advertisement

Harbeth P3es2 & Leben CS300

Valves for 1000 to drive a pair of HL5s'? My thoughts turn to Puresound.
Ive heard the Puresound driving large, not very efficient Focal's with no apprent problems...I'm sure it would be worth an audition.

Good one Tigerjones, except that the higher Class A Luxman models cost twice as much as the Leben CS600. Yes, the Leben does look quite attractive with that cool retro look.

it doesnt need to be a valve amp. i arent so keen on the Puresound TBH. i have had one and i can see its strengths but i dont think they match the Harbeths in this case.

How about a big bad SS class A or AB amp? Usher Reference something-or-other, Aragon, maybe a Sumo Nine Plus... (but they're pretty old now).

Dave, if you had £1000 to spend - 2nd hand, on an amp to match SHL5s, what would you buy? I have tried the Sugden a21a, whcih i liked but on comparison is a bit trimmed ta the bottom end and loses some leading edges but lovely iwth voices and bounces along nicely, A Tube Technolgy Fusion which actually was a pretty good match, it lacked some warmth in the bass and was maybe slightly obvious sounding but all in all i couldn't pick the bones out of it, it just didnt gel with me, even though i couldnt say why.The Leben sounds beautiful, the tone, the presentation, the way it makes the Harbs image much wider and it's sense of air and but it wont give all this at the volumes I like now and again and i cant afford the Leben 600 ( which i guess is probably different tonally to the el84'd 300). The much Harbetherian revered LFD Zero is very rare and probably also out of budget. I could do with a Leben cs300 but with 8 el84s instead of 4! anyone sort that for me??? :)
I get very good results with the Sugden, lovely airy, open, clean, dynamic but a touch lean in the bass. I could happily live with one.

I also like the Naim Nait XS which has a bit more bass warmth than the Sugden but is less open and doesn't image as strongly.

My choice would be a new Croft Series Seven power-amp with a Micro Basic pre. This seems to do most things really well and goes very nicely with Harbeth speakers as Glenn uses them often in his system.

I get very good results with the Sugden, lovely airy, open, clean, dynamic but a touch lean in the bass. I could happily live with one.

Which Sugden do you mean, Dave? Is there a big difference between the 21a and the 21SE? (in my case, for C7 ES3)

What Bourney is saying about the 21a lacking speed on leading edges makes me think that I might personally have some problems if I were, say, to move from Naim to Sugden. But your description is very appetizing.

My choice would be a new Croft Series Seven power-amp with a Micro Basic pre. This seems to do most things really well and goes very nicely with Harbeth speakers as Glenn uses them often in his system.

Having just switched from an A21aP + LDR passive to exactly what Dave is suggesting (though with HL1 Mk4) I'd have to agree with his choice.

(though I'd also add that a little tube rolling doesn't go amiss)

Which Sugden do you mean, Dave? Is there a big difference between the 21a and the 21SE? (in my case, for C7 ES3)

What Bourney is saying about the 21a lacking speed on leading edges makes me think that I might personally have some problems if I were, say, to move from Naim to Sugden. But your description is very appetizing.

I was referring to the less expensive A21a, which is a lovely little amp for the money. Images so sharply with the Harbeths on vocals that you really get the feeling of the singer right there with you.

The larger A21SE is also very good indeed. It's a bit beefier, has more bass heft but is slightly more rounded, not as incisive. Another very good, often overlooked, British amp.

Naim also works very well with Harbeth. Anything from the Nait 5i upwards will do the trick. You need to get on down and listen to some amps.

sorry to come back to this Dave...

does the Nait 5i boogie better than the Sugden?

I would agree with what you are saying about voices with the a21A and also the top end is a bit special but having played with this leben, i do realise that the bass is trimmed slightly on the Suggie. It doesnt lack `bounce' though. I do wonder what sort of job the Nait 5i would do and if i would benefit in spending any more on the XS really?

Tricky. I've not noticed any real difference in the 'boogie factor' of either amp, so wouldn't like to comment on this.

I can say that the Nait XS is a much better amp than the 5i and can also be upgraded later with a power supply if you wish.

Can you get a listen to any of these where you are ?

I can say that the Nait XS is a much better amp than the 5i
May I ask in what way the XS is much better than the 5i ?
I've read it before, but I also read the same story about the SuperNait, but after comparing I preferred the 5i.

I have owned and like both these amps but the SE for me is a real winner. Lovely clean open sound with more power than most speakers will ever need, despite it's conservtive ratings. One of a small number of amps I wish I'd never sold.

Tricky. I've not noticed any real difference in the 'boogie factor' of either amp, so wouldn't like to comment on this.

I can say that the Nait XS is a much better amp than the 5i and can also be upgraded later with a power supply if you wish.

Can you get a listen to any of these where you are ?

i have a local Naim dealer Dave but i wouldnt want to abuse his good will as i would be looking at a 2nd hand unit to get within my 1k budget (for the XS anyway).

May I ask in what way the XS is much better than the 5i ?
I've read it before, but I also read the same story about the SuperNait, but after comparing I preferred the 5i.

Well, it's all a matter of taste. I've certainly never had anyone preferring a 5i to a Supernait.

Hi Bourney,

Most British amps will match well with SHL5. With your budget, consider the old John Farlowe Exposure or Naim.

Have fun

with 1k to spend a naim amp, is it better spent on a modern integrated such as the XS or would something like an older 102/180 show it the door? how would they differ sonically?

i have been offered what seems like a decent deal on a 2009 XS from a dealer with a warrenty but also notice that there is a serviced 180 in the classifieds that i could probably pair iwth a 102 for less money. i am a bit of numb nuts with Naim gear I have to admit.

advertisement

Back