advertisement

40D to 5D Mk1?

Gromit

Plasticine Dog
I'm getting more and more convinced to try a full frame camera. At the moment I'm using a 40D with a 17-40F4L which is a lovely combination, but having tried a friend's 70-200F4L on the 40D yesterday - and find it too long at its widest setting - I'm feeling that this lens on a full frame body would be perfect for my needs. Then, with the 17-40 taking up its full-frame wide angle postion it would be a good overall package.

I've had the 40D for a few years now, it's in almost perfect condition, and I really like using it but this is an itch I'd like to scratch. Question is, would going to a 5D Mk1 (I've seen a very nice one for sale) be something of a sideways step bearing in mind it's an older design? I don't really do much if any action photography these days, most of the stuff is pics of the children/holidays/buildings/countryside & landscapes etc.

Thanks all. :)

going full frame will indeed widen up your wide angle lenses and shorten your telephotos, but with those two lenses it will leave you a 40-70 gap where most people in the past fifty years would have been taking most photos. Perhaps a 50/1.8 would be a good filler.

I spent a couple of weeks in Hong Kong with a mate who had a 40D and a 24-70 zoom on it while I had the D3 with the 24-70 zoom. He got some good results, but the D3 was better for interior low light shots. I would expect the 5D to be the same.

and, FWIW a link: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=921854

Thanks for the link CP - very enlightening. :)

Yes, I'm very aware of the 'focal length gap' and of course a 50/1.8 would be a nice lens to fill it. I often try to think of the amount of time my 17-40 spends at its longer length and to be honest I probably use it at its wider end more than anything. But yes, I agree, the 50mm would be a handy thing to have.

Chatting to the guys in London Camera Exchange in Lincoln the other day, they all said go for the 5D. Even though its tech is slightly older than the 40D, and doesn't have that much higher MP count, that large sensor can just gather more information = nicer pictures.

If I can get £225 for my 40D (it had new shutter/re-calibration/service 18 months ago) I can see me going for the 5D. :)

The 17-40 is nice on full frame - I got mine originally when I had a D30, then used it on a 10D, and now use it on a 1Ds Mark II. It's a good wide lens, a little soft in the corners at 17mm, and overall not that sharp at 40mm, but that's just picking holes in what is overall a very capable and decent combination.

I've got all the F4 L zooms, the 17-40, 24-105 IS and 70-200 IS and they are all just about perfect for what they were designed for.

The 5D is a bit of an odd camera for me - the results are good but it's not that great in the hand and didn't fill me with much confidence. I'd definitely try and have a play with one before committing. It really depends on what you are expecting, and what is important. The AF isn't that great, but probably about as capable as that on your 40D. The AF points are also very close together in the frame. The shutter blackout is pretty long too, so not that great for shooting portraits of stuff that doesn't sit still (kids etc). The images are great though...

One alternative would be to get an Eos film camera and stick some film through it with your lenses when you want wide - for £50 you have a massive choice of film bodies to choose from and you can probably scratch your wide angle itch this way more cheaply than going for a 5D...

I had a 5d mk1..exceptional Image quality even in todays terms , but one thing you have to be aware of is that some lenses on a FF camera will have quite significant light drop off at the edges, "vignetting" which you will have to correct in PP.

Thanks chaps.

It would appear that whilst undeniably a great camera, the 5D isn't necessarily a resounding 'yes buy it'. I do really like my 40D, and I guess that selling it wouldn't recoup the money I spent out on it 18 months ago but that's life I suppose. JTC has a used 70-200 for sale in classifieds which does appeal, then adding a 50/1.8 I'd be covered across the board lens-wise, whatever camera body I use them on.

I'll try and get to have a cheeky play on a used 5D in the shop.

I was having similar thoughts about going from a 30D to a 5D mkII.

And now considering a new 6D as well......

I used only 2 lenses on my 5D mk 1 (apart from macro lenses 50mm 2.5 and 100m 2.8)
A Canon 28-300L ..amazing lens..excellent IQ and seriously good close focussing..amazing range..but heavy
and a Sigma 12-24...another amazing lens...12mm on a FF is something else..
I travelled extensively with just those 2 and never felt the need for anything else.

advertisement

Back