advertisement

leak stereo 20 speaker tapping question !

valvenut

pfm Member
Might seem like a daft question but.... On a leak stereo 20 ,on the speaker tappings you can have 4,8 and 16 ohm but do you turn the little plug around then push it back in or do you take it out and move it as it is but side ways to go from 16 to 8 .hope that describes what I mean ! Cheers

The two pins are different sizes, the little pin fits closest to the 4, 8, 16 writing. The hole spacing shouldn’t allow a wrong position, but is a little vague. Best explained with a pic:

18825360660_bfd697aaa4_b.jpg

This is the 8 Ohm setting. Obviously note that the transformers aren’t mirror image, so one side the plug is closer to the front, the other to the rear. The plugs themselves can be problematic too, so make sure they are clean as are the sockets. It is actually worth gently removing the plastic top and discreetly soldering a piece of wire between the pins to make sure there is a good solid connection here (pic here).

Just using imf80,and was told to use the 16 ohm tap but always seems bright .Seems smother on 8 setting :)

What sounds right almost certainly is right. Mine clearly sounds best into the Tannoys on the 8 Ohm tap and into the 149s on the 16 Ohm tap, which is what I’d expect.

Within the volume envelope I run my 149s my Leak sounds great on the 16 Ohm tap, though I’ve not tried a really powerful amp with them yet. The Leak sounds no less powerful than a Quad 303 into them. I’d love to fling a Krell or something at them just to see what unlimited power sounds like in this context, but there is nothing about the Leak that makes me think anything is wrong. It is a really good system, the best in the house in many respects!

Just using imf80,and was told to use the 16 ohm tap but always seems bright .Seems smother on 8 setting :)

I wouldn't have thought a relatively low powered valve amp would be a good match for IMFs which are rather inefficient and also benefit from a high damping factor to keep their low end in check.

I believe you've just purchased my old Stereo 20 off @foxwelljsly in which case the pins on the speaker tap plugs have already been soldered.

Hope your enjoying the amp.

TS

I have indeed, and have spent the afternoon enjoying it. Sounds wonderful. Even better with both taps matched.

Useful to know about the soldering of the tap plugs. Thanks for that.

regards

Kevin

advertisement

Back