advertisement

Desktop PC amp. Build thread.

mikesnowdon

resU deretsigeR
As some of you may know I've been researching and asking questions regarding a DIY desktop amp I wanted to build. This thread is firstly to show off the new amp (assembled and running now) and secondly to ask for help on a few issues I still need to resolve.

A little background for those who havent read the orignal thread:

I had a pair of Desktop pc speakers with a built in amp and rubbish drivers. Sitting up in my loft were a lonely pair of Mission 700 series speakers which I wanted to use on the pc. Having no amp to drive them I decided 'just for a laugh' to rig the pc speakers internal amp and use it to drive the Missions. I was pleasntly suprised and, as is the nature of our hobby, I began to ponder what mods I could do the improve sound quality....

The first and most obvious mod was to improve the power supply. So I ordered a small toroidial transformer of nearly double the VA of the original. I also changed the resovoiur/smoothing cap from a 1000uF 16v 'junk' lytic, to a Pana FC 4700uf 25v. Of course the other big problem was the chassis. The amp module was housed in a thin plastic speaker enclosure and that combined with the rubbish original transformer meant the whole thing would resonate from the tx vibration. A new chassis was ordered from www.autocostruire.com.

The tone pot was removed and its associated componentry, and the '3D-Surround' switch and components removed as they were not required and I wanted to keep the signal path as simple as possible. The datasheet for the chip (TEA2025) stated a massive 470uf cap was needed for the output decoupling, so swapping for polyprops was out of the question due to size and cost. Instead I used a few of the holes (made available from the pot and switch removal) to mount a pair of 0.15 Mundorf MKP bypass caps to the 470uF lytics (linked underneath).

I had initaily played with 1uF Mundorf MKP's on the chip input, in place of the 100uF lytics which were there before. This had very good results but ufortunately I played around with the Mundorfs too much (adjusting their position) and broke one of the leads! I've put in a couple of 100uF tants for now.

I also had a Blackgate STD 220uf cap spare - so I added this in place of the 100uF decoupling cap on the chip. Also added a small heatsink to the chip as it gets rather hot driving the Missions!

I have some Tants, Rubycon, and Nichion Muse caps to play with in the feedback area (feel free to advise any better options here), and I also plan to get some more 1uF or 2.2uF Polyprops for the chip input. Rather than Mundorfs I want to try those small square ones (rookie alert!) as they will fit in the limited space better. Incidentaly, the chip datasheet suggests a value of 0.22uF on the chip input but the amp originally had 100uF lytics?

TEA2025 datasheet: http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/T/E/A/2/TEA2025.shtml

There are only 2 manufacturers of this chip so as I allready have the UTC one I decided to buy a 'ST' one too. I'll try the other chip and see if theres a difference and I have a spare incase I cook one.

The original thread is here: http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50566

Well, the amps only been up and running for a few hours so I wont say much about sound quality. I can say that the beefed up power supply has made a diffrence. For a start the new Tx runs really quiet and the hiss/hum issues I had previously are solved. The sound has more guts now, sounding warmer and fuller.

Below is a picture of the amp as was before:

l_4c7cc5c494949a76664f2665f31c79c7.jpg

And heres the new version:

l_0463b8bfd19d7b7e6e7d1ff7e7719f91.jpg

Internals:

l_82578391b2394accbf1a6037fc70972d.jpg

l_c439b915806a2aef459ea27d5260552f.jpg

Theres a couple of things to resolve before im happy the project is complete:

The 4700uF smoothing cap is too tall to mount on the PCB so Ive bodged a teddyreg board and wired it to the main PCB. Im not happy that this is doing any favours to the sound quality so I want to ask for advice on a better soloution. I cant mount the Pana on its side as it wont fit cleanly on PCB. Would it be better to connect the cap to the PCB with some solid copper wire, and ziptie it to the chassis, keeping it as close as possible to the PCB?

Im also unsatisfied with the hookup wire. I used some cheap Cambridge audio coax for the signal inpput and 1.5mm bellwire for the output to the speaker binding posts. What would be a better wire to use? (silver would be ott for this project), some kind of OFC stuff perhaps?

I havent connected the earth pin on the IEC to the chassis yet. Im wondering about a star earth (connecting all the grounds on the terminals together) but I dont know enough about that yet. Any advice?

Also the pot has become noisy but it was fine before, no idea why. Whats happened?

Lastly, is there a better soloution for the output decoupling caps? The main consideration here is that according to the datasheet anything less than 470uF will reduce bass output. Any better ideas than what I've allready done?

