you get ;-)

There are works by Britten I struggle with. But Grimes alone is evidence we have a hugely significant 20th century composer here.

Fine. I just think we can agree to disagree without having to take everything personally.

(Maybe I've been reading too much about Jordan Peterson and his critics lately.)

There are works by Britten I struggle with. But Grimes alone is evidence we have a hugely significant 20th century composer here.

I Totally agree - and if you look at the span of his work in his relatively short lifetime, from the GPO Film Unit works all the way through to the Church Parables it is obvious that he was no one trick pony.

It doesn`t mean you have to like his music but you can`t say it is insignificant.

I Totally agree - and if you look at the span of his work in his relatively short lifetime, from the GPO Film Unit works all the way through to the Church Parables it is obvious that he was no one trick pony.

It doesn`t mean you have to like his music but you can`t say it is insignificant.

I agree with all of that. If you want someone who’s almost totally fallen off the performance radar since his death look no further than Tippett.

Well, a new cycle of his symphonies is underway on Hyperion, so maybe his star is rising again.
I do hope so. There are those who would say Tippett is the better composer. I certainly get on with more of his music as a percentage than Britten's. That said, a select few Britten works are just perfect in my view. One such (for me) is the very early A Boy Was Born.

few months ago my nice friend gave me free tickets to a concert with brittans music with half an hour of sung poems ......oh my gosh it was utterly dire and quite put me off it was so excruciating

Listen to the percussion section solos from the YPGO and tell me that after the whip-cracks the sliding violins is not the sound of painful masochism session for an example? It was not my imagined response, but once it was pointed out to me the whole passage becomes un-listenable after that!

Mind you Britten certainly divided opinion among professional musicians at the time, and in those days their opinions were often formed without the modern tendency to political correctness. So some of what my old bass-plying friend told me - well I would never put them down on paper or onto a public internet forum!

ATB from George

Gosh! My last post was only an innocent observation (although borne of 55 years as a MusB, ARCO, professional musician) made with a view to being helpful, so I wasn't anticipating such a vituperative response. I'm so glad that I didn't stray into those areas to which George J alluded - that might have got us both lynched.

Thank you davidjt for your support but it really isn't necessary. Some arguments are worth resisting, some positions are best ignored.

I agree with all of that. If you want someone who’s almost totally fallen off the performance radar since his death look no further than Tippett.

I enjoy some of Tippet's Music, but not so much as Britten's. I always think Tippet is trying too hard, and puts too much effort into high & worthy concepts, at the expense of plain human emotion which stands the test of time - which is what Britten succeeds at.

I first became interested in Britten’s music when I was at college. It was the sound world that attracted me, although at first I found it difficult to follow the structure without an obvious tune. With perseverance, and occasionally following a score, the music soon fell into place and the effort was very worthwhile. There are tunes aplenty, but not necessarily as easy to latch on to as, say, Tchaikovsky or Elgar. But then again who managed to get the hang of a late Beethoven string quartet on the first few listening?

He is a very interesting, and in some respects, rather unpleasant composer. Tales of the "court" of Britten are legendary; you had to fit in or were banished, and woe betides anyone who alluded to the number of young boys who littered his works. Much of his music was written from the heart as a response to his feeling of being an outsider because of his homosexuality and attraction to boys; or as Hans Keller once called him, "an intellectual paedophile". His works can be of extraordinary power and tenderness juxtaposed. His settings of words are sensitive to the text and bring an extra element as opposed to mere embellishment. Just think of Blake's The Sick Rose from the Serenade for Tenor Horn, an Strings, his handling of Owen's tender and angry poetry in the mighty War Requiem, Hardy's A Time there Was from Winter Words; the list in endless. At the time it helped if one could like or accept the very individual character of Peter Pear's voice. Fortunately there are now performers like Mark Padmore and Ian Bostridge who can provide a valid alternative.

His cello suites and string quartets are, perhaps, tougher nuts to crack. Once in, however, they are immensely rewarding with passages of great tenderness and beauty which I never tire of hearing.

So, The War Requiem a dirge? I really can't understand anyone thinking this unless they turn off before the opening movement is finished. If ones interest is piqued by his music it really is worth getting to grips with, but as with so much music if one wants all its secrets to be revealed on immediately then don't bother. There is world of wonderful pop music for that.

