advertisement

Any lawyers or solicitors here that can help ?

I will take the wording out entirely as I trust the judgement on this forum.

I simply wanted to make two bookshelf speakers, an 8 inch (sealed box) 3 way with a dome mid, and a large (sealed box) 12.5 inch 3 way. I have made (not commercially) about 40 different types of speakers and it is just something I've always wanted to do, make monitor speakers like this.

No thin walled enclosure, no ported box, no BBC style, etc. Although I have my own ideas and approach, I've always liked British audio, I've liked the older products (Naim, Linn, black faceplate Cambridge) and I was a dealer for some of these. So for me, they stand for praciticality, musicality and "no frills". That's about the only thing I'm consciously trying to do with these speakers--give them those attributes.

Except for the fact that the large monitor has to wind up looking like this (how else could it look, given I want to use a rectangular box), then I don't want to misrepresent it as anything else but my own design.

You need to read more carefully, I didn't say they had no right to name it or express it how they like.

I gave my opinion as a potential customer - and as we know the customer is always right.

The customer is always right, and I'm taking that wording out. These are very much my own designs.. But, as in a lot of endevours, nothing is ever entirely original. And given the fact that I'm constrained to use rectangular cabinets, they have to look like something. I appreciate your input.

Good for you Stumpy, I think that is a smart decision. What do you think are the key attributes of your speakers that might attract customers? When you can answer that, perhaps you'll have your angle?

The customer is always right, and I'm taking that wording out. These are very much my own designs.. But, as in a lot of endevours, nothing is ever entirely original. And given the fact that I'm constrained to use rectangular cabinets, they have to look like something. I appreciate your input.

yes good for you - I think that is the right move. So where can we hear the little ones in the UK?

Well, no where yet. I've yet to get an importer. I'm just starting out with it. The larger one isn't ready yet but the little one is ready to go...

Yeah the little ones are sweet. They are smooth but detailed, and the midrange is expansive and rich, like fudge, a blend of soft dome mid and fast/fairly generous sealed bass. The top end is well integrated so you can't hear the tweeter as separate, although the top is a little shy. That's how I'd describe them. I'm shipping off my first pair to a US dealer today.

I don't think the little ones would like to be confined in too small a room but there's always ways to tweak out a system...

I really just started on the large ones. In the past, I've made speakers with large woofers and its hard to make them without the bass seeming dominant. So I went out of my way not to and the result is I have them sounding "accurate but cool" ...

It's not the first time I had a speaker co. I had one in the 1990s, which did fairly well...The best seller eventually was another 8 inch 3 way with a dome mid. I like the format because the upper crosspoint just doesn't exist audibly and it sounds like a 2-way but with much better midrange and usually more bass. Like the Spendor or Harbeth to pull two examples out of thin air...

Last edited:
Good for you Stumpy, I think that is a smart decision. What do you think are the key attributes of your speakers that might attract customers? When you can answer that, perhaps you'll have your angle?

Whatever their attribues are, no one will believe me. It's better to say "Classic loudspeakers inspired by British Designs" lol.

advertisement

Back