advertisement

NAC102 StarFish merge - Part 1

p.st

pfm Member
More than one and a half years ago I began with the project : Self building of a super preamplifier.

I wanted to merge the comfort of a preamplifier with remote control (input, output, tape monitor switches and the volume – balance control)

with a sound near the best Naim Audio devices.

Everything together is to fit into the case of my NAC102.

The ideas and guidelines:

Case and control electronics, in/output relay, volume control and (modified) output puffer boards comes from my NAC102

Audio electronics Jiiims StarFish without output relay part, Tracos and LM317/337 regulators.

Voltage supply with VBE supported ALW Super Regulators.

Power supply (transformers, rectifiers, caps and the LM317/337 pre regulators) fit in an separate case, I use an old NAP90 case. Strict

separation from StarFish, StageLine and the relay, potentiometer (and so on) supply.

Socket for a StageLine connection (270° with 2 x 24 V supply).

Construction time less than a half year. This was not realistic, it became much more than one year!

Here a photo of the beginning, my opened NAC102:

StarFish_NAC102_00.jpg

After one and a half year the final result:

StarFish_NAC102_29.jpg

In the second part I want to give a step by step description with many pictures of my work.

Regards, Peter

I show now my work in detail with pictures.

Step 1: How can I insert the StarFish PCB into the NAC102 case best?

StarFish_NAC102_01.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_02.jpg

Step 2: All not used parts of the StarFish PCB (the output relay and the Traco part) are removed.

StarFish_NAC102_03.jpg

Step 3: Now the StarFish was built and tested.

StarFish_NAC102_04.jpg

The oscillogram shows perfect a rectangle curve.

StarFish_NAC102_05.jpg

Step 4: All unused components and trace pitches (except GND) in the NAC102 are removed.

StarFish_NAC102_06.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_07.jpg

Step 5: The new connections for volume and balance.

StarFish_NAC102_08.jpg

Step 6: The output buffer is converted to symmetrical voltage supply and tested.

StarFish_NAC102_09.jpg

The output buffer amplifier shows a perfect rectangle curve.

StarFish_NAC102_10.jpg

Step 7: For the14 Superregs and the WIMA 10uF VBE Caps a carrier plate must be build.

StarFish_NAC102_11.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_12.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_13.jpg

Step 8: For the MC/MM preamp is no more place. Therefore a Stageline will be used. In addition the Input-1 socket must be changed to

270° and be supplied with 2 x 24V.

StarFish_NAC102_14.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_15.jpg

Step 9: Audio and digital ground are separated. Possibly a good modification for all NAC102 owner. 2 separate power supplies like 1 x

HiCap and 1 x NAPSC are then necessary.

StarFish_NAC102_16.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_17.jpg

Step 10: Now the most difficult part of the work began. The wiring.

StarFish_NAC102_18.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_19.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_20.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_21.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_22.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_23.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_24.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_25.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_26.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_27.jpg

The final result:

StarFish_NAC102_28.jpg

StarFish_NAC102_29.jpg

Step 12: Listen.

Regards, Peter

W_O_W!!1!

Amazing, I am without words...

Sadly, I have neither balls or skills to undertake such a project on my 102 et Poisson d'etoile.

Truly impressed!

Listening impressions?

/Magnus

W O W !!! Utterly amazing work....i am so humbled that I'm tempted to unplug my soldering iron and go straight to the pub.

Good god man, it looks like a map of the London underground in there :D

I shudder to think how much Naim would charge if they ever chose to upgrade their preamp design in this way. Perhaps this is why they don't or haven't, as it's so labour intensive to do it the way you have.

It would be interesting to compare it with a 252 or 552...

How does the amplifier sound? At present I can only compare the preamplifier against an unmodified NAC72. During the super supply with ALWSRs and the star grounding of Jiiims PCB is the winner clear. Much controls, deep bass and very well pursuing rhythm. Small jazz groups revive now in the my living room. My other components: Modified NAP140 (caps to foil, resistors to RN60, smoothing caps to BHC 10000uf), CD2, Linn LP12/Ittok/AT-OC9, Vienna Accoustic Haydn Signature Speakers, modified HeadLine (caps to foil) with modified NAPSC (with ALWSR), AKG500 Headphone.

In some weeks I will test the amplifier against a NAC282. That becomes exciting. If I find a dealer (in Vienna) with a NAC252 or NAC552 I take my preamp also there.

Peter

Quite possibly the most methodically planned, artfully designed, brilliantly executed, and craziest post I've ever seen on PFM. Bloody marvelous stuff.

How long did this project take you?

Carl

Peter

We are not worthy (well some of us aren't, myself included). That certainly looks the business, and I am sure it will give a 252 a healthy run for Naim's money.

I hope you enjoy the fruits of your efforts for many years to come.

Mark

Definitely one of the best pieces of work I've seen on this, or any other forum. I wouldnt be surprised if it compares very well with the 552.
Very, very nice work.

advertisement

Back