advertisement

adding SSD to iMac...

I read something somewhere (can't remember where I'm afraid, but one of the tech/IT sites) implying that, due to some new development, SSD was about to fall in line with Moore's Law and we are likely to see affordable high-capacity drives fairly soon, e.g. 10TB is likely to be feasible. About bloody time!

Let us hope that you are forced to purchase 10TB super fast drives in pairs with the proviso that one of the pair is used for backup:D

I read something somewhere (can't remember where I'm afraid, but one of the tech/IT sites) implying that, due to some new development, SSD was about to fall in line with Moore's Law and we are likely to see affordable high-capacity drives fairly soon, e.g. 10TB is likely to be feasible. About bloody time!

SSDs have followed Moore's Law. It's just that they started so small and expensive that you don't notice it until you can conceivably afford one, so for most of the time they have been available the price has been a constant "HOW MUCH!?" even thought they were falling.

Those NVMe drives though, oh my. They are based on PCIe 3.0 so 2.2GB/s compared to SATA 3.0's 6Gb/s (theoretical). Read benchmarks look like this:

31114708781l.jpg

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/storage/intel_750_series_nvme_ssd_review/1

To help put Moore's Law into perspective, I came across a couple of receipts for 2.0GB SCSI hard drives, these were refurbed OEM drives and sold as a discount to employees for the sum of £528 plus vat each. These were bought in 1993 and 1995, I bought three drives during this period - all to fit in my PS/2 Model 80 with the uprated mother board.

I cannot find any reliable information relating to changing the pci drive in my macpro, presumably this is doable?

To help put Moore's Law into perspective, I came across a couple of receipts for 2.0GB SCSI hard drives, these were refurbed OEM drives and sold as a discount to employees for the sum of £528 plus vat each. These were bought in 1993 and 1995, I bought three drives during this period - all to fit in my PS/2 Model 80 with the uprated mother board.

How terribly posh! My PS/2 was a second hand Model 30 with a ginormous 20MB HD! Ok, it was a few years earlier, maybe 89-90, but that's the computer on which I learnt DOS, how to program in COBOL, Pascal, WP5.1, dBase III etc!

How terribly posh! My PS/2 was a second hand Model 30 with a ginormous 20MB HD! Ok, it was a few years earlier, maybe 89-90, but that's the computer on which I learnt DOS, how to program in COBOL, Pascal, WP5.1, dBase III etc!

I had the only colour monitor in the office then. Although when I say colour, of course there were only 16 DOS colours and 2 of them were Cyan and Magenta.

Back on the PS/2 _ I replaced the main board with the Reply board with the 486 processor and then bought the Reply board with the AMD 586 (or equivalent)
I persuaded the boss to allow me to upgrade the model 80 at work with the Reply board, it made quite a difference to getting work done.

re Gary and the PCI question.

OWC sell SSD memory attached to PCI see

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/PCI+SSD

I had the only colour monitor in the office then. Although when I say colour, of course there were only 16 DOS colours and 2 of them were Cyan and Magenta.

My PS/2 had a MCGA screen, so 640x480 monochrome and an amazing 256 colours at 320x200, which made Fractint all the more fun, though it could take over a day doing some fractals even at that resolution!

PS I've still got a PS/2 keyboard stashed away as they are about the best ever made IMHO (well, aside from some even more over-engineered mainframe keyboards).

thankfully it's all sorted.
Before: bootup to the apple symbol: 17 seconds. after: 12 seconds.
Before: bootup to login screen: 1:25. after: 25 seconds.
Before: login to all apps loaded: 45 seconds. after: 19 seconds.

It's snappier. Aperture loads much more quickly. I didn't even need to re-load my M$ licenses for Office. bonus.

as an aside the Yosemite beta pre release of 10.10.3 had an update last night that really speeded up everything. As it approaches GM stage they are pulling out the unnecessary developer diagnostics in each ticked off for Release section.

Yes photos is dumbed down, they even dumbed down iPhoto which is a really hard thing to do. While I am using both Win 10 preview and OSX in prerelease I cannot help but think that Microsoft is leading and Apple is following. It frustrates me that I can swipe and press tiles and not even have a keyboard, yet once I am in OSX I have to use the mouse and keyboard.

I have a choice soon, do I renew my Protools OSX and Ableton licences or do I sidegrade to their touch screen ready Windows counterparts? Right now I am considering the latter. At least I bought a Mac so I can run both but I womder just how long that will last before apple goes off into its own ARM Cortex territory.

yes, how the f%&k do I turn off iPhoto so it doesn't try and crash the party when I connect a drive and ask Bridge or Aperture to check out the talent? !

Image Capture. Attach your device the in the pop up tell it to do nothing or launch what you want.

Apple are really confused with its photos at the moment, compounded by the suggestion that 'Photos app' will replace Aperture. Plus iPhot, Image Caputre, iTunes, icloud drive, Photo Stream and god knows what else.

thanks garyi, appreciated.

Yes, I am particularly f#$ked off about Apple's apparent decision to abandon development (evolution) of Aperture.

I am loving the impact that the fusion drive is having on this machine. In addition to the cleanup provided by cleanmymac2 (thanks TF!).

advertisement

Back