advertisement

AI=Extinction...

Funny you should post that. I was watching the BBC coverage of the Gov AI committie on sat, where the two ministers from the science, technology blah blah dept were answering questions from MPs. The question of protecting content creators copywrite came up.. the ministers answer troubled me.. it went along the lines of :

"we need to get the balance right, so we're going to take the time make sure we do so that all sides are happy"

when challenged with "but the content creators believe something needs to be done NOW because their content is being stolen by AI companies"

The response was "not if we get it wrong"

All above is paraphrased as I don't remember the exact words used. But never the less it seems very obvious from the response that the government believe that allowing AI companies to "push forward this exciting technology" is more important than protecting the livelihoods of exisiting content creators today who's copywrited content is being stolen by the AI companies right now, not in the future. Seems clear the gov are happy that musicians, authors etc may lose their ablity to survive in their chosen profession (or worse starve) if it means that "high tech" is successful.
why should they give a shite about creators, think of the additional 'wealth generation' when businesses will no longer have to pay anyone for any of the work that is involved in creating their logos, advertising etc.

Sometimes the bias is subtle though. Did you know, for example, that facial recognition technology is less reliable with black and brown faces, which may make mis-identification more likely in those communities. That’s generally put down to the training data that was used. With human decisions, you can at least ask the human why they made the decision, and go over the process if you choose to. Not really viable with machine learning AI algorithms, often with millions of lines of code.

How is a facial recognition system ever going to be as good on darker skin colours as on light skin?. The recognition works on reflected light and the less data you have the less reliable it will be. That’s just physics and there is not a lot you can do about it.

why should they give a shite about creators, think of the additional 'wealth generation' when businesses will no longer have to pay anyone for any of the work that is involved in creating their logos, advertising etc.
Yeah and you'll still have that point of view when it's your job that is made pointless by AI. Which unless you're a plumber etc it will be eventually.

If it improves on current systems it can only be a good thing. Case in point, a friend’s son wants his first job in technology, can‘t get past the recruitment algorithms and never given any feedback. Cue a call to a tech company CEO who is hiring, sends his CV directly, interviewed and they couldn’t offer him a job quick enough. Bright as a button and super keen to learn. CEO now questioning their recruitment company and process.
He was lucky then, must be a very small company to get the attention of the CEO. That approach won't work for the vast majority of companies as you'll never be able to find out how to even contact the hiring manager, let alone the HR department or any of the SMT.

I'm currently looking and I've had some negative responses come back so quickly that it was blatantly obvious nobody that knows anything about the actual role on offer even bothered to look at my CV.

To be fair though, this was the case 15 years ago as 90% of jobs go through agencies that are staffed by people who know nothing about the industry they're recruiting for, so if you don't have the correct buzzwords in your CV, it's see you later aligator*. So I don't think AI has made anything particular worse as far as this specific issue is concerned.

*I had an argument with a recruitment agent once, where they said they didn't feel I had the experience the company wanted. So I said, ok tell me who they are and I'll apply directly. When they unsurprisingly said they couldn't do that as they had a reputation to maintain (haha laughable), I asked, "well surely if I'm not what they are looking for what have you got to lose? or are you worried I might actualy lose you your commission when they choose me??" got a whole lot of BS as a reply to that. QED, proved my point.

NB: I've been a recruiting manager and my experience of agencies was that they're next to useless. Was hiring for an experienced telco engineer and they kept sending me CVs of people who only had IT experience (and very often not a lot of it). Must have gone through 50 CVs before I actually got one with any telco experience. Yeah reputation to maintain my arse.

advertisement

Back