advertisement

Anti-static procedure

mega lord

Centre tapped
Hi all,

I have an antistatic rubber mat with a wire connected to it and a crocodile clip on the end. I also have a wrist band which has a wire and crocodile clip on the end. Together with this my soldering station has a grounding point.

I want to use these when handling and soldering some opamps and when fiddling with the transport in my Naim CD3.5.

I have'nt a clue how this appatarus i have should be used and what it should be connected to.

Any advice would be very welcome, plus any general information on correct antistatic procedure.

Thanks stu

sorry if this is a boring subject but it would be of great help to me and possibly others.

These types of Anti-static mats normally have a lead wire ( often yellow) that terminates in a 3 pin pug adaptor that plugs into a house mains socket, or clips onto something like a heating radiator pipe, which will be connected to ground, ( The ones i use at work do), thewy normally have a high value resistor connected in series, both to dissipate the static charge safely and to offer a degree of protection should the earth becoem live due to a fault, etc. . This will act as a soak away for any static build up that you may have on your person, usually built up if you have been walking across carpets , opening plastic and cellophane wrappers etc, etc.

Basically once your rubber work mat is connected to ground you should connect the chassis of any eqipment you are working on to the same ground point ( or the mat ). You can then clip your wristband & tether either to the equipment chassis , or the rubber mats earthing point.

Whenever you go to pick up any sensitive solid state device that is susceptable to static discharge just make sure you are either hooked up to ( via wristband) , or just touch touch one of the Earthed Items before you pick up or touch the the static sensitive device.

advertisement

Back