advertisement

Angle Audio Phono Stage

I used one for a year, a Discrete VB moving coil.
The virtual battery makes it extremely quiet, which makes it a shock upgrading to my current Trilogy 906, which does hum a bit.
Before buying the Angle I auditioned several phono stages over quite a long time and found the Angle to beat everything except the Trilogy, which at double the price for a marginal improvement felt extravagant. Unfortunately for me I eventually had to scratch the itch. That's the hifi disease I guess.

I bought a second MM Angle (a basic £100 phono stage) for my second system, but it sadly isn't matching my Quad 33 line input so well and I need to fiddle with bringing the output level down somehow, but that's another story.

The Discrete VB is extremely good and I still have it for sale in the classifieds if you are interested. You'll see that I'm not busting a gut to sell it because the Trilogy hum is bugging me, but if it happened I would.

They are a real bargain and they do returns if it doesn't work out.

http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/angle-audio-discrete-vb-phono-stage.206626/#post-3218593

One of the guys has the one I linked to for sale on Wigwam Forums, so I am going to try the cheaper model and see how it goes.

I had one. It was pretty good for the money, better than the grey sounding Cambridge or Musical Fidelity cheapies. Still have no idea why it was called a 'Virtual Battery' design. Nothing virtual about it - there's a 9v PP3 rechargeable inside.

I had one. It was pretty good for the money, better than the grey sounding Cambridge or Musical Fidelity cheapies. Still have no idea why it was called a 'Virtual Battery' design. Nothing virtual about it - there's a 9v PP3 rechargeable inside.

Guy I am talking with has compared it to models in the range of £400 plus and it bettered them.:eek:

Yes, I'm using an Angle Audio MM stage for the occasional vinyl playback, mine is the two input job with the LDR volume control. I bought it, probably, in 2013 and I was using an Neil Jadman 322 phono stage, powered by a pseudoCap. The Angle Audio standard phonostage suits me just fine, and doesn't take up much space.

Using an Ortofon Bronze 2M into it, I find it, well, engaging, punchy and "organic" enough for me to be happy with, i.e. i'm not tempted to go for bigger, bolder, more detailed, or whatever. Just a great value piece of kit. The LDR volume control/Passive pre is very transparent, too, but the effective from too quiet to too loud range on the volume control is over a very short range, so it's not very convenient. Put it this way, I'd forgotten about it, I pulled it out of oblivion and I'm selling off what it replaced.

Thanks Peter.

Been doing some A/B testing and you have summed it perfectly, the bass is better, vocals particularly harmonies are more dynamic (less flat) it is subtle but it is there.
Now I have heard it for myself I can't now not hear it, so I will I think have to purchase this great little Phono Stage.

I've been very pleased with mine (MM) but haven't had the time to compare with alternatives. If you purchase direct (instead of through e-bay) he will give you a discount which I used to get mine built into a black case to match the rest of my gear. Support includes a £30 (I think) conversion to MC if you require it later on.

Mines a 'Reference 1' which looks to have been superseded by the 'Reference 2'.

advertisement

Back