advertisement

A Suitable Epoxy Glue For Aluminium Speaker Cabinets

I used to see demos of "Lumiweld" at bike auto jumbles etc back in the day.. looks similar.
Same thing, different company. You can mix and match, I believe. Effective, but as the "weld" is harder than the original, tricky to file down without taking off too much aly. But very good when done right.

Thanks for all the replies chaps. I think I have decided that the best route is just to get the cases welded.

This should ensure the best energy transmission through the cabinet.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I prefer bolting aluminium panels together rather than welding. Unless you can get full side to side penetration of the weld you're only stitching the edges together and bolting will achieve a better mechanical interface, providing you put sufficient bolts in of course. Bolting and glueing the edge of each panel would be my choice.

Just a thought...Can you not bend/fold the ally sheet into intersecting U shape(s) to cut down the amount of glueing required?

I prefer bolting aluminium panels together rather than welding. Unless you can get full side to side penetration of the weld you're only stitching the edges together and bolting will achieve a better mechanical interface, providing you put sufficient bolts in of course. Bolting and glueing the edge of each panel would be my choice.
And no risk of heat warping. And why do you want energy transmission? I would have thought energy loss would be preferable, and bolting plus a visco-elastic might provide some constrained layer damping? Or have I got that wrong?

You can glue metal long term. I have a bike with bonded titanium tubes, it was made in 1995. It was a Raleigh Special Products experiment of the time, they tried it out and determined that conventional welding was a better solution overall. It's still going now, 20 years and about 20k miles later.

Alan were bonding tubes into aluminium lugs back in the 1970's.

advertisement

Back