advertisement

Active Crossovers

mickhick1

pfm Member
Can anyone recommend some good quality, cost effective, active crossover kits which would be suitable for my late series Keilidhs? According to the spec, the crossover frequency is 2.8 khz.
Thanks
Mike

This isn't an answer to your question but the Maplin Xover (intended for car use) costs next to nothing at £30ish and is a good start point for experiments. I used it in a DIY subwoofer based on a Goodmans Magister and it was great, I wish I'd never sold the speaker it used.

I just built up one of these yesterday: http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm I haven't actually tried it yet, since I am waiting for a few caps for the power supply: http://sound.westhost.com/project05.htm. Total cost including shipping from Oz and components around $100 for a stereo 2 way Xover. You'll need 2 boards if you need a 3 way.

Hi Neil,

I've used Rod's "project 09" boards for about the last 10 years, driving my Maggie IIIas 3-way active (ie. one PCB per 3-way mono XO). Of course, each one will sound different, depending on what components you bought, but IMO it's a great active XO. :)

The only downside is that the tracks are very thin so, if you do too much component swapping, you're likely to end up with lifted tracks. :(

Few points:

a) are you using the version of P05 which uses the external wall-wart transformer or are you going to buy a trannie and put it in the case? If you are then an over-specced power trannie will make it sound better - I use a 160VA transformer. I made the switch and heard the difference. :)

b) using (relatively expensive! :( ) Nichicon Gold Tune 2,200uF caps in P05 will make P09 sound better than just your every-day caps from Farnell (better bass). I made the substitution and heard the difference! I also use Black Caps for the small DC rail bypass caps on P09.

c) my current fave op-amp is the AD826.

d) if it's relevant, it's very simple to bodge the circuit to give you an 18dB roll-off per op-amp.

Happy listening! :D

Regards,

Andy

Good to read about this. I also use P5/P9.

I believe the new boards are 'proper' boards, ie not home made. This was the first project i completed, so quite easy to do and use of a wall wart means little risk in terms of high voltage. I got a +-15v from maplin for the P05.

Thanks for the tips andy, just what i wanted, ive been thinking of having a go at the P05 for a while with much better caps. Im using OPA2134 op amps, i think.

advertisement

Back