Please feel free to advise any other possible mods Ive not noticed.

As a closing remark, I'll say that this is my first amp and Ive really learnt alot from it so far and its been fun. Thanks to all who helped on the original thread, in particular PD.

Cheers,
Mike.

I forgot to ask:

The new power switch I bought has a blue LED which is supposed to iluminate in the on position. The LED dosent come on?

On the rear of the switch are 3 connections, +, A, and Earth. Ive no idea what the correct wiring is for this switch so I wired the positive pin and 'A' pin to the PCB where the original switch was, left the earth alone. It works fine but the LED dosent come on, any ideas what ive done wrong?

7b0d_1_b.JPG

Thanks,
Mike

I'd guess that the LED is powered separately to the switch, the switch will actually be a DPST - how about using the earth and + as the power switch, and lighting the LED with the A (A for anode i'd guess) and earth connection - try it with 2V or so across the switch as you flick it on and off.

I would guess the led switch works as follows. Throwing the switch to on connects the + to the negative so power goes from the mains to the tranny. The switch also connects the + to a resistor and led for the led + supply and the earth is the earth side of the LED.

You should have a wiring diagram for the switch from the supplier. If they don't provide this they are breaking the law.

Also if you are asking questions like this regarding mains wiring I would question whether it would be safe for you to continue. If you get things wrong you could end up with a live case!!!!! It might be better if you use a wall wart power supply!!

I would guess the led switch works as follows. Throwing the switch to on connects the + to the negative so power goes from the mains to the tranny. The switch also connects the + to a resistor and led for the led + supply and the earth is the earth side of the LED.

You should have a wiring diagram for the switch from the supplier. If they don't provide this they are breaking the law.

Also if you are asking questions like this regarding mains wiring I would question whether it would be safe for you to continue. If you get things wrong you could end up with a live case!!!!! It might be better if you use a wall wart power supply!!

The switch is after the smoothing cap and rectifier so its only switching the 12v supply to the chip. Ive looked for a diagram but cant find anything. All ive found is this quote from ebay: " 2 pole design (On/Off) , 3rd poles with LED to be connected to earth" Not sure what this means, any clues?

Silly question, perhaps, but have you tried the wires the other way around on the switch (ie. are the terminals marked + & -)?
The reason I'm asking is that a diode only works one way.

You must never connect an LED to a voltage source without a current limiting resistor - it will draw too much current and die. It is possible the switch already has a resistor inside; can you find out from the manufacturer or a catalog perhaps?

The switch is after the smoothing cap and rectifier so its only switching the 12v supply to the chip. Ive looked for a diagram but cant find anything. All ive found is this quote from ebay: " 2 pole design (On/Off) , 3rd poles with LED to be connected to earth" Not sure what this means, any clues?

Of course it is, sorry, i should get my own brain in gear. I would guess that the earth is the return from the led. It's vital there is a resistor in series with the led or it will go pop. The switch might have a resistor or not?

I tried various configs last night but nothing worked. I first tried wiring the ground on the switch to a ground plane on the PCB. then tried testing with a battery to see which pins feed the LED. Nothing worked. I suspect I may have blown the LED.

The original PC speakers had a LED indicator which had a resistor as described above. I think the best thing to do is work out how to wire the LED on the switch to the point on the PCB where the original LED was, and stilll allowing the switch to function. I'll try this tonight and see how it goes.

Onto more important issues:

#1. I was having a play with the wiring and discovered that running the - speaker ternimal to the ground on the input gave a slightly better sound. Is this what we call 'star-grounding' and if so can anyone advise?

#2. Also I need to connect the 'Earth' pin on the IEC to the chassis. Can anyone confirm for me (for peace of mind) that this is the correct thing to do, or do I connect the earth to the star ground?

#3. Why is my pot noisy when it wasnt before?

#4. What would be a good choice for hookup wire?

#5. Is there a better soloution for the main smoothing cap or should I try and find a simmilar value/quality cap which isnt as tall so it can fit on the pcb?

#6. Output decoupling caps. I need nothing smaller than 470uF here so its difficult to upgrade on lytics due to size. I was trawling the web last night and found some 470uF Silver Mica which seem small enough to fit on the PCB. Are there any other 470uF caps which I should consider?

