advertisement

AI Rega counterweight modification

Its a well thought out design with low slung counterweight with reduces the centre of gravity of the arm assembly

This comment was made more as an observation, and nowhere did I say that this made the sound any better.

Patrick is right my terminology was wrong in that the centre of gravity will be lowered rather than reduced.

Hope this clears up any confusion

Well, reduced in height - as it were.

Maybe the optimum is for the CoG to be level with the stylus tip - which is generally below the arm tube?

Calling Darrylfunk.

Darryl.

Would you please afford me the common courtesy of replying go my PM regarding the counterweight you have on loan.

I would like som feedback be it positive or negative so that I may prepare to send it to the next reviewer - I have folk waiting.

Kind regards

John R

John,

your counterweight and end-stub look really good. I like the SME look of it and I guess that if that design works for them, then it must also work for the Rega too.

A question; How does your counterweight affect the effective mass of the arm?

Good luck with it. Looking forward to hearing about availability and pricing in the future.

John,

your counterweight and end-stub look really good. I like the SME look of it and I guess that if that design works for them, then it must also work for the Rega too.

A question; How does your counterweight affect the effective mass of the arm?

Good luck with it. Looking forward to hearing about availability and pricing in the future.

Thanks for your thoughts and kind wishes Mignun!

The counterweight is designed to maintain the effective mass of the OEM arm. This current design - one of which is currently out with Darrylfunk for trial will handle most cartridges in the range 5.5 to 10 gms

Given that we've not had too much interest thus far it is doubtful that we'll make this available until the interest levels rise. We were hoping to pitch this kit at the £70 - £80 level.

Once Darryl has completed his listening trial I can let you have it on loan for you to have a listen should you wish to? Darryl has it for another 30 days as it currently stands.

I have one more kit for loan but there is a small waiting list, though that one is not going out to anyone until I this one back from Darryl.

John R.

I have one more kit for loan but there is a small waiting list.
John R.
Hallo,
i'm interested in that counterweight.
I´ve got a rega planar P3-24 piano with the RB 301 and a benz glider (6.8 gramm). (http://www.hifi-phono-house.com/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=8185)
Since the Benz needs the rega spacer to raise the tonearm, the original counterweigt now touches the lid of the turntable.

Your counterweight is lower then the original, so i would like to give it a try.

kind regards,
Jens from Germany

Calling Darrylfunk.

Please clear your PM inbox. I'm requesting return of the counterweight kit you have on loan.

John R.

hi john,
your counterweight is on it's way....

and i have to say i miss it !

full write up to come.

very interesting.

best wishes
darryl.

Planning to offer these in the new year to Rega owners. I have a couple out on review and initial feedback is very positive one associate suggesting it's better than Michell's Tecnoweight on an RB250. I find it is much better in performance terms than OL's mod. Just need to fine tune the quality of finish before release.

P1000005.jpg

P1000006.jpg

John R.

you sould add a clear top to it so its see thought t see the bolts would look mega good

Hi KKG.

It's all on hold - not enough interest generated for us to take the plunge and produce hundreds of kits in order to get the retail price anywhere near competitive..

In saying that, we firmly believe as do a number of enthusisiats who heard the kit during the loan period felt it was superior to the often touted Michell Tecnoweight.

Many thanks for your interest!

John R.

advertisement

Back