1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

50s Instrumental with horse clip clop sound??

Discussion in 'music' started by Minstrel SE, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

Its driving me mad trying to find what a 50s ?? guitar band instrumental with horse clip clopping sounds is titled.

I have heard it a good few times and they played it on Radio 6 the other day but the track playing information was wrong. Ive been through loads of instrumentals on i tunes but cant find it.

Its in a similar vein to the ventures/shadows and the key is that its a guitar band instrumental with a horse clip clopping sound in the background.

I will have to go and sing it in a oldie record shop at this rate :) That will be embarrassing!

You know it goes dum dum dum da da da da dum ,dum dum dum da da da dum in quite a deep guitar tone with the coconut sound in the back ground :D

Yes Im going mad! Do you just hate it when you dont know the name of a track. I'm not even massively into it. Oh well worth a try. Should I offer a small prize as an incentive ?:)

2. nirvanah

nirvanah pfm Member

If have a smart phone download soundhound and try humming the tune to the phone. You could also use two coconut shells to replicate the clip clopping thing....... Good luck.

3. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Quentin Tarantino would know. Ask him.
    Go to Spotify and play lots of old Link Wray stuff. You may find it there.

4. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

The Spotnicks??

5. Minstrel SE

Thanks everyone. I cant find it under Link Wray or spotniks. Its along the lines of something Link Wray might do but no.

Oh well. In these days of instant track information and referencing its so niggly when you cant place something. It will be a nice surprise when I do finally get it and I will post the result.
    I had better go off and start singing it down the phone to musical experts :)

6. overprint

overprint pfm Member

You don't mean "Mouldy Old Dough" by Lieutenant Pigeon? Although don't recall a clip-clop off the top of my head.

7. JamesJamerson

JamesJamerson pfm Member

Not the track you're after, but, it does have the horse thing going on:

[youtube]7njE6hDPpgA[/youtube]

8. Minstrel SE

Interesting. Come on you all know the one and its on the tip of your tongue :) I just need a pair of coconuts and Tarantinos phone number! :)

9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Have you tried looking under Davie Allen? Sounds like something he might have done.

[YOUTUBE]oT8gXGmTkOo[/YOUTUBE]

10. Minstrel SE

No its not Davie Allen. Its along the lines of The Fireballs, The Tornadoes and The Shadows with titles like Riders in the sky or Geranimo. Its not even music Im much into which is the mad thing. The most similar thing to it is Riders in the sky and Apache.

Every time I see a western themed title I think this might be the one. Can nobody link the horse clip clopping effects which are very prominent?

I will eventually find it even if it kills me (with embarassment) :)

11. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

Happy Trails?:D

12. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Dammit, this is bugging me too now.

All I can think of is the outro of Alma Mater on Alice Cooper's Schools Out. That was a spoof walking off into the sunset like an old schoolboy cowboy western.

Of course, that leads me into Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns or The Good, The Bad & The Ugly theme. Tried that?

13. Minstrel SE

Yes I have thousands of tacks including the good the bad and the ugly, film themes you name it.
    Ive tried Duane eddy. Johnny and the hurricanes and all stuff that might be linked. Its either a 50s or 60s instrumental. I dont think its linked to a spaghetti western film score. Its not the end of alma mater.

I thought the horse clip clopping effect would jog something. A low plodding guitar twang. Dont worry I will get to the bottom of it and post the result.

If you think riders in the sky but different with..... oh who can I sing it to? Its been interesting going on a musical search as it brings up all sorts of tracks.

Im sure other people have songs in their head that they just cant place.

14. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Not the sound I had in my head, but surf/garage with clip clop noises........

[YOUTUBE]ixM7ChmVw_o[/YOUTUBE]

15. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

Is it "Globetrottin" by Top Topham?

16. Ian M

Ian M pfm Member

Just listened to this and it seems to be everything the OP describes.

17. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Top Topham may be a bit young for a 50's instrumental. Not saying that isn't the correct answer, though.

18. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

[YOUTUBE]8iDCPCfh_kw[/YOUTUBE]

thinks'

19. Pete the Feet

Pete the Feet pfm Member

Is it that Heinz group that Richie Blackmore used to play with?

20. Minstrel SE

Something mad like this can take you on an interesting musical journey to the very roots of music.

Its not the Top topham one but its in this general area.... I suppose the shadows is the nearest to it in general feel but it different enough. Almost like a pink panther meets hiawatha type feel :) Oh its impossible without translating the notes to a musical score.

If I knew the notes and timing I would write them down. I will have to hum it to an expert or forever let it fester. I can hardly go to a modern record shop and make a fool of myself.