advertisement

Alternative to Laptop for CD Ripping

GaryT

pfm Member
Hi, I have been using a laptop to rip CDs to a NAS drive for use with my Linn streamer. As this means having to hook up the laptop to my network switch, entailing leads over the floor, I would like to have a more permanent solution that could be left wired in permanently. As I see it, I need something to run the ripping software, then save the completed rips to my NAS drive. I have an external USB DVD reader, so the 'processor' doesn't need to have a drive. Would a 'headless PC' be the answer? I have a Win10 tablet, which I believe is able to remotely access another Win10 PC, so I don't think I need a monitor for the ripping processor. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Gary

Why can't you connect your laptop to your network wirelessly and then either rip direct to your NAS or locally to your laptop and wirelessly transfer to the NAS when you are done? A headless solution would make it much harder to check and change metadata.

Tidal might have most of what you want to rip and then some .. rip the stuff not on tidal...
I gave my kid 50p a cd that she ripped (db poweramp and accurip ) and bought 2 extra cdroms ..a 5000+ collection..was worth it

Why can't you connect your laptop to your network wirelessly and then either rip direct to your NAS or locally to your laptop and wirelessly transfer to the NAS when you are done? A headless solution would make it much harder to check and change metadata.

The wireless router is in another room from the hi-fi, NAS, etc, so I prefer to use a wired network connection. Also, I need to have the laptop connected to the mains, so there are a number of wires strewn about the floor each time I rip CDs due to the layout of my room. Re the metadata issue, whenever the ripped CDs are added to the NAS, Minimserver automatically updates the library, so I can see any issues with metadata. As I said, I have a Win10 tablet, so can install MP3Tag on there to fix any problems.

A headless low-end PC would work just fine - can be pretty much any old PC (I used to rip CDs on a 486 machine).

I take it you've never had any drop outs when using wi-fi?

No, not with my wifi, despite seeing at least 27 networks here. But even if you get a drop out, the file transfer either succeeds or fails, the file doesn't get silently corrupted.

advertisement

Back