A few suggestions to get a flavour for this most individual of composers:
Spring Symphony, sample the last movement!
Sinfonia da Requiem. Violence and yearning with sarcastic excitement in the middle movement; great sound quality on Britten's own version.
The War Requiem. Best skip the beginning and sample the Dies Irae to see why this is not a dirge, at least not all of it!
Serenade for Tenor Horn and Strings. Try the Blake setting with its searing insight into the text.
Lachrymae. For those with a taste for darker colours and a love of the viola.
Harp Suite. A delight from start to finish, especially with dedicatee Osian Ellis doing the plucking.
Winter Words. By turns witty, melancholic and profound.
Billy Budd. You really do feel as if you are on the boat with, and for sheer genius try the bit where Vere goes off stage to tell Budd of his fate in powerful orchestral chords; a panoply of emotions artfully expressed.
Peter Grimes. Arguably the easiest of his operas.
Death in Venice. Forget the film, this is a worthy transfer of Mann's mulitfaceted novella to another medium. Some of the versions on DVD have been pretty dire, especially the one with Robert Tear, which turns a poignant story into little more than a homosexual romp. Whilst the subject seems obvious it is more about the source of an artists inspiration, its acceptability and its frailty. Probably best to get the hang of his other works before approaching this late, dark and disturbing opera.

Gosh! My last post was only an innocent observation (although borne of 55 years as a MusB, ARCO, professional musician) made with a view to being helpful, so I wasn't anticipating such a vituperative response. I'm so glad that I didn't stray into those areas to which George J alluded - that might have got us both lynched.

Thank you davidjt for your support but it really isn't necessary. Some arguments are worth resisting, some positions are best ignored.

Richard - PM sent (at least I think I've started a PFM "conversation", if that's the same thing)

I often feel when I listen to Britten I can hear him composing. There seems to be a struggle there, and it’s not a pleasant one. I prefer the quartets to much of the large scale works, I also maybe to my detriment associate much of the vocal music with Peter Pears, a singer I struggle to get along with. I find much more in some of the other British composers I enjoy. Tippet, Bliss and Bax are far more satisfying to these ears. I had the misfortune to play for several months Britten’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. It was one of the most tedious experiences of my performing career. I was very grateful on the nights we alternated with Butterfly. I will though make the effort again with the War Requiem. That turgid opening though defeats me every time. I think my problem is I can never work out quite what he is about, there’s often little melodic, tonal or harmonic interest. He seems to be most successful in the small scale, Lachrymae is lovely, but then I’m a viola player, the quartets seem to express themselves quite well, the Spring Shmphiny though, if ever a piece were inaptly named...

My jpurney into vocal and operatic music started with Britten and inevitably Pears, so I quickly attuned to his sensitive but high flown style of singing. If Britten is a marmite composer, Pears is a marmite singer; just as well they found each other :).

My sympathies for playing A Midsummer Night's Dream, and not liking it. I find it rather overlong and its cleverness can only take one so far. I saw the production at ENO a while back and they played the first two acts without an interval, and this is music that does benefit from intervals! That was the production in which the fairies had moustaches. Quite what Britten would have made of that I dread to think; an earthquake was registered that night, centred on the graveyard at Aldeburgh Church, slightly quelled by Pears grinning in the next door grave.

I suppose the start of the War Requiem very cleverly evokes life in the dismal trenches, but the glories of the piece (musically) come later, culminating with "Strange Meeting" a masterstroke, before the coming together in reconcilliation of all the various forces.

These days it is the string quartets and cello suites that I listen to most often, and the fifth canticle which evoke memories of Pears, dressed in a very crumpled DJ, singing it accompanied by Osian Ellis at Basildon in Essex. A fine performance delivered to a hall with barely a fifth of the seats occupied.

Ah, the Spring Symphony which probably could do with a subtitle of journey from winter in spring. When (if for some maybe?) we reach spring in the last part it is all the more radiant for the darkness that precedes it.

Excellent post above from camverton. Maybe I'd add one more piece, Noye's Fludde. This is written for mixed forces and includes very easy parts for children on recorder, violin and percussion as well as audience participation. A live performance, which includes children building the ark can be a very moving and emotional experience. Try listening to the section where the animals enter the ark ("Noye, Noye, take thou thy company..")

advertisement

Back