advertisement

2018 Grammys

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I see this recording of Shostakovich's 5th won best 'Best Engineered Classical Album' last night. Has anyone here heard it? I also see that it's been released as a hybrid SACD with a 5.1 mix to boot, although I presume the surround mix is atmospheric in keeping with most classical SACDs with multichannel mixes. Anyway, back to my question, what say ye?

61FpzzrIUnL._AC_US218_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've not heard that disc - the mixed program doesn't appeal - but every Honeck disc I've heard on RR, Exton, Supraphon, Sony, and DG (the Dvorak Violin Concerto with Anne Sophie Mutter) has had at least excellent sound and superb playing from the orchestra and original ideas from the conductor. Honeck even managed to make Allan Pettersson more appealing than normal in his CPO disc. I can't imagine this disc would disappoint if the program appeals. Honeck is one of the great contemporary conductors.

Shostakovich's 5th used to be my favourite symphony for a long time until I heard Mahler's 2nd and 3rd symphonies, so I really should give it a go seeing as I have an SACD-compatible system.

I've got the same forces RR performance of Beethoven 5 & 7 in 192KHz/24bit.... very good indeed, very powerful and energetic performances and excellent sound - though maybe just a a wee bit too much of the hall reverberation. Definitely worth their space in the collection.

advertisement

Back