advertisement

Do Supports Matter with SS pre-amps?

Hi John,

They sound exactly the same to me.

Can I suggest that you rename the files though - one says 'good' and the other 'bad' when downloaded.

Just call them A & B perhaps.

How about:

A/ absolutely zero difference
B/ even less difference :)

fits with the zeitgeist at ZG.

Hi John,

They sound exactly the same to me.

Can I suggest that you rename the files though - one says 'good' and the other 'bad' when downloaded.

Just call them A & B perhaps.

Sorry, that's how I named them when I created the files. It doesn't really matter, you either hear a difference or you don't. I'm just giving folks a chance to decide for themselves without any pressure to choose a preference.

Relax and enjoy the song, it's one of my favorite Gordon Lightfoot tunes.

Sorry, that's how I named them when I created the files. It doesn't really matter, you either hear a difference or you don't. I'm just giving folks a chance to decide for themselves without any pressure to choose a preference.

Relax and enjoy the song, it's one of my favorite Gordon Lightfoot tunes.

John,

What does this test tell you?

regards,

dave

Seconded...a great album from my youth. Wreck of the Edmund still shivers me timbers to this day as well as stirring up alot of good memories when beer, girls and my next gig were the top concerns of the day.

John,

No preference here, listening through cans connected to a Mac.

Joe

Too many dodgy pop ups to risk the download or spending any amount of time on the website links.
Plus if the difference is that close I probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway as I struggled to tell any differences on a previous lossless/lossy comparison.
Funny how some of the cognoscenti disappear on threads like this, scared of getting it wrong perhaps or saying the wrong thing?

I use Firefox which has a pop-up blocker. Once you've started the download, the Mediafire screen can be closed.

I think the "good setup" actually does sound better. Is that right or are you just messing with our minds?

Ojectively the difference isn't great, I just find the "good setup" version easier to listen to and follow. In cliche flat earth terminology it just seems to "flow" better

Plus if the difference is that close I probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway as I struggled to tell any differences on a previous lossless/lossy comparison.
Funny how some of the cognoscenti disappear on threads like this, scared of getting it wrong perhaps or saying the wrong thing?

The difference might be subtle but it's there for me. I wouldn't have put the files out there if I didn't think so. Last time I checked there were about 15 downloads of each file so I imagine a good number of folks might have got a chance to listen. My intent was to just share the before/after recordings for those that might be interested and not put anyone on the spot. I've done enough of these needle drops to know that consensus is never gonna happen. I also understand why folks might want to keep quiet about what they hear. It is what it is.

I think the "good setup" actually does sound better. Is that right or are you just messing with our minds?

Ojectively the difference isn't great, I just find the "good setup" version easier to listen to and follow. In cliche flat earth terminology it just seems to "flow" better

No, I wouldn't do that which is why I kept the filenames. You're hearing basically what I am as well. Thanks.

I havnt heard your files but have just took delivery of a Naim Fraim and it has without question made a difference. Dont know if every single unit has benefited form being on it or some more than others but collectively it has worked. I would think the CD player and Pre to be the main benefactors then the power supplies.

advertisement

Back