advertisement

Adobe vs Capture

Whaleblue

Southbound
Adobe seems to be the default choice, but I’ve got the option of getting a Capture 1 Pro 23 perpetual license at 40% discount with another purchase.

I’m not a fan of the subscription model as I’m not going to be a massive user of either package, so I’d prefer to accept a non-upgradable Capture package for not a lot more than a year’s subscription of Adobe Photography.

The question then is am I making a mistake? Is Adobe easier to use for a relative newcomer, or will I readily grasp either. I’m a programmer by trade, so not any sort of technophobe.

Comments from either camp appreciated.

Capture One Pro had the reputation of being the best raw converter but I have no idea if that is still the case.
Both will have a learning curve but nothing that would be a show stopper.
Personally I'm with an Adobe subscription but also have the Affinity suite (I was intending to drop Adobe and go with Affinity).

I use Lightroom, haven't tried Capture One, but comparisons I have read suggest that LR is simpler to use, whereas C1 is more flexible and powerful. I think the DAM features of LR are better than those of C1.

I would highly recommend Capture, I've been using it for around 20 years.
Never used Adobe Photoshop as a Raw Converter so not commenting on it.

I have Lightroom+Photoshop on an annual subscription of £120 per year. Although I dislike subscriptions on principle, I decided that it was a reasonable deal, considering that it is roughly equivalent to 6-7 years of the outright purchase price of the final “perpetual” releases of those apps (PS-CS6 & LR6, I think?….both of which I have anyway), and it gets upgraded automatically.

Last edited:
I've got Capture One 21 installed alongside LR Classic and tend to use the latter, mostly because I'm used to it. The main downfall with LR was with its handling of Fuji's RAF files but it's come on in a big way of late. For sheer quality, C1 does beat LR in my experience and as mentioned above, it's a powerful tool.

Thanks all. I’ve plumped for the Capture deal with my lens bundle at £175, and my understanding is that I’ll get 16.3.x which offers plenty for me for the foreseeable.

Interestingly, I read somewhere** that the “camera manufacturer’s own RAW converter would be better than a generic, like Photoshop or Capture” on the grounds that it would be optimised for that manufacturer’s camera.

**may have been on a Canon friendly website, so no bias there :D, and of course, they would say that!

But laughing aside, has anyone got any thoughts on that claim?

Interestingly, I read somewhere** that the “camera manufacturer’s own RAW converter would be better than a generic, like Photoshop or Capture” on the grounds that it would be optimised for that manufacturer’s camera.

**may have been on the Canon website, so no bias there :D, and of course, they would say that!

But laughing aside, has anyone got any thoughts on that claim?
I have just performed the immortal sin and done an upgrade, traded my Nikon D850 in for a Z9. Within that purchase I sealed a deal of 40% off Capture One pro, 16.3. same as Whaleblue. I have been using the Nikon NX software for years with all my Nikon dslr’s, recently upgrading to NX Studio, where I had a problem with saving Z9 RAW files. The capture one raw file converter was not as flexible as the NX studio. After meeting a Nikon rep at my local dealership, he advised me to dump the Nikon transfer 2 software and to drag and drop from my card reader into my hard drive, then open the RAW files in NX studio, works and I get to keep my RAW files no problems. The RAW file converter in NX studio enables me to go into the file and alter every camera setting set up when taking the photo apart from iso shutter speed and aperture settings, which I find a whole lot more than adobe and capture one allows, and did I mention NX studio is a free download to any Nikon user, it is also fully supported by Nikons regular updates. The Capture one though is not wasted as it will be used for my Fuji cameras, which incidentally at the moment are running on Capture One Express for Fuji which is very limited in comparison to the Nikon software.
Just my experiences and notes from use.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have Canon’s own DPD software converter for my own 7D & 5D4 cameras, but I find it a bit clunky when compared to LR+PS.
Consequently I’ve never done a detailed comparison of processing a Canon .crx file via both routes.
So, just a tad curious, really.

Capture One 23 here. And Photoshop CS6.
I imagine if CS6 stops working I'll have to get Photoshop on the subscription model. In which case I'll probably get Lightroom and learn how to use it.

Do either LR or Capture One have Control Points or their equivalent, like Capture NX2 that I am currently using?

I find Control Points really fast for creating masks, one of the reasons I am hanging onto my D800.

The software you know how to use is the one to keep.
Sorry but if ever this was true it is here.
I use Affinity and it can do, with experience, everything.

I am a COP user and find it very good for my use. I also have Affinity which is useful for the one or two things that I can't do with COP. I agree with the previous poster that the best software is often the one you know how to use.

advertisement

Back