#7. the caps on the chip input could do with being polyprops/foil jobbys. What would be a good choice here considering the limited space. Value needs to be no less than 0.22uF and nothing more than about 2.2uF at a guess.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I just found this article on the net:

http://www.rane.com/note151.html

Quote: "Another school of thought on where to connect signal ground to the chassis simply moves the center of the star ground to the input jack's ground. This scheme makes the most sense for unbalanced units and balanced units equipped with 1/4" connectors where use of mono plugs is possible"

So I just wire the Earth pin on the iec to the Ground on the input, and connect the chassis and PCB ground here also for best results?

Hi, Mike

The 470uf silver mica caps must 470pF, if they where 470uf they would be the size of doors.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I had a feeling I was wrong on that.

Report.

I had another play with the switch. Wired the ground to a ground point on the pcb (where the original LED was) and wired the A (must mean annode) to the annode connection on the PCB. I decided to read up on LED's before I did this so Im sure it should have worked, but it didnt. I think ive blown the LED so I'll get another switch and try it again.

The next thing I want to do is try a star gound. (Im new to this so this project serves for learning, and is simple enough that it allows an easy gradient to the process) Ive done some studying on the theory and I think I know what Im going to do.

Its pretty simple:

The input ground on the phono sockets will be the star point. I'll connect the main PCB ground, minus speaker terminals, chassis, and mains earth to this point. I experimented with connecting the speaker 'minus' to the input ground and this did sound better.

A more elaborate idea is to seperate every ground point on the pcb and wire each one to a common star, but this would be difficult and time consuming so I'll leave the idea to one side for now. It would be interesting to see if it made a difference though.

Probably the biggest bug I have at the moment is that when I touch the Volume control I get a hum. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Also the there is contact noise from the pot, it crackles when I turn it?

I soldered copper legs on to the main smoothing cap and mounted it sideways on the PCB facing the TX. This seems to have improved the sound slightly in the treble.

For the wiring I think I'll use solid copper for the ground and silver plated copper - teflon insulated wire for the signal and output. I'll probably use 1mm for the signal and 1.5-2.00mm for the output.

Still researching caps for the input (0.22-1.00uF) and output decoupling (470uF).
For the output Im thinking about 470uF Oscons with Polypropylene box caps under the pcb as bypass. Does anyone know if this will be a good idea?

Personally,

the earth does two things, but the main one is to provide safety. If the box is a conductor then my understanding is that the IEC earth should be connected directly to the case using a conductor that isn't doing anything else. Ie do not connect the earth to the pcb and then a separate earth from the pcb to the case. This happens just in case you forget to reconnect the earth cable from the pcb if you are doing any maintenance.

Personally,

the earth does two things, but the main one is to provide safety. If the box is a conductor then my understanding is that the IEC earth should be connected directly to the case using a conductor that isn't doing anything else. Ie do not connect the earth to the pcb and then a separate earth from the pcb to the case. This happens just in case you forget to reconnect the earth cable from the pcb if you are doing any maintenance.

OK, this is corantrary to the article I read (see above link) so I'm confused now. Are you suggesting the earth is connected to the chassis seperately then, and dosent make contact with the 'ground'(0v)? Somebody give me a simple diagram please!!! He,He! Right Im off to google some more data on grounding/earthing Amps. Back soon.....Learning is fun! :cool::D

Right Im off to google some more data on grounding/earthing Amps. Back soon.....Learning is fun! :cool::D

Mike,

Ive really enjoyed reading of your endeavors here. I'm not sure I'd go to this extent, but you must have learned a lot in the process.

Take look at Rod Elliot's site at Elliot Sound Products - tons of useful educational stuff, including whole articles on grounding power amps and endless project to try.

Enjoy, Neil

OK, this is corantrary to the article I read (see above link) so I'm confused now. Are you suggesting the earth is connested to the chassis seperately then, and dosent make contact with the 'ground'(0v)? Somebody give me a siple diagram please!!! He,He! Right Im off to google some more data on grounding/earthing Amps. Back soon.....Learning is fun! :cool::D

Mike, my comments were about one of two issues. i was trying to advise you not to miss the safety aspects of your amplifier. In normal operation everything is fine, the risk of health issues are all about connecting fault conditions to the earth pin of the iec socket. This works a circuit breaker or a fuse.

The other issue is earthing/signal return design. As far as I understand the idea is that all circuit earths are connected at the same point so that there is unlikely to be currents along the earth plane. how this is connected to best advantage I don't know.

I am just not picking up your views on the safety side of things.

Can I give a second vote ton Rod elliott's site.

advertisement

Back