advertisement

300B valves warm up noise.

Brian S

pfm Member
Do users of 300b valves expect a noise - tinks, pops, or other - as the valves are warming up ?
Thanks to response. Bran S

Thanks for response. The sound was in fact emitted from one only 300b. When I realised, on reversing the valves, it was located in only one, I informed Hotrox and was advised this was not unusual and as the valves were fine on playing music there was probably nothing to worry about. Unfortunately, after a few days, the sound became prolonged and aggressive, probably a danger to a transformer. The valve involved was a new, three weeks old, Psvane black bottle /2. I am awaiting replacements. I had had no sound at all from my Electro Harmonix or my EH gold grids.

Thanks again for help.

wiggle them gently out, and wiggle them nack in gently until properly seated (use a clean cloth to hold them in the process)
If they still crackle and pop, replace them.

Thanks. The valve is defective. What I was asking was: is some noise to be expected from some valves when they are warming up. I have limited experience of valves but my previous valves where silent from the start. I was informed on reporting the noise that it was not uncommon. Soon after the noise became explosive.

then, no its not normal. The only noise from valves IME is when either
the valve gets old
it's broken
or, the pins are dirty.

I prefer my "slightly irregular oblate spheroids" free range, that are sourced from a friend, (she keeps "chooks") lightly fried, sunny side up, and yes, I will have two.

Mr Ed :)

advertisement

Back