advertisement

2017: WHAT THE F*** IS GOING ON?

Interesting piece and a reminder of how amazing The KLF were at times. I saw The Orb at The Royal Festival Hall on Friday and they featured Jimmy Cauty in the line up.

The Guardian article doesn't mention Space, Jimmy Cauty's 1990 concept album on the KLF Communications label. I reviewed it on E and acid at the NME. I have no idea whether the review made any sense. Quite possibly not.

Space was originally going to be The Orb's debut album. Dr Alex Patterson worked on it with Jimmy Cauty. They'd known each other for a few years. At one point Jimmy had an argument with Alex and stormed off with the recording tapes. Jimmy wiped out Alex's contributions and released the rest touched up as Space.

Alex and Jimmy didn't speak to each other for years. I hooked up with Alex a couple of weeks ago. I knew The Orb's ambient evening was coming up at The Royal Festival Hall, and he mentioned that Jimmy might be playing with them.

It was great to see them both on the same stage again. Alex and Jimmy used to DJ together in The White Room at Heaven. They had multiple decks, lots of E, and would play different tunes simultaneously with a lightshow. Weirdly enough it all fitted together seamlessly and was arguably the first ever chill out space in the UK.

It was an excellent gig on Friday. Youth played bass, which was loud but indistinct. He occasionally took it off to do a large painting onstage while The Orb played on. It is funny how resentments can fade away.

Jack

I have the Space album on CD, though I think mine is a pirate. It is rather good, though I think Chill Out is better. I saw The Orb lots early on around the time of the first album and singles, though I don't think Jimmy Cauty was ever with them.

I have the Space album on CD, though I think mine is a pirate. It is rather good, though I think Chill Out is better. I saw The Orb lots early on around the time of the first album and singles, though I don't think Jimmy Cauty was ever with them.

I'll check at some point whether they actually ever performed together apart from deejaying.

Jack

I just tried to find your KLF article as it sounds fun. Couldn't find it though, only some old anecdote about Nick Cave. :)

Most of my articles from NME and elsewhere aren't online, because I own the copyright. A syndication agency puts out a certain amount each year.

Later on at NME and Melody Maker etc I believe you had to sign a contract handing over your copyright to IPC.

They eventually sold the articles to another group, who then flogged them to a company owned by a hedge fund in America. It is a very murky area, but I think this is what happened.

Let me put it this way, there are journalists I know whose work is being sold online without their knowledge. The companies involved don't appear give a monkey's. For them it is one of the perks of the digital age.

Jack

It was great to see them both on the same stage again. Alex and Jimmy used to DJ together in The White Room at Heaven. They had multiple decks, lots of E, and would play different tunes simultaneously with a lightshow. Weirdly enough it all fitted together seamlessly and was arguably the first ever chill out space in the UK.

I remember them DJing at Spectrum on a Monday at Heaven. A bit too hippy for me. Then again I enjoyed a Steve Proctor set there, so anything is possible.

I remember them DJing at Spectrum on a Monday at Heaven. A bit too hippy for me. Then again I enjoyed a Steve Proctor set there, so anything is possible.

Bumped into him at The Orb gig in The Royal Festival Hall last week. First time I'd seen him in about 20 years.

Jack

This is it! Tickets go on sale tomorrow at 11:23am Sunday 23rd July.

https://www.bidolito.co.uk/jams/

GettyImages-86119183.jpg

Sad news: "WARNING: The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu in any of their various past, present or future guises will not be performing music."

Handy updates available from KLF Updates (link).

The book The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu: 2023: A Trilogy, and other retail therapy options on sale at L-13 (link).

The book dropped through the letterbox from Amazon today. A novel, by the looks of things. Likely a rather strange one. Now need to decide if I need any merchandise...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I must be an old fuddy. I read (tried to read) the article in the Guardian today, prompted by the appearance on BBC breakfast. I did not understand a word of it - and I am an educated Englishman.

Sorry - either they, or the journalists, have disappeared up their own fundament and need a powerful torch.

What the Fft?

I must be an old fuddy. I read (tried to read) the article in the Guardian today, prompted by the appearance on BBC breakfast. I did not understand a word of it - and I am an educated Englishman.

Sorry - either they, or the journalists, have disappeared up their own fundament and need a powerful torch.

What the Fft?

But is it art?

I have a friend who is an artist - sculptor and recently glass maker. He is extremely good and we have had endless debates about 'fart' for over 40 years.

In the end something becomes 'art' if enough people ascribe some meaning or value to 'it', beyond the functional level. So paint can be transformed to art, or it can be used to cover a wall. Likewise the old pile of bricks becomes art because someone attaches an artistic description to it. 'Enough people' is a loose definition. When we get a robot or AI accepting something as art, we may be in trouble. A lot of modern art is the equivalent of Mornington Crescent.

Of course plenty of 'art' is described by critics and you wonder to yourself if the artist is probably taking the piss and enjoying a pint on the back of it.

There's a gallery in Canterbury that was selling the most delightful miniature sculptures by Jimmy Cauty that seemed to be themed around the CJA.

I was very taken, but really couldn't think of a space for any of them in our current home.

I wish them every success as the original disruptors and am very glad they're working again.

advertisement

Back