advertisement

Airport Security and Speakers

a quick call to Manchester airport will do the trick ask for customs, they should be able to help you would probably need dimensions and weight, if you are talking about pods for your iPhone ish, then you are ok, Genelec 6010BWM just looked up these dimensions and you will be fine,

I would not worry. I travelled from Rome to Tel Aviv with El Al, and if anybody is careful they are, with a large Grundig table radio in my hand luggage and nobody made the least objection. They X-rayed it and saw there was no bomb inside. The worse that could happen is that they take them into a back room and examine them, maybe even open them up, but I'd say it is very unlikely.

I taken a Bosr sound dock on holiday for many years and before that a pair of active labtech speakers. Never had a problem and in fact nobody has even mentioned them.

Pedro, airport security can't actually take them from you. If they won't let you travel with them and you still want to fly then they should offer to store them for you and allow you to collect on your return. I'd suggest you get a receipt. They may not offer to do this and you can't force them to but equally they have no lawful power to deprive you of your own property or force entry into the cabinets. This can only be done with your approval, but if they're not happy with the x-ray and can't then get inside, they'll be declined for travel. They can decline you taking certain goods on board, but they can't keep them. By the way, this is not a matter for customs. I know I'm being a little pedantic here but airport 'security' often overstep the mark. They have no legal powers, all searches are with passengers consent but if declined then there's no travel. This is quite different to exercise of statutory power.

I have heard of airports deciding that speakers are magnetic. There are complex regulations om carrying magnets on aircraft as they can theoretically disturb the compass

advertisement

Back