advertisement

DIY speaker Bake off

Right, I've added the date I mentioned above to the event calendar on my site.

http://www.kjfaudio.com/event/2nd-annual-diy-speaker-event/

Can those of you who want to come pop over there and use the RSVP function at the bottom to book in, that way I've got an easy way to see how many are coming and contact you all with updates etc.

There is a comments section at the bottom of the page, if you are planning on bringing some kit could you just pop it in there, I'll curate a list or stuff and post it over to the various fora from time to time.

Stefan

Completely off-topic, but it's great to see so many old hands posting here recently! I wish I could make it, but like James, carting the E-IIIRs from America might be a bit of an endeavor :D

I will bring a pair of 40L passive xover 3 ways if that is useful, Stefan. The x overs are external. They live on stands at home, but I am not too picky. I could just tilt them back on the floor.

Maybe a power amp as well. People should aways be wary of connecting other peoples DIY speakers to your own kit...

Completely off-topic, but it's great to see so many old hands posting here recently! I wish I could make it, but like James, carting the E-IIIRs from America might be a bit of an endeavor :D
There's a handier pair or two in England, but not in Purplewood though. ;)

Hey all, looking forward to this, there is still some room if you want to sign up, also I have enabled comments on the calendar page on my site, those of you bringing kit with you, if you could put your kit in a comment at the bottom of the page I'd appreciate that.

Things have changed very slightly, Dave Shevyn from GIK sends his apologies but cannot now make it, hopefully he'll come next year. Phillip Budd, Linn's speaker engineer is confirmed though. He'll bring over a couple of Exakt boxes, one multiway which he'll create a crossover for my 3 way speakers and one designed primarily for sub linearization which he will press into service to eq and linearize a pair of frugal horns.

Should be interesting.

Stefan

Getting excited now, I spoke with Phil from Linn over the last couple of days and he is looking forward to coming. Still got space for a couple of others.

Stefan

Got most stuff working last night, Phil (Linn) is coming today to get his stuff set up, see you all tomorrow.

Stefan

Sadly, I've had a bit of a family crisis this morning, it has been coming for a while. I probably won't be able to make it :(

It was a very interesting day. The Linn demo was impressive and clearly showed the benefits of DSP through the tiny frugelhorns. The 2nd demo of a new flat tweeter was frustrating; the bits of tracks played to demonstrate how the drivers handled specific aspects of sound were impressive but when we played the live Eagles track we played earlier, I preferred the earlier presentation although how much was due to differences in ancillary equipment we will never know. It will be interesting to see what the DIY community does with the flat tweeter.

The rest of the day was spent swapping the wide mix of DIY speakers brought by attendees. Setting speakers up in an unknown room with unfamiliar ancillary kit is never going to show them in their best light but I have to say that every pair was a pleasure to listen to.

If you have any interest in DIY kit, I highly recommend that you go to the next event Stefan puts on.

A big thanks to Stefans excellent family again this year, for providing backup all day long. The main point for me was hearing the excellent DIY kit. The single driver speakers suprised me by sounding very well suited in the big room. My 3 ways at the end sounded very bright and cold, for comparison. Some excellent DIY amps from people and we didn't hear enough [just a couple of tracks] of those excellent Leak valve amps.

advertisement

Back