advertisement

Active monitor THUMP on start up...help!

justiceklopper

pfm Member
Hi

Some advice for an idiot newbie, please. I just bought a pair of Tapco Mackie active monitors, which I want to use in a second system with an iPod and LCD TV as source.

Running a 3.5mm -> RCA phono lead from the TV's headphones socket (the only audio out on the tv) to a phono plug on each monitor works fine, except there is a really nasty repeating thumping sound when I turn the TV on. I hope I haven't damaged the monitors :-(

If I turn the TV on first then monitors a few minutes later, no issues. I don't get the thumping sound if headphones are plugged in.

Do I need perhaps a source selector with some sort of protection circuitry? I'd prefer not to add another (big) box and my finances are limited. There monitors also have balanced XLR inputs, but my intended sources do not.

Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't have damaged your speakers but it is always wise to turn on the power amps in a system last.

Some pre amps have a delay built into them that shorts the signal until they have 'settled down' and won't make any noise in the speakers.

advertisement

Back