advertisement

2016 Proms and other music festivals.

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
The Proms programme is out!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms

Edinburgh Festival programme open. I've booked for the Gewandhaus, Bartoli singing Norma and The Mariinsky, performing Rheingold. Pletnev is coming with the Russian National Orchestra- he's playing while someone else conducts his orchestra (should be an interesting dynamic). Nézet-Séguin with the Rotterdam Phil, Pappano with the Santa Cecilia and Daniel Harding too with the Swedish RSO.

It's quite a good programme this year at Edinburgh Festival. We've booked JE Gardiner & EBS doing Matt's Pash in the hope he won't be rude to us. Blomstedt/Gewandhaus for Bruckner's 5th. And Sigur Ros.

We're thinking about Gurrelieder - but I've been disappointed too often by Runnicles and the BBC SSO and then there's all that singing to contend with. If they could just do a highlights concert - the Prelude, some of the Wood-dove song, Waldemar's rant at the Almighty then some of part 3 and the last section with the Wild hunt of the summer wind and the blazing chorus.... but that wouldn't be proper I suppose.

Also was tempted by Daniel Harding & Swedish RSO with Mahler's 9th... but I'm wary of a live Mahler 9 after the disappointment of Daniele Gatti's trudge through it with Concertgebouw a few years back.

Cecilia Bartoli and the cast of Norma last night

2vbmyv8.jpg

Edinburgh Festival Curse strikes again. Aged Ps crisis - mum in hospital and dad can't look after himself without her. So I am missing JEG, EBS & Matthew Passion tonight. Wifey is going without me, its more her thing than mine anyway.

Damned if I ever book festival tickets again until aged Ps are in the ground and kids are away doing their own thing!

Having an early pre concert meal in my favourite Kurdish restaurant in Edinburgh and Simon Rattle just walked in with his family

I asked the restraunteur if he knew who Rattle was but he didn't, he did remember the booking was made with a German phone number though

Thank the heavens for BBC iPlayer and its broadcast of the Proms. Am here now back in the States, and can not only listen to but watch the performances as well. Presently listening to the Mahler.

The BBC Proms is top of my list of things I'll miss. (cue sniffle) :)

Last night's Edinburgh Festival concert performance of Rheingold by Gergiev and the МАРИИНСКИЙ ТЕАТР. Astounding! They owned it.

15zhw0k.jpg

Last night Bruckner 5, Blomstedt (he's 88 and still working, having started in 1954!)) and the Gewandhaus. The hairs on the backs of my arms stood up- perfect Bruckner, and those sound levels...

2mq4vbd.jpg

It was very good. But doesn't supplant my memory of Wand & NDRSO in 1998.

Julian Rachlin in the Bach violin concerto was golden toned.

I must be in that picture! - row G in stalls.

I was just thinking about Wand's Bruckner and how old he was at the time! The hall was very hot apparently at his request.
Tomorrow night I'm planting myself in the middle of row F to hear Schiff.

Second Gewandhaus concert tonight, Beethoven piano concerto no.5 (Andras Schiff) then Mendelssohn Symphony No.3. Maybe someone in the row I was in didn't like it....

sxkh94.jpg

advertisement

Back