1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Any other musicians here? What noises do you make?

Discussion in 'music' started by Seeker_UK, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

Apart from Fox, is there anyone else on here who makes music and if you do, what sort.

I'll offer my compositions to start the ball rolling, an amateur collection of shamefully 70s / 80s electonic influenced stuff:

My Soundcloud page here

Lets hear yours.

(And if anyone wants to advise how I can master my recordings better to make 'em less 'flat', I'd be grateful ;))

2. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

I play pedal steel, and sing. Classically trained(vocal performance degree)

but yeah, my main thing is acoustic and pedal steel, singing, engineering and production

3. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

ill gladly tweak your stuff , gratis man...or listen to it and make suggestions(via pm of course)

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

Thx :)

5. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Tenor sax & clarinet, though I've recently started again after a 10yr break for family reasons. I'm debating with myself whether I have the time and energy to do the whole band/gigs thing again. One day, maybe when our kid is grown up and more independent. For now just a bedroom player (trying to figure out old jazz solos/tunes, and practicing improv. to my Jamie Aebersold CDs.)

6. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

I've been playing guitar, badly, for 45 years. Typical Baby Boom guitarist - vintage gear, great tone, no chops.

7. Dave Decadent

Dave Decadent Live Fast - Die Young

Guitar for me too:
    [YOUTUBE]lSNSKHSIMMU[/YOUTUBE]

8. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

fixt

9. gct

gct pfm Member

Played mandolin in Old-Time band playing for step dancers for 16 years.
    Guitar for 35 years - pretty poor considering the years.
    Generally mediocre at most instruments I turn my hand to, fiddle, keyboards, hammered dulcimer. I don't practice enough. Plenty of practice on the mandolin, though.
    I have no imagination for composition so envious of the electronica posted by seeker_uk, really nice. Well done!

10. gct

gct pfm Member

I've just seen Dave Decadent's post - Alcester Warwickshire? I play in a folk session there.

11. jackiechansthem

jackiechansthem pfm Member

I play some guitar and drums. Enjoy songwriting and am very thankful for Autotune and Ableton - absolutely not a professional musician. 'Nuff said!

12. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Pianist, organist, composer, conductor and singer (choral). Done a bit of broadcasting etc. but my biggest claim to fame is surely playing piano on Partners in Grime by the immortal Ivor Biggun.:D

13. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Is that a Hofner?

14. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

:D Very honest. I'm similar. An old "The Paul", but at least I've slimmed my amp down to a Vox tonelab which I put through a PA if I want it loud, which I usually don't because I'm embarrassingly bad.

I finally accepted I would never be a guitarist about 10 yrs ago and sold my Fender bassman to the lead guitarist in the band I was then playing tenor sax in.

Now I just use guitar to get the sound of chord sequences that I'm trying to improvise on sax over. It's a real help to play a polyphonic instrument when learning to improvise, even if you don't play very well.

On the subject of vintage gear I recently went down that route on tenor sax, picking up an old rather sad looking (but great sounding) King Super 20 tenor, and a custom Otto link tone edge mouthpiece. Having lots of fun now trying to sound like some of the 60s blue note recordings (and failing due to lack of chops !)

15. Dave Decadent

Yeah it was at The Swan supporting Army of Skanks - a captive audience on a Saturday night :)

16. Dave Decadent

Nah it's a Yamaha Violin guitar; don't see em often. I wanted something that didn't look like 'heavy metal'.

17. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

ditto - and still only play in the bedroom! I've never had the determination/patience to really practice and learn basic theory.

My wife recently bought me one of these -

http://www.voxamps.com/pedals/vdl1/

which has reawakened my creativity - can almost sound like Fennesz when I get it right!

Kevin

18. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Viola, violin, bass guitar, piano and organ. Did some playing a lot of years ago in that London, Bournemouth and Wales, but nothing serious for a long long time. Claim to fame is being on a Lisa Stansfield Album, but not getting my name on the sleeve as I was depping for someone, and they forgot to change the name before it went to the printers. Also got hit on the head by an orange when Meatloaf thought it would be nice to have a string sextet warming the crowd up before some of his concerts way back in the day.

19. madscientist

madscientist pfm Member

20. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

stu, send me a track you want mastering with your 'colourful description' of any changes....ie warmer, fatter, louder, even more loud, really really loud....or whatever.
    i just followed you on soundcloud from my little pet project pages.
    simples ;)

liked your chilled stuff a lot.