advertisement

2008 bodgings?

Naim-related:

1. Retrieve the 32.5, Hicap and bolt-together 250 from the loft.
2. Recap the Hicap and 250 with Kendeils, etc
3. Make a pair of "Ultimate X12 Gain Stage" 321 boards (Part-built already)
4. Recap and make as-yet unknown changes to the 32.5

Others:

1. Implement Teddyregs in AKSA GK-1 Pre
2. Look into building an Aleph Xono clone to replace Sowter step-up transformers

Cheers,

Ron

Mike, the word you are looking for is coach bolt. These are the dome head affairs with a square inside to jam the thing when you do up the nut. Related jockeys are coach screws, these are the heavy giant screws with hex heads that go into blind holes and are much favoured by Ikea for their cheap heavy duty shelving which works so well in the shed.

A chap I used to know (also called Mike FWIW) built a bunk bed out of ally scaffolding, the KeeKlamp stuff that goes together with allen bolts. A bit of plywood on top, secured any way you please (drill/bolt, Tyrap) and his 5 yr old loved it. Cost very little and easier than timber.

built a bunk bed out of ally scaffolding, the KeeKlamp stuff
I've always liked Ron Arad's 1981 Rover chair

artwork_images_424613196_314283_ron-arad.jpg

1. build a MM stage to play around with from various bits and bobs
2. rewire RB250
3. maybe better regs and clock for cdp, but at moment pretty happy with everything.

Mike, the word you are looking for is coach bolt. These are the dome head affairs with a square inside to jam the thing when you do up the nut. Related jockeys are coach screws, these are the heavy giant screws with hex heads that go into blind holes and are much favoured by Ikea for their cheap heavy duty shelving which works so well in the shed.

A chap I used to know (also called Mike FWIW) built a bunk bed out of ally scaffolding, the KeeKlamp stuff that goes together with allen bolts. A bit of plywood on top, secured any way you please (drill/bolt, Tyrap) and his 5 yr old loved it. Cost very little and easier than timber.
No, I'm not using carriage bolts or coach screws. I looked it up again, and the things I'm using are sometimes referred to as bed bolts, and probably more often as joint connectors, and more generally as knock down hardware. Ikea uses these too, when a bit more strength is required.

Mike Hanson

Ah yes, I've seen these. Tell you what though, those tarty brass ones are :eek: how much a set of 4? Some flatpacks are cheaper than that, complete!

Nice project though. And y'know what, it wouldn't take more than a weekend to buy and build a Rover chair copy. Local engineering works for the bending, bit of KeeKlamp, P5/P6 Rover car club for a seat, maybe a spot of welding for bracketry :). Might be one for future bodgery, I like getting the welder out and making sparks now and again.:cool: (there isn't a visor icon)

Ah yes, I've seen these. Tell you what though, those tarty brass ones are :eek: how much a set of 4? Some flatpacks are cheaper than that, complete!
Absolutely. I've been picking them up at the local building supply store. They're still a bit more than if I were to buy them directly on the net, but they're handy, and I wasn't exactly sure how many I would need. (i.e. I may decide to add more, if it doesn't seem strong enough with the initial batch.)

Mike Hanson

My first bodging off 2008 has been to relocate my Mana wallshelf into a new corner location and then rebuild the Hi-Fi sytem.

Reasons for doing this;

i) I was suffering from terrible internal ( footfall) and external ( low volume but physically heavy road traffic ) vibration problems on my LP12 when sited at the top of a floor mounted amp rack.
ii) I preferrd the way it looks in a corner

Happy to report that for me, my first Hi-Fi DIY Bodging of 2008 has been an absolute total success.

see a thread i started here:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42793

Finally put a case around my NAC PSU - after comparing VBE'ed SR rails with TeddyReg and Traco styles...

Move phono cards from NAC into dedicated case and PSU - maybe incorporate into Mc Kinnie pre-pre I picked up recently.

Replace sub-chassis on my Sota Sapphire turntable (made of MDF, a bit warped after 20 odd years!).

Fit PFM Flea clock into CDi, plus a few cap and diode changes.

Maybe (just maybe) get new valves for my home made push-pull and compare to the ML #29.

Richard

Hi Richard,

your CDI updates are very interesting for me. It's possible for you to elaborate your labour?* With Pics?

Best Regards

Ronald

* Is that correct English?

Hi Ronald,

"Plans" would be a better word...I haven't started yet :)

I recently managed to pick up a flea board and PSU off another member here, the plan is to fit this into the CDi. While it's open I replace some of the tants, and also try Schottky diodes (I may even have to, to make room for the flea PSU board and transformer).

There's some internal shots of the CDi in the below thread - this details the repair I needed to do to get the thing working;
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33604

Richard

Hi Richard,

I thought, I would be in the 2007 thread...
Ok, to your plan: Which tants? The output tants? I would gladly exchange the output Tants against SMRs, but I do not find her.

Ronald

Not sure which tants currently - I don't have enough to replace all, so will pick ones carefully from around the audio stage. Output caps should be easy to find though - follow the tracks back from the left and right channel output socket. I'll take decent photos when I get around to doing it - I may well try some of the recent group buy Wima's.

Richard

Not sure which tants currently - I don't have enough to replace all, so will pick ones carefully from around the audio stage. Output caps should be easy to find though - follow the tracks back from the left and right channel output socket. I'll take decent photos when I get around to doing it - I may well try some of the recent group buy Wima's.

Richard

When I follow the tracks, I find only OpAmps, but not one cap (in the CDI and CDS).

Interesting Ronald - maybe the subject of a separate thread (someone must have reverse engineered the analogue stage)?

advertisement

Back