1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Another B4 Thread

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by keithsnaim, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

I will take 4 please

Thanks

Colin

2. DuncanF

DuncanF pfm Member

Please send me an e-mail.

3. DuncanF

DuncanF pfm Member

Guys, I've moved all details of the group buy to it's own thread. Please only post queries on that thread.

4. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Many thanks Duncan.

5. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

Not having a NAP, I can't say myself, but I would expect the turn-on and turn-off thump to be small.

Of course, best practice is always to turn the power amp on last, and turn it off first.

6. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

Hi binne,

I've got a b4 into a nap140. There's a bit of a minor thump when turning the lot on with the wall socket switch. Nothing alarming.

Pulling the power sulead to the b4 no noise. Plugging it the B4 after the 140 on slight thump, but muted. However, my build has the pots in to reduce the DC offset to a minimum.(R3 R104) See parts list.(BOM) I'm guessing, but a low DC offset would reduce any thump. (Please correct this if I am wrong)

Mike

7. keithsnaim

keithsnaim Gone Fishing

Thanks for the info Mudlark. Just got 2 of the boards from Quasarelectronics. Could they be improved by using Hexfred's instead of the 1N5401 diodes?.

Regards Keith

8. mudlark

Heaven knows. You will have to ask a clever /knowledgeable person about that. When I built mine I asked if the board was Ok. It is way over specced as they are designed for power amplifiers. Power supply noise rejection is good and if using the on board regulators again I have had comments that they are fine.

ESP audio say that fast diodes aren't needed in 50Hz power supplies.

If you want to go better than the boards then it's ask specific questions of those with super ears rather than me.

9. keithsnaim

keithsnaim Gone Fishing

I am waiting for the Hackercap group buy Pcb's to appear. Carl recommends the use of Qspeed/Hexfred diodes in the build. Just wondered if they could be used in one of these boards too.
    I was thinking about the 6A or 8A version. RS stock these too.

10. mudlark

I don't know, but the hacker is a power amp and the B4 draws little power. having said that I am going to try a Qspeed power supply with my headphone amplifier B4.

11. keithsnaim

keithsnaim Gone Fishing

Thats true, Carl informed me that it would be suitable for the B4 using low current Qspeeds because they are quieter.

By the way , the B4 sounds superb in its present form using a salvaged power supply from an old stack system so it can only get better.

12. binnie

binnie Binnie

Thanks PigletsDad and Mike for your answers :)

13. cromodora

cromodora foshfishfie

I'm finally getting round to stuffing the B4 board and am wondering the following:-

1. Is R3 meant for a variable resistor?
    2. Has anyone put a volume pot at the output instead of the input of a buffer?

14. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

Yes, R3 is a trimmer, for adjusting offset to zero, if you don't use output capacitors.

Volume control after B4 is not ideal - the whole point is to give consist drive conditions from variable resistance of the volume control. I suppose if you had some ancient source device that couldn't drive the volume pot, it might make sense to buffer before the pot, but any even vaguely modern source has no problem.

15. cromodora

cromodora foshfishfie

Thank you for replying PD.

What I'd like to do is put together a phono preamp with volume control and using the B4 as buffer after the phonostage. Attenuator will be a Dantimax relays-and-resistors type set to 10Kohm input impedance.

This is what Nelson Pass said about building his B1 buffer.

If you put a buffer in front of a volume control, the control’s low impedance looks like high impedance. If you put a buffer after a volume control, it makes the output impedance much lower. You can put buffers before and after a volume control if you want.

Wouldn't it be better for SNR to have the full output of the phonostage sent to the buffer and then attenuate betore sending it out to the poweramp?

16. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

Which phono stage? Most will drive the 10K attenuator without any problem. SNR is not a big issue as the noise from the front of the phono stage completely dominates.

17. cromodora

cromodora foshfishfie

Its the Phonoclone.
    What would be the drawback putting attenuation last in such a chain?

18. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

The output impedance varies with attenuation. Putting the buffer after the attenuator fixes that.

Phonoclone is op-amp based, and will drive the attenuator without problem. Putting buffer between it and the attenuator will have no benefit.

19. cromodora

cromodora foshfishfie

Thanks for the explanation, PD.