advertisement

Blind Test Shock - Everyting sounds the same.

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
Is there any chance that the posters who continually try to stifle any talk of any difference between any digital components could just stick to this thread and explore the endless possibilities of sameness on the one thread. I promise I'd pop in once or twice to keep up a certain element of frisson.

Or perhaps take up some other noble cause rather than the one of protecting audiophiles form themselves and nasty marketers.

I don't need a Nanny to help me choose my DAC, please please please let me spend my hard earned money in peace, discussing issues with other members who think there is a reason to discuss such issues.

SJB

You'd rather discuss the dream rather than the reality? Indeed, why not?

P.S You're free to buy whatever you want, you know.

PPS I think the differences are minor, butdo exist. Whether worth discussing is a different matter :)

Oh dear - if you won't pay attention to people who want to tell you there is no difference - you might actually have to make your choice by listening. Now where's the fun in that? ;)

You see what's different about this forum and some others, is that there isn't 'truth', denial of which is seen as heresy leading to banning/finger pointing/ridicule etc.

If I were to start a thread about one point of view on a subject, i'd hope to attract people with other differing points of view. Without such a discourse, it's hard to learn and grow your own understanding.

Indeed, worst case you might even have to completely rely on your ears, instead of your eyes and what you have been told...

Everything sounds the same is the most ridiculous expression I have ever heard.
Though if ones ears is full of wax everything will sound the same in a intoned way. You would be surprised by the number of people who suffer this without realizing they have a problem.
For my job my hearing is tested every year so I tend to use a cleaner on a regular basis. Many in the work force fail the hearing test. After spending a week having the wax softened then syringed out they then go on to pass the hearing test.
It might seem laughable but its a factual hearing problem .

...if ones ears is full of wax everything will sound the same in a intoned way. You would be surprised by the number of people who suffer this without realizing they have a problem.

The trouble with posts like this is that they help keep the Emporer's New Clothes tailor in business.

Note that I believe digital replay is more complex than some seem to grasp, and subtle differences do exist to these (waxed?) ears, but the differences are pretty small. As Julf says the key is listening "blind", or with biases carefully considered, before proclaiming that this year's clothes are adorned with gold, when perhaps the invisible hem has just been dropped a couple of inches, even if that does keep the Emperor's bits a tad warmer.

Almost as ridiculous as "everything matters".

Something's do Jult first and foremost our health and our families.
If you mean in a hifi sense ? Some take it too serious even to the extent of polishing plug points every Saturday morning. Have been told it makes a huge difference to the sound. Excuse me but I could not give a **** you wont get me polishing the plug points on any day of the week never mind a Saturday morning. There is far too much good music in my collection to be heard to be bothered with that kind of shit. Maybe these audiophiles should help the wife clean the dishes more if it's going to make you feel good who knows maybe the food will taste better also

Some take it too serious even to the extent of polishing plug points every Saturday morning. Have been told it makes a huge difference to the sound.

Well, that could at least in theory make some difference - unlike the direction of an ethernet cable...

I do not understand what the fuss is all about.

ABX or DBT does exactly what is says on the tin by removing the subjective bias.

An ideal test for the pro industry, lets face it who would want a recording studio set up by ears only ....

When we buy something for the enjoyment of recorded music, what is wrong by purchasing the product we want based on what it sounds like, away from the professional environment where the only one that matters is the one making the purchase.

Almost as ridiculous as "everything matters".
What equipment do you own & why?

Doubt I will receive a sensible response mind.

If everything does indeed sound the same, or as you state (not your opinion, you state as always) why do all here who say so own high end gear, why not purchase a second hand £50 sony cd & amp from richer sounds with a pair of £25 gale speakers, save you lot thousands.

If you can't hear a vast difference from a £30 dvd recorder to a Naim CDX then you have brain malfunction & would get it checked out if I were you.

Is there any chance that the posters who continually try to stifle any talk of any difference between any digital components could just stick to this thread and explore the endless possibilities of sameness on the one thread. I promise I'd pop in once or twice to keep up a certain element of frisson.

SJB

No, no chance at all.

On the other hand could we stop this occasional silliness whereby people afraid of science construct ridiculous straw man arguments which they proceed to demolish.

That would be most useful.

What equipment do you own & why?

And how does that change technical facts?

Doubt I will receive a sensible response mind.

I am glad there are no preconceived notions at work.

As I have stated before, my main system consists of a custom embedded linux computer (backed up by a squeezebox touch) driving active Isobariks (hypex DLCP active filter driving 4 Hypex nc400 modules/channel). My office system has two Genelec near-field monitors and a subwoofer fed by my computer via an Audioengine D1 DAC, and occasionally a DIY tube amp driving LS3/5A's. But that only illustrates my personal subjective preferences.

If everything does indeed sound the same, or as you state (not your opinion, you state as always) why do all here who say so own high end gear

That sentence doesn't really make any sense, but in any case I have never stated that "everything sounds the same".

why not purchase a second hand £50 sony cd & amp from richer sounds with a pair of £25 gale speakers, save you lot thousands.

Yes, why not, if that is what you want. I happen to like my own systems, but I am not claiming they are in any way objectively better than other systems.

If you can't hear a vast difference from a £30 dvd recorder to a Naim CDX then you have brain malfunction & would get it checked out if I were you.

You do seem to like to resort to personal attacks - usually I expect that from 12-year-olds. How about trying something new, like factual, evidence backed and logical arguments?

BIG differences Speakers, rooms, pickup cartridges and pickup arm/turntable assemblies. Weirdly engineered DACs and amps.

Small differences non-eccentrically engineered CD players, DACs and amps.

IME

Even the big differences tend to be small compared between the quality of different recordings too.

I admire the way Sloop John B sneaked a bit of Caribbean patois in to the thread.

And how does that change technical facts?

I am glad there are no preconceived notions at work.

As I have stated before, my main system consists of a custom embedded linux computer (backed up by a squeezebox touch) driving active Isobariks (hypex DLCP active filter driving 4 Hypex nc400 modules/channel). My office system has two Genelec near-field monitors and a subwoofer fed by my computer via an Audioengine D1 DAC, and occasionally a DIY tube amp driving LS3/5A's. But that only illustrates my personal subjective preferences.

That sentence doesn't really make any sense, but in any case I have never stated that "everything sounds the same".

Yes, why not, if that is what you want. I happen to like my own systems, but I am not claiming they are in any way objectively better than other systems.

You do seem to like to resort to personal attacks - usually I expect that from 12-year-olds. How about trying something new, like factual, evidence backed and logical arguments?
Yet you still don't say why you purchased this gear, based on what? was it price (obviously not) was it sound (obviously not as you prefer to look at measurements than listen to music) so what was it/

Also you did state in an earlier post above that there are subtle differences, if that's the case why spend thousands as you have, makes no sense & does not back up your theory.

advertisement

Back