advertisement

DIY speaker Bake off

orangeart

KJF Audio Ltd.
I'm thinking of organising another hands on day like I did last year but maybe a little less formal. Last year we sat down and Mark Fenlon and Dr Scott delivered lectures about driver and speaker design. This time I'd like to make it more about listening to speakers and to get more actual hands on time messing with speaker building and drivers but with plenty of time for QandA with me and Mark.

Last time I made this a charity day and asked for donations to Mind the mental health charity. My choice of charity upset someone though who then felt he wasn't able to attend. This year perhaps it's just best to say it's just a normal bake off but with some extra free frills.

Anyone fancy it? What sort of format would folk like to see?

It would be in the same place in Warwickshire on a weekend.

Stefan

I'd love to bring the Ergo E-X along, but I can barely move them out of my listening room, let alone cart them halfway around the world. Teleportation would be so handy.

Would you have the E-IX in the bake-off?

I do have a set here and had them.playing at my last show thingy. I used to have a reasonable interest in getting these made or at least the parts for them but nobody has asked in a while actually.

Stefan,

I would come up again, enjoyed the last one. Personally would maybe not mind a session on room measurement and some EQing or adding room treatment so we can measure and hear the effect? Otherwise happy to listen to a few different types of speakers?

I could be interested, where and when in Warwickshire? I have some open baffle speakers (15" active subs, 12" widebander and horn loaded compression tweeter) that I'm about to build or my Bastanis Wildhorn that were built from a driver kit and plans.

I'd be interested, especially if we get to hear the Ergo IX or other speakers you have made.

I'm not very far away either.

I can do Frugel Horns etc obviously but it would be nice to see and hear some other stuff I as well and I've got my 4 ways and the little Ergo IX speakers.

I'l be back with some dates soon, just trying to get a handle in my mind on what sort of format. It would be in a room where my unit is which I can fit 20 or so people in, it's a bit 'live' for serious listening but plenty of room for folk to bring speakers and other DIY kit to show off. I'd like as much as possible for it to be a DIY free for all.

On the other hand the talks I arranged last time which are on my KJF audio you tube channel went down very well so some ideas on what format folk would like would be nice.

Anyone fancy it? What sort of format would folk like to see?
It would be good to see something like this get established and I would like to attend if I can make it which I couldn't last year.

As to format I would suggest that people bringing their DIY speakers:

* get a short time to talk about the design of their speakers
* demonstrate with some musical clips used by all contributors
* optionally demonstrate with music they consider best shows off their design (this could be done informally later)

Time for informal one-to-one chats and demonstrations is probably as important if not more so. All designs are unlikely to be of equal interest. The formal part to come earlier in the day and to serve primarily as an overview of what speakers are around and what is interesting about them rather than a competition.

Right, I'm thinking of doing this on Saturday 14th October which was alittle later than I wanted, however Dave Shelving from GIK acoustics is available to come and do a talk on room acoustics and treatment which should be much better than the one I did last year! I might be able to persuade the Linn engineers to come and talk about active speakers as well and should have some of thier DSP kit hooked up to some of my speakers by then.

That date fit with folk OK?

Stefan

Right, Saturday 14th October it is. I'll put a spreadsheet up over the next day or two for attendees to sign up on and if they are bringing kit to put that down on.

Stefan, I'll try and make the date, bringing the PFM Specials with me. Where in Warwickshire?

Ooh, lovely, never built those.
There's only one pair in the world, and chilly has them. Mine were recycled into the E-VIIIs a while ago. Unfortunately, the Vifa M26s are now virtually unobtainium, much like the M15CH001s for the E-IIIRs.

Would love to bring mine but have serious anxiety problems at the moment.

An aside, but wishing you all the best, Matt :)
It's yonks since we last met, and nice to see you post here again.

Thanks Martin :)

Yes, It's been such a long time I probably wouldn't recognise you now. It's always a pleasure to see you - Will have to break something to give me an excuse :)

I'm going to move this, I've been rather busy and think I'm going to struggle a bit to get this organised for mid October. I've spoken with Dave Shevyn over at GIK and November 25th works well for him so am proposing we do this then if you are all still up for it?

Stefan

advertisement

Back