advertisement

2017: WHAT THE F*** IS GOING ON?

Perhaps they’ve had a letter from Supreme for copying their brick.

(I’ll get mu coat.)

Last edited:
I have received a reply:

"Dear John

An unfired brick is surprisingly fragile and we are having packaging issues.

We thank you for your continued patience.

You will be kept informed.

Callender, Callender, Cauty & Drummond Undertakers"

I suspected as much to be honest. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have to change the design to a fired brick that can be refired with the ashes.

Spoke to Jimmy at a mutual friend's birthday party a month ago. Hadn't seen him for a couple of decades, so it was great to catch up.

He won't do interviews, but Bill and him are promoting the Mumufication project, which is why I am in part writing this.

He was surprised and delighted that so many people turned up at the launch in Liverpool.

I told him I haven't yet read the 2023 book. He initially offered to give me one, but then said it was reasonably enough priced to buy.

Jimmy wondered if I was willing to be Mumufied and I told him I was. Alannah, who he is married to, isn't going for it.

Asked if Bill and him would be making music in the future and he said no, that part of his life is over and has been for decades.

In terms of art, Jimmy isn't painting but has put the large scale model of the post apocalyptic world he showed at Banksy's Dismaland into a container. I believe it has lighting inside, and observation ports, so people can look in and see the model. This container is being shipped to different parts of the world and he goes along to talk about it.

Interestingly he said that the money made from PRS royalties has gone down relatively speaking, after I complained how journalist rates have dived. What seemed like a lot in royalties in 1990 isn't in real terms in 2017.

Jack

Last edited:
Screen_Shot_2017_11_24_at_17_49_19.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb4vgtJHNyM/

7" single and audio book with free 7" single (not clear if it's the same one) due for release.
Available on 23-11-17 from the Ice Kream Van, and online 24-11-17 from L-13.org.

Screen_Shot_2017_11_21_at_13_49_06.png

(source)

Failed to find this on Apple Music or Spotify tonight, but have read on FB that is comes out on December 6th. Did track it down on You Tube, or at least 1'.18" seconds of it.

Jimmy's daughter Daisy appears to be narrating a conversation between John and Yoko. John wants them to be called "The Post Digital Underground." Yoko isn't up for it though because "It's too political and there's no poetry to it."

The two tracks don't contain music apparently and are taken from the 2023 audiobook included in the pack. There is also a poster called Burn The Shard.

A La Fu is the Scottish DJ Kenny Atkin I think. Currently listening to his Themes Revisted EP.

Jack

Last edited:
Ooooh, a decision, by email no less:

DECISION

Callender Callender Cauty & Drummond, Undertakers to the Underworld, have made a decision.

Callender Callender Cauty & Drummond have decided to withdraw the unfired bricks specifically made for MuMufication.

The decision was made after a meeting with their brick makers H G Matthews, on Thursday the 16th of November 2017.

The decision was made not to use unfired bricks for MuMufication.

The decision was made because the unfired bricks are vulnerable to damage pre MuMufication, thus undermining their purpose as vehicles of “immortality”.

A further decision has been made to make five hundred replacement bricks that are then partially fired prior to distribution. These replacement bricks will not crumble.

The making of this decision means that there will be a delay in the distribution of Bricks of Mu to those that have already signed up for MuMufication.

The new Bricks of Mu will be available in early 2018.

Those who have singed up for MuMufication will be notified when the new bricks will be delivered.

Those who are already in ownership of an unfired brick will be offered a replacement Brick of Mu.

The People’s Pyramid will be built.”

Both Whiteread and Yentob dismissed the K Foundation with just a couple of lines of scorn. Once again proving that UK art credibility only exists if one originates from one of maybe three art schools and plays the game. I do like Whiteread’s work, but her response to this was disappointing.

The K foundation are too radical - Whiteread has entered the mainstream!

I’m with Rachel and Alan.

Sure, it’s all a bit of a giggle, but it’s meaningless novelty art (etc) to go with mostly novelty music - except for first two versions of wtil and 3am, Chill Out, and Space, which are all great. They appeared on TOTP with Gary Glitter, ffs.

Alex (great fun at parties!)

I’d argue the exact reverse and consider Drummond and Cauty two of the most interesting and radical voices in UK art since the 1970s. The KLF is but one of many outlets. The vast majority of their work is non-music related for a start, e.g. Drummond has almost certainly released far more books than records. Unlike Whiteread, who has really been repeating the same idea for an entire career, their work encompasses many forms, styles and genres.

Yes, hence my ‘etc’ above, many forms of novelty: Timelords, How to have a Number 1, Grim Up North, Kylie Said to Jason, Tammy Wynette, burn a fake million, unreadable novels... and now half-baked bricks, as I wrote above, just like Supreme’s from last year.

Jeff Koons is art, Rachel Whiteread is art, even Banksy is art, trite and painfully unsubtle though he is. This is flogging meaningless artefacts to fifty-somethings who like collecting stuff.

Jeff Koons and Rachel Whiteread are ‘art’ because they went to the right schools and kissed-up to the art establishment/Satchi as did all the “YBAs”. Neither have much depth beyond that to my mind. I’m torn with Whiteread as I do like some of her work, but really she is the Status Quo of modern art except she has just the one chord, not three. Same idea again and again and again and again. Oh look! It’s the space under/in/around stuff! Again! Koons I don’t like much even if he is a lot more varied than Whiteread.

Drummond’s books are excellent IMO. I’d recommend starting with The 17. I also don’t think there is any real doubt they burnt the £1m.

PS On the ‘selling stuff to middle aged men’ thing you do realise they deleted the entire JAMS/KLF back catalogue after the Brits performance piece and have never reissued it. In a world of never ending remasters and reissues that takes some real fortitude as a well compiled box set would sell shed-loads.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back