advertisement

ADC 10Emk2 and Pickering v15 ame-1.

justshoemark

pfm Member
Hi all.
I have the above cartridges.
The ADC needs a new stylus.
Is this worth doing if so any idea where to get one.
Also the Pickering v15 the stylus looks good. Just wondering what the cartridge is like and what it goes well with.
I have a lenco l70 with an sme arm on.
Many thanks

Are you sure that the ADC model isn't a typo? Based upon the vintage of the Pickering, I'm wondering if your ADC isn't a 10E MkII.

I had an ADC 10 E Mk4 back in 1973 in a 401/33/303/B&W DM3 system. It was a great system but my girl friend broke the cantilever and the replacement Shure V15 Mk3 sounded dull and unmusical. A backward step but perhaps irrelevant here?

How much weight should I set the v15 at? Also what other cartridges are good on a lenco turntable.
It was round this time that the uber-low tracking force boasting really began to get going, so I'd suggest taking the lowest VTF value with a grain of salt (or something far heavier than a grain of salt). For example, I'd go no lower than 1.25g with the elliptical (brown stylus knob, aka 'V-Guard'), and this is also taking into consideration that the suspension will be nothing like what it was when 'fresh' (but which may come back to life with a few record sides of exercise).

pickering-v-15-pg1.png

pickering-v-15-pg2.png

You are welcome, @justshoemark.

Suggest having a search round the vinylengine forums for actual user experiences of ADC replacements. Seems there were still some original NOS floating about up until quite recently. Quite amazing considering that the MkIV was discontinued somewhere round 1969/70.

DaCappo Audio (Denmark) appear to offer the widest selection for the Pickering V15, including Analogis (nude elliptical 'Black Diamond') and JICO (both bonded and nude elliptical at higher prices). There may be other sources of either that are closer (UK?).

Just bumped into this thread while doing some research.

Yikes!!

So much confusing, conflicting information here, on both the Pickering V-15 and ADC 10E.

I’ll attempt to clarify, since I have 26 ADC cartridges with NOS styli, as well as Pickering and Stanton cartridges and styli.

First, the ADC:

ADC came out with its first line of MI carts in 1963, the ADC Point 4 TOTL (black and gold) and its underlings the 660 and 770. In 1966 it came out with the new TOTL 10E MKI (black and gold), and MKII shortly after, basically a better stylus. In 1968 it revamped the line, and came out with the TOTL ADC 25 (black and gold) also 26 and 27, and underlings in the X series such as the 220X, 250X, and others. In 1968 ADC debuted the new TOTL 10E MKIV (black and gold). (no 10E MKIII exists!)

None of the styli are compatible between the Point 4, 10E MKII, 10E MKIV. The styli won’t fit between them. The first 2 series have magnets in the nose of the stylus. The ADC 25 and 10E MKIV have a magnet in the cart body, and a “flux lens” in the stylus to conduct magnetism from the body magnet into the stylus armature. These carts are shaped like bricks with sharp corners.

Styli for all come up on eBay from time to time. The most rare is the original 0.4 mil nude conical of the Point 4; I found only 1 in 10 years of searching! I have 2 NOS NIB R-12E for the 10E MKII, and 2 R-15E for the 10E MKIV. Plus, the nude elliptical R-25 and R-26 for the 10E MKIV, hands down the finest styli for the MKIV.

The 10E MKII is a great cartridge! Tracks at 1.2 grams. But the MKIV is a major improvement over the MKII, and rivals the finest MC cartridges! It tracks at 0.75 grams (R-15E) and 1.0 gram (R-25 and R-26).

Pickering V-15 (Stanton 500):

This is a great cartridge debuting in 1964. It is very stylus dependent for SQ. Most styli were heavy trackers for changers, 3-6 grams VTF. Styli for the 1970 XV15 MI cartridge will not fit, and won’t work on the MM V-15.

The V-15 is a 2-coil stereo MM cartridge. I have 6 original Pickering and Stanton styli, and all of them are just so-so in SQ. Great bass punch, but badly rolled off treble, muted detail. The best, (by far!) stylus I have found is the ($35) EVG Swiss nude elliptical D1500 AT2. It tracks extremely well at 1.7-2.0 grams, great bass, detailed mids and smooth, extended treble. With this stylus, you’ll be amazed by how good this cartridge is! And quite a bargain!

advertisement

Back