• Deck _1

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Deck _2

Votes: 21 46.7%

• Total voters

CJ1045

You want Briks with that?
Folks,

Very recently I acquired and absolutely MINT SME 20/2A turntable/arm combination for a very nice guy indeed called Darren. Thanks very much Darren if you read this, it was really good to talk and the turntable has lived up to my expectations and more.

Turntable Details:
The SME 20/2A is a highend turntable and number two in the tree of the SME turntables with a list price of £7115.58 inc vat bearing in mind their flagship is £22,500 then this one is their 'affordable' model. The 'A' in the name means it comes with a specially selected SME Series V tonearm with gold lettering.
It looks like this:
http://www.sme.ltd.uk/uploads/images/M20large.jpg
although mine has the slightly older power supply (it was a 2005 model)

Initial Impressions:
The SME comes in a very very strong box. It is very heavy indeed - probably twice as heavy as my LP12 if not more. The attention to detail from SME was there from the off. The turntable has no less than 7 transit screws and the whole suspension can be clamped down too using the very clever adjustment mechanism. It looks industrial, perhaps its mother would call it pretty but I think industrial suits - perhaps with a dash of elegance but only a dash.

Setup:
Having been used to the LP12 I had no idea what a delight the SME would be to setup. The engineering and thought that has gone into the design of this deck and arm is simply stunning. If the LP12 was 5/10 for build (simply as benchmark figure and no reflection of the LP12 itself) then the SME would be 10/10. I really thought the LP12 was good but the SME is in a different league.
I was lucky that I picked the deck up by car so we decided to leave the arm on and simply use the transit screws. When I reached home I simply placed the deck on my stand and removed the two supension lock down screws (all required tools are part of the standard SME package and are also beautifully made), unwound the four subplatter lock down screws and removed the motor transit bolt.
First task was to precisely level the deck - my stand was level anyway so this was easy especially has the deck has four threaded feet that either sit on rubber rings or large ball bearings - up to the user, I used the balls.
With the platter on, record in place and clamped down I setup the suspension. SME trounces the LP12 here. They supply a little piece of metal 3mm thick with the kit. You simply put the hexagon screwdriver into the top of each turret on each corner of the deck in turn. You then turn the screwdriver until the gap between the subchassis and the suspension column is the thickness of the piece of metal. So easy and so elegant. This simply makes the subchassis perfectly level and the correct tension on the o-rings that support it. Compared with the black art of trying to twist the LP12 springs while it is held in a jig until the bounce is vertical it was almost laughably easy !!! We are now pushing 5 minutes of setup time and the deck itself is completely setup - just the tonearm to go!!
The tonearm takes over where the deck left off and then some. It is beautifully made – incredibly precise and so so clever. First off I was a bit shocked to see two simple round holes for mounting the cartridge – no slots just two holes. No room for error there and my Lyra Argo i was a breeze to attach. Next step was to balance the cartridge – unlock the counterweight at the back with the flick of a switch – rotate the knurled knob until the arm balances – flick the switch back. Next dial in the VTF with the precise knob, done. Next with the stylus on a record use the SME supplied measure against the very handy line along the middle of the tonearm and measure near the stylus and towards the edge of the record. In my case the measurement was the same so VTA was set but if I had need to adjust then I would have had to simply insert the supplied tool into a socket on the arm and turn – arm moves up and down – dead easy. I was still a little concerned about the cartridge position – how could the horizontal tracking angle be correct? Turn over to the next page in the superb SME Series V manual and all was revealed. This was the engineering party piece. I am still stunned by the cleverness of the idea. Simply place the supplied gauge over the spindle and the stylus diamond in the pin hole in the gauge. Loosen two hex bolts on the arm base then insert another SME supplied tool and rotate either way until the arm aligns precisely with the gauge. As you turn the tool the stylus pushes or pulls the gauge and the lines on it get more or less in line with the arm. It was so easy this step took about 30 seconds – no more messing around twisting the cartridge a degree here or there. Just before tightening the bolts back up another SME supplied gauge is placed over the spindle and the angle of the arm to the deck can be set in about 10 seconds (this ensures the bias control is accurate). Do up the bolts – arm setup complete.
Test setup :
The SME20/2A was close in second hand value to my LP12 so I did a direct comparison using records to computer hard drive through a high quality ADC so that I could eliminate the cartridge from the test.
The SME/20A was fitted with my Lyra Argo i through the SME supplied Van Den Hul cable to my Linto, then to my Linn Exotik and out to the Line in on my Asus Xonar Sound card. All the recordings were done as 44.1KHz 16 bit and in WAV format for compatibility. The LP12 had a Rosewood plinth with a nearly new subchassis with Cirkus bearing, Nirvana springs, Lingo power supply and Ekos MKII tonearm all bouncing very well. So about as good as you can get without the Radikal,Keel or Ekos SE.
All the recordings were made using Audacity. As thesame cartridge was used there was no issue of level setting as the signal was the same amplitude.

Listening impressions:
Considering the hammering the SME Series V got in ‘The Flat Response’ and the plaudits elsewhere I was expecting an interesting session. Indeed that is what I got but not explicitly how I thought it would go. Before I give you more of my own views I thought it might be interesting to get yours. As a result I have posted some of the needle drops to here:

[links removed - TL]

The WAVs are in pairs with _1 being one deck and _2 consistantly the other. Please do vote on which you prefer and feel free to post why and your views.
One of the decks will be up for sale soon – I will tell you which soon...
Thanks
CJ

Based on Carol Kid
Track 1 sounded cleaner Track 2 reminded me of my Thorens & had more surface noise & clicks

Both were good & it will be interesting to see the results

casual listening on my laptop shows that i prefer track one on all files except the talking heads and i am not sure if i prefer 2 on that one.
i have the prefab sprout and talking heads files as wav rips from my cd's and i think my cd rips sound better than the vinyl rips.

i'd keep whatever played the first of the files.

p.s. ( my cd rip sounds a semi tone or thereabouts lower though which is odd )

2 is fuller less grainy and crisper, smoother etc etc, I expect what people prefer would actually come down to the system they listen to it through.

Spinning through the various "And She Was" needle drops put out there on this site makes me very self satisfied with the presentation of my deck/system in comparison. I have the Prefab Sprout album and both cuts sound very thin from what I'm accustomed to hearing, maybe it's the pressing. :confused:

You are hearing them live - not passing through a recording process - that will make a difference. In my view the needle drops are fine for a/b comparisons like this but not for ultimate judge of quality

CJ

No, I'm listening to needle drops of all the turntable systems including my own.

does the level on file 1 and file 2 on and she was the same?

the file 2 sounds less loud than the file 1.

I prefer the file 1 on 'and she was'.

It should be the same as the cartridge is the same cartridge and all else downstream is identical and I did not change the settings on Audacity/PC.

CJ

John,

Perhaps like getting into your own bed after a holiday!!

I will post tomorrow which is which

Regards
CJ

i must say that i respect you loads for making these files available.
its nice because i dont know you from adam and that i trust that if you reveal that number one was the lp12 (not my personal fave deck) then so be it i will say that your lp12 sounds better than the sme , but if it turns out to be the other way round then that really puts the proverbial cat ( see other thread ) amongst the pigeons ( airborne vermin ) although i notice not many lp12 owners seem to want to post there listening session results here. if this makes a conversation with things to listen too all the bettter for pfm i say.

sorry about the bad english i am in a hurry .
misses wants the puter' back...

I wouldn't cheer or cry over any of these files. None of the ones I've heard that claim to be an LP-12 for instance sound like an LP-12 except in tone perhaps. They are at best, the quality of a bad cassette recording for conveying the emotional content the Linn is capable of in person. I suspect the very same for any other TT or other device, cable, etc as well.

One day folks may get this sorted out. In the meantime, you'd be a fool to judge any two components by what's heard on these downloads.

regards,

dave - not an LP-12 owner

Based on my downloads of And She Was listened to through my PC speakers:

I'd say that they're both very good needledrops.

There's not a huge amount between them. Both TT's are good enough to let the Lyra get on with it without interfering too much.

I'd say that #1 was a bit more precise with notes - especially percussion - starting and stopping more precisely than #2.

And yet #1 is a tiny bit uninvolving compared to #2. #2 draws me into it a little bit more.

If it were my money, I'd stick with whatever TT / arm combination was the cheapest.

I'm sure that listening to them live through a good amp and speakers would highlight the differences more.

My guess is #1 SME, #2 LP12.

I wouldn't cheer or cry over any of these files. None of the ones I've heard that claim to be an LP-12 for instance sound like an LP-12 except in tone perhaps. They are at best, the quality of a bad cassette recording for conveying the emotional content the Linn is capable of in person. I suspect the very same for any other TT or other device, cable, etc as well.

One day folks may get this sorted out. In the meantime, you'd be a fool to judge any two components by what's heard on these downloads.

regards,

dave - not an LP-12 owner

I recon your right, the differences should be much more apparent in person given competent demonstration standards.

you can't handle the truth !!! says the rather average hollywood blockbuster.

only one person has downloaded my digital file - who was it as they have not posted a reply by the looks of it.

400 views not far off and a measly turn out of responses ....

no interest whatsoever copmpared to slagging of avi.

poor show guys come on !!!

It's rather disappointing John. I'd hoped the downloads would show much more of what an LP-12 sounds like being the pro-digital guy that I am. I've got cassettes of my LP-12s which have far more of the emotional content the LP-12 is capable of extracting than these downloads. This will get sorted in time I'm sure though.

dang.
thanks again for the interesting thread.
can you post up a pic of the sme before you flog it as i am interested in purchasing it after the linn destroys it!

advertisement

Back