advertisement

Adjustable height turntable plinth/shelf

G

Guest432

Have just swapped over to a PT1 TT and using a spirit level have discovered that my hifi rack and in fact entire room/floor is on a slant.

The rack is not adjustable so I'd like to put the TT on a shelf that can be levelled.

Anyone have any suggestions on what would fit the bill?

PS - Wall mounting a shelf is not an option.

Can you DIY? If not then I can sell you some audiophile grade beermats and coins. Finest grade precision manufactured shims in both ferrous and non ferrous form.

What is current rack? If coins aren't your bag you could always fit spikes or other adjustable feet to your current rack, or build a plinth with them from a sheet of whatever would match!

Did you turn the sprit level the other way round to check it?

Pete

Tell me about that bear-trap! Fitted a kitchen in my last house using an old level. After hours of trying to level all the units perfectly, to no avail, I eventually tried checking a unit with the level in both directions. The level was out. Lesson learned!

My old bedroom had a considerable slope on floor. The joys of living in a house whose origins go back over 200 years.

IIRCC it took 6 2p coins to level my LP12 from front to back.

I’d happily build you a simple plinth on adjustable spikes, can even include a built in spirit level if you fancy? I’d post you a picture but I haven’t worked out how just yet

Initially thought this was a wind up but was the problem, tried the spirit level the other way round and it is actually level. Thought it was weird as the OL was level when I measured it last year, must have got lucky with the spirit level back then.

Bizarre that a spirit level would read wrong in one direction though.

Initially thought this was a wind up but was the problem, tried the spirit level the other way round and it is actually level. Thought it was weird as the OL was level when I measured it last year, must have got lucky with the spirit level back then.

Bizarre that a spirit level would read wrong in one direction though.

Also impossible, it should show the same difference in each direction if it is o/k, if its different then its faulty.

Pete

I once had a level where the vial had come loose. That was pretty useless. Checking them both ways is a good precaution and something you see fairly regularly in the hands of a skilled artisan.

Big L, yours is mounted on the twist one way or there is some crap stuck to the level on one side.

+1 on coins.

Pete
BTDT - I 'inherited' a couple of spirit levels from my wife's ex who is a shopfitter... both were miles out (revenge, I suppose), I eventually discovered. The circular that came with my Naim ARO was perfect, and the software levels on my Android phone are amazingly good too.

I use a proper hifi bubble level and check it with a small Nott. Analogue one, which (understandably) is accurate. It's the platter which should be the arbiter of levelness (?), then the arm-board. If those two correspond and are level, the rest can be totally out of kilter (I do jest). A tiny head-shell bubble level is useful too, assuming it's good.

There are lots of ways to level anything, from old credit cards through wood slivers to coins etc. If all else fails, go on the piss yourself (jocularly).:D

advertisement

Back