advertisement

Any thoughts on what to replace TL072 with ?

zanash

pfm Member
I've a couple of amps with these beastie, and I was wondering what I could replace these rather long in the tooth opamps with ?

I've a few BB opa2604 knocking around, but don't know if some of the new opamps might be better.

The amps Incatech Claymore, Quad 707 both use them in their pre stages.

Try an OP27. Whilst not being one of the more technologically advanced, it sounds good.

You could try AD 826 or BB OPA 2134

I swapped the TL072 on the CD input board of my Quad 44 with
AD826 and the Tuner board with OPA 2134

I also changed the TL072 and Phillips NE ??? on the main board to OPA 2604's . My Quad had sockets throughout so I had a fun time trying out various combinations of OP amps on the main board.

I could swear it sounds better - driving a Quad 606 into Dynaudio 1.3's

I was having a very slight hint of sibilance on the Skybox TV input before the mod. CD Input is a battleship Sony ES with Trichord Clock 3 sometimes with sometimes without a Linn Numerik.

Yes Les I know you advised against it with all those solid state switches in the way on the 44. My channel imbalance was down to a duff resistor. Alan at Radfords in Bristol did a great job on it, in record time and for a very reasonable sum.

Any of you vinyl heads willing to swap a Quad 44 Moving magnet input board for a tape or line level board?

Eddie

No I haven't opened the 606 in quite a while. Mine is what I think is refered to as a Mark 1 with the silly recessed speaker terminals. I had it open a few years back to replace one set of terminals with some decent binding posts after a length of NAC A5 did some damage and snapped one connector straight off.

Do you know whether the early 606 has socketed op-amps or direct soldered to the board. I guess I will have to open it up to find out.
I must confess I subscribe a bit to the "if it aint broke don't fix it principle" but if they are socketed I might not be able to resist the temptation. I still have one pair of binding posts to replace when I get a chance so I do have a reason to get in there, and I have some spare AD 826's somewhere.

Eddie

I'm not cerain but Quad normally solder to the PCB. I do have the sevice manual for the 606 early and late models, so if there's anything you need to know, just ask.

Yes I agree if not broke don't fix, but sometimes I'll go for if not sounding very good, get in there with a hot soldering Iron!

Hi!

I would definitely recommend you trying the 2604's, they sound very good IMO. THe 2134 might be better, I'm not sure there as I haven't directly compared the two.

Have never liked the OP27 or 37 - tried them in the past and could never make them swing.

/Fredrik

advertisement

Back