advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread Pt II

Terrible results this week-end. Had we beaten the Baggies we would be up to 11th, instead we've dropped to 16th (still only 3 points behind Watford in 10th though). Two more goals from set pieces! We've got two big dominant centre-backs so it's a mystery why this keeps happening. Our keeper is on the small side (for a keeper) but is an excellent shot stopper so he makes up for it that way.

We get a free shot on Saturday, home to Chelsea. Not a game we should be getting anything from so I hope that Hughton goes for it.

It is getting difficult to see where the points we need are going to come from otherwise.

Newcastle whupped Man City 5-2 at the weekend and ended their unbeaten home record...

...U18's that is.
I say stick them in this coming weekend! Oh and apparently we've hired a fleet of coaches to park.

That City under 18 team had players with names like Rosler, Wright-Phillips, Doyle and Macdonald in this squad, who I can confirm are all sons/grandsons of ex-City alumni. There are also a Corrigan and a Moulden, but sadly I don’t think they are related to their City namesakes.

That City under 18 team had players with names like Rosler, Wright-Phillips, Doyle and Macdonald in this squad, who I can confirm are all sons/grandsons of ex-City alumni. There are also a Corrigan and a Moulden, but sadly I don’t think they are related to their City namesakes.
Cor, Paul Moulden! Unlucky to play for a City team that pumped long balls forward for him to head. Being only 4' tall made it rather difficult for him. :D I remember that any ball played to him below waist height, no matter how hard it was kicked, would be controlled and used. He wasn't fast, but by God he was quick!

I read yesterday that Real are so desperate to sign Hazard that they will do a swap with Bale, plus some cash to Chelsea. One thing is for sure, Real are way behind Barca in La Liga and Zinedine Zidane is looking for a solution.

According to today's Daily Star Real will do a straight swap with Ronaldo: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f...o-Ronaldo-swap-deal-Conte-rumours-gossip-news

"The Real Madrid talisman has been heavily linked with a move away from the Bernabeu in recent months.

"Ronaldo, 32, has reportedly told his Real team-mates he wants to quit La Liga and return to the Premier League ...

"However, according to Spanish transfer outlet Don Balon, Ronaldo could be heading to Chelsea.

"They claim Real are keen to use the Portugal international in a swap deal for Eden Hazard this summer.

"Real president Florentino Perez knows chucking Ronaldo into the deal would dramatically reduce the asking price of Hazard.

"Don Balon add that Chelsea are open to the idea of a huge swap deal involving Ronaldo and Hazard.

"Antonio Conte knows the Real superstar would soften the blow of losing their key man."

I could live with Hazard being swapped for Ronaldo. We'd have to find or train up somebody who could do his work. The only issue is Ronaldo is five or six years older than Hazard.

Jack

Cor, Paul Moulden! Unlucky to play for a City team that pumped long balls forward for him to head. Being only 4' tall made it rather difficult for him. :D I remember that any ball played to him below waist height, no matter how hard it was kicked, would be controlled and used. He wasn't fast, but by God he was quick!

I watched Moulden develop through the ranks. Set record after record goal scoring for fun. He was brilliant in the youth set up and we all drooled with anticipation of what was to be.
Sadly it never happened for him. rumour had it he had a liasion with the under aged daughter of some on in senior management and was toast.
One of the worst examples of unrealised promise ended up working in a chip shop.

I watched Moulden develop through the ranks. Set record after record goal scoring for fun. He was brilliant in the youth set up and we all drooled with anticipation of what was to be.
Sadly it never happened for him. rumour had it he had a liasion with the under aged daughter of some on in senior management and was toast.
One of the worst examples of unrealised promise ended up working in a chip shop.
My biggest disappointment was Mark Lillis being sold, my favourite player during the period when I had a season ticket. I remember him taking on Chelsea in the Full Member's Cup final at 5-1 down, getting us to 5-4 and another ten minutes and he would have won it for us. I was driving at the time and just had to stop!

Some interesting figures on wages, attendances, etc comparing England with other countries and teams. In case you thought you might be getting ripped off at the gate, the comparitive gate costs are interesting.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42715295

One thing they don't mention in the attendance figures is that the championship teams play 46 games per season compared with 38 in the top leagues.

Four home games for Newcastle alone would be an extra 200,000 on the total.

Oh well, Chelsea now look forward to thrashing Newcastle in the FA Cup. The fat waiter always deserves it.

Jack

Jack
I realise Chelski are facing a transfer ban of who knows how long after been found to have not complied with the regulations over signing dozens of kids but trying to sign Andy Carroll and now Peter Crouch after Carrol’s Injury puts him out for months reeks of the desperation of trying to get in before any ban is announced.

advertisement

Back