advertisement

Any significant differences between low and high output MC carts?

As an alternative, they suggested I swap it for the lower output version, the HANA EL, which is 0.5 mV and switching to a used Rega Fono MC they have.
Can you demo that in store? Perhaps against P6 with Exact?

Demo update:
1. listened to the planar 3/Hana EH and a Supernait 3/Spendor A7s using via the Rega mini Fono versus the pre in the SN3. The SN3 sounded better by a bit, and the overall presentation was better with this system than with mine at home. But tons of room treatment, etc.
2. We compared the Planar 3/Hana EH side by side with a Technics 15o0C with an Ortofon Red MM cart. Preferred the Planar 3 although honestly they were more the same than different. I assume a better cart would improve the Technics. In the US these decks are the same price.

Next steps- they will the low output Hana Elon the P3 and Rega Fono MC pre and I"ll listen to that tomorrow and decide if I keep it.I'll probably keep it for a while- they are really good with extended home trials.

I also listened to something much more expensive: a Dr. Feickert Firebird TT with a very good MC cart that I don't remember and Naim NAC332/NAP300 and big ATC SCM50s. That was obviously better. But it didn't get me drooling to spend the Tesla equivalent that would take to bring it home- so that was good at least. So a good level set.

Last edited:
Although I must say I am tempted by the stuff you see used/. I am sure there is a lot more vetting and maintenance required in this realm than when buying amps.

Like this one for only $2300- about the cost of a Planar 6.
Linn Sondek LP 12 with Lingo power supply and Naim Aro tonearm for sale.
Afromosia plinth with Trampolin base and Cirkus bearing. Very good condition. .

Like this one for only $2300- about the cost of a Planar 6.
Linn Sondek LP 12 with Lingo power supply and Naim Aro tonearm for sale.
Afromosia plinth with Trampolin base and Cirkus bearing. Very good condition. .
Not a fan of the Mk1 Lingo (not heard the others) but not a deal breaker as it can be swapped out if you want.

Aro is a very popular arm on the LP12, almost cult status. Like all unipivots it has a very organic, fluid sound but a little laid back compared to a conventional arm and not as tight at the top and bottom. Again, it can be swapped out as they are sought after and hold their value. You want the box with it. Fixed geometry so limited ideal cartridge choices.

Bearing type is less important than bearing condition. I'm of the opinion that the Cirkus and pre-Cirkus are different rather than one being better and both can sound fine in the right context.

Trampolin, waste of space but easy to remove and sell.

Afro plinth was the standard finish in the early days. Looks dated now but a lot of people like as it's the quintessential LP12 look.

Good thing about the LP12 is that you can change virtually everything to get a deck that sounds the way you want. Bad thing is that you might have to.

Not a fan of the Mk1 Lingo (not heard the others) but not a deal breaker as it can be swapped out if you want.

Aro is a very popular arm on the LP12, almost cult status. Like all unipivots it has a very organic, fluid sound but a little laid back compared to a conventional arm and not as tight at the top and bottom. Again, it can be swapped out as they are sought after and hold their value. You want the box with it. Fixed geometry so limited ideal cartridge choices.

Bearing type is less important than bearing condition. I'm of the opinion that the Cirkus and pre-Cirkus are different rather than one being better and both can sound fine in the right context.

Trampolin, waste of space but easy to remove and sell.

Afro plinth was the standard finish in the early days. Looks dated now but a lot of people like as it's the quintessential LP12 look.

Good thing about the LP12 is that you can change virtually everything to get a deck that sounds the way you want. Bad thing is that you might have to.
I don't think I would go this route-I don't think I am that committed to the sport! If I fall for vinyl, I would; just cough up whats needed to get somewhere good. It's in the range a new bike, or ski week, etc. So really a matter of prioritization- that's what time will tell.

I don't think I would go this route-I don't think I am that committed to the sport! If I fall for vinyl, I would; just cough up whats needed to get somewhere good. It's in the range a new bike, or ski week, etc. So really a matter of prioritization- that's what time will tell.
A sorted Planar 3 should be more than good enough.

I'd take a stab at it being a combination of the lower output Hana and the need for a punchier cartridge. I'd try something else as mentioned, the obvious choice given the deck is an Exact.

Surprising conclusion

I picked up the P3 fitted with the low output Hana EL and the Rega Fono MC. It was a noticeable improvement c/w the high output Hana / fono mini MM pre, much more lively and engaging. Mostly with the Sepndor A7/Supernait 3 combo.

I saw that a new P3 had surfaced in the sho[p since yesterday, fitted with a new Exact 2. So exactly (see what I did) what was suggested here. We listened back and forth as many times as we could tolerate- and actually preferred the low output Hana over the Exact.. Both were brand new but the Exact sounded sort of shouty and in comparison.

Both setups were super close in price- the Exact a few hundred more than the Hana but the MC preamp more than the MM. Only other differences; the Exact deck is a bit newer, and the one with the Hana has a metal subplatter rather than the standard plastic, which is said to have been an upgrade of some sort. IDK.

I took the P3 Hana and I’ll just use it for a while. Luckily I have no bits to switch around at home.

P.S. At home, either I like it better out of the gate or I am just getting used to its sound, but better than first go around. More dynamics, more presence, more detail. And output amplitude much better. One of the other guys at Hawthorne (who has a P6/Exact) commented when he thought it sounded pretty feeble with the high out put MC/MM pre.

As an aside- I am very impressed with the Spendor A7s. A modest sized 2-way that sounds BIG, balanced, and rich. Not overly warm but lush.. They are $7K here- presumably a better buy in UK?

Turns out what I really need to do is replace my old Virgos.

Last edited:
A P3 will run a low out output or high output very well. Get yourself a decent phono stage, anything from Rega fono mc upwards.
I have used both the Hana EH and the Hana SL on my P3. The major difference on a standard phono stage is that the EH requires a fono mm, and the EL ( or my SL) requires a fono mc or better.
The EH will need more gain, or the volume on your amp turned up ( as will most high output MC carts). If you are interested, you can run the EH on an mc phono stage but will need to vary the load via dip switches or other configurable inputs on a more advanced phono stage.

I’ve put some thoughts here

advertisement

Back