advertisement

Do you buy hifi because it looks good or sounds good?

There's a world of difference between power amps, even with super low distortion. A blind test of class A/B chip-mp vs Ncore was enligthening in that respect.

There's a world of difference between power amps, even with super low distortion. A blind test of class A/B chip-mp vs Ncore was enligthening in that respect.

How did you match levels? What was the difference you heard?

I didn't match levels, I played a variety of music at different volume levels. The differences were present irrespective of how quiet or loud music was played. The Ncores had more grip in the bass but weren't as sweet in the mid and treble. These traits weren't affected by the volume level. I'd be very tempted with a set of Ncores for my bass and my current amps for the rest.

Please don't bother telling me about equal loudness curves etc, as I mentioned the differences were irrespective of level.

As an isobarik user I think I can clearly claim to be a function over form advocate.
Ha! You obviously haven't seen Ureis...Anyway sound, definitely sound.
Listen with my eyes shut generally.
481x600-2015040700001.jpg

If something looks crap I wont buy it, however good the sound because there is just so much great looking kit around that sounds absolutely great.
A hair shirt amplifier from a backroom boffin, however good it sounds, just wont get a look in when I can pick up a vintage Pioneer or Marantz, built like a tank and sonically more than good enough.
That was how I came to buy a Musical Fidelity A-100 over a CB Naim NAIT2 back in the latter half of the 1980s. I didn't think the Naim looked the part, especially with its tractor wheel knobs and tiny dials, so I didn't even bother listening to it. Big mistake, but I live and learn.

Both here, too. I bought a Planar 3 on account of its sleek and minimalist appearance, as well as on reports that it sounded good. Later I got a teak A60 for both reasons and haven't been disappointed with either aspects. Not a fan of A60s with black bonnets, although I do have one of them as well.

Two or three years ago I replaced the Rega's brushed black plinth with the beautiful matte black one with wood surround (I think it's either rimu or tawa?) that I'd long desired. So now the TT, amplifier, and speakers matched! Also the system rack and speaker stands. Would love to have a CD player with matching wooden side panels. I think that'll be a DIY project I'll never start.

Like many here I prefer vintage gear for both its looks and easy servicing if required. Elegant and timeless designs make me happy. Usually it sounds really good as well.

For the last couple of days I've been running a silver fascia Kenwood amplifier from the late 70s. I've been enjoying it thoroughly (it sounds quite different to the A60 - oh yes it does!) - but it does upset the system's visual harmony somewhat...

That was how I came to buy a Musical Fidelity A-100 over a CB Naim NAIT2 back in the latter half of the 1980s. I didn't think the Naim looked the part, especially with its tractor wheel knobs and tiny dials, so I didn't even bother listening to it. Big mistake, but I live and learn.
I agree with you on their respective appearances. I loved the A-1 and A-100 in the day, and I liked their sound. Fortunately they were out of my price range so I didn't have to suffer fried capacitor syndrome later. I thought Naim amplifiers looked cheap for their price. Later I came to appreciate their design more. The late CB trim is my pick. A classic.

Of 80s amplifiers I liked the Onixes, too. Or the one I have ever seen in the real. Somehow it did the small box with big knobs things more elegantly than Naim did.

Last edited:
There's no reason why good sounding kit can't be aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately we often end up with one or the other. The industrial look of much good sounding hifi has never been a problem for me and I'm lucky to have a very understanding wife.

Bit of a tart here- Gyro ( self explanatory) ANK-LX in an amazing Palisander finish....... just as well it sounds good.:)

Bit of a
tart here- Gyro ( self explanatory) ANK-LX in an amazing Palisander finish....... just as well it sounds good.:)
Definitely the Gyro - still looks amazing and always draws admiring looks. Gotta say though that I’ve always bought for sound quality rather than looks. If it passes the looks good test as well then that’s a bonus. Recently got a DAVE and got a thumbs up from the wife.:)

I bought my Garrard 401 purely based on how it looks, as I'd never heard one before. It's one of those designs that I enjoy having as an object on the room.

The ideal replay would be so small that it would fit into the case of a Tivoli Model One radio.

Unfortunately such miniaturisation always seems to come with a performance penalty. The ideal then is either to hide big pieces in a suitable cupboard or even better in another room.

And there are few less pretty sights than a large TV screen, not working. Why don’t they make them with a nice cloth cover for times not used?

ATB from George

I bought my HiFi before I had a girlfriend... it was all bought purely for sonic reasons. To be honest it's quite neat & the Mana rack has a sort of industrial-cool look to it.

No way could I get Maggies into the living room now though. :D

Knob feel and ergonomics are important, too. And build matters - the best sounding kit isn’t a lot of use if it can no longer be repaired and serviced - or even opened!

Couldn't give a toss what it looks like personally, SQ is it.
Aesthetics, price, reputation, forum myths & personal bias will influence the sound you hear.

Price will be the pick of the bunch when listening to hifi equipment where bias is concerned.

Blind test them, it's the only way to at least remove the bias.

I buy things I like the look of. I build gear that performs well.
I buy things that perform well (Innuos, Parasound), and build gear that looks good. To me, at least.
I will be honest; I bought an Oracle Delphi because I love the look of it, in an engineering sense. It only took me 30 years to afford one!
I frequently listen in the dark, so as long as I have pretty lights it's all good.

I should mention that my pre and power amp are both uncased, rats nest of lethal wires everwhere

In our sitting room I've gone for the best sounding (to me) set-up I can afford that looks acceptable: Michel Orbe, Cyrus electronics (in an oak X-Arbour stand) & Oak Spendor D7 to match the other furniture.

In my man cave I'm less focussed on looks and have a mixture of bits and bobs although it happens to look pretty good I think.

advertisement